Free League Publishing Announce Alien: The Roleplaying Game

Started by Corporal Hicks, Apr 26, 2019, 05:35:38 PM

Author
Free League Publishing Announce Alien: The Roleplaying Game (Read 161,884 times)

Nightmare Asylum

Haven't started that one yet so I don't know entirely, but from what I've been told by my group's GM, it is centered around a squad of Colonial Marines (but different from the upcoming expansion that is actually titled "Colonial Marines").

Kradan

Curse of title "Colonial Marines" sub-title is yet to be overthrown

SM

Quote from: Trash Queen on Feb 07, 2021, 02:59:27 AM
What's destroyer of worlds?

Marines searching for fugitives.

Spoiler
There's a space elevator and UPP.
[close]

Local Trouble

BlueMarsalis79

Okay thank you people.

Kailem

Kailem

Yeah Destroyer is awesome. We played it last year over a period of several weeks and had a ton of fun. It's essentially the second part of a trilogy that began with Chariot, though you don't have to have played that first in order to understand it as Destroyer features completely new characters in a different setting (there are just some story points that call back to Chariot that you'll recognise if you played that first).

As people have said, the characters are all Colonial Marines stationed on a colony base who are tasked with finding some awol fugitives on the eve of an invasion. It's a lot longer than Chariot and is very much an "Aliens"-inspired adventure as opposed to the "Alien" influence of that one. So lots more action, lots more big guns, lots more creatures, and a lot of really cool twists that led to a lot of great "ohhhhhh ****!" moments.

It's really fun and definitely worth playing if you liked Chariot or the rpg in general (especially if you've been itching for more smart guns and apc's to play with). Just make sure you set aside plenty of time to get through it, as it's probably about twice as long as Chariot is, with each act feeling like a mini adventure on its own.

BlueMarsalis79

I will buy for the lore to be honest

Kailem

The vast majority of the lore stuff you'll find in the core book, though Destroyer certainly has some of its own. There are some new weapons, vehicles and locations that were cool to see and play with.

The upcoming Colonial Marines Operations Manual sourcebook will probably be a good choice too if you're looking at this from a lore standpoint, since it's apparently going to detail the history and organisation of the marines as well as the various factions in play on the Frontier along with various weapons, vehicles and equipment.

Local Trouble

I hope the RPG realizes the UPP better than the comics did.

BlueMarsalis79

Kailem

By the sounds of it they're going to be expanded upon somewhat in the Colonial Marines book, though if I recall correctly from a recent interview with Andrew Gaska they're not going to be the major focus, obviously. But I like how they've been handled in it so far.

Local Trouble

I want UPP Spetsnaz with sky-blue berets and AK-style pulse rifles.

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 07, 2021, 08:46:22 PM
I want UPP Spetsnaz with sky-blue berets and AK-style pulse rifles.

Pulse technology is decadent western imperialist toy, it break if looked at funny. You see Ivan, under space communism we simply use bigger boolet.

Local Trouble

Yeah, I'd expect the UPP uses some cheaper knock-off that's more potentially hazardous to the operator.  Good call.

SM

SM

Quote from: Kailem on Feb 07, 2021, 03:25:31 PM
Yeah Destroyer is awesome. We played it last year over a period of several weeks and had a ton of fun. It's essentially the second part of a trilogy that began with Chariot, though you don't have to have played that first in order to understand it as Destroyer features completely new characters in a different setting (there are just some story points that call back to Chariot that you'll recognise if you played that first).

As people have said, the characters are all Colonial Marines stationed on a colony base who are tasked with finding some awol fugitives on the eve of an invasion. It's a lot longer than Chariot and is very much an "Aliens"-inspired adventure as opposed to the "Alien" influence of that one. So lots more action, lots more big guns, lots more creatures, and a lot of really cool twists that led to a lot of great "ohhhhhh ****!" moments.

It's really fun and definitely worth playing if you liked Chariot or the rpg in general (especially if you've been itching for more smart guns and apc's to play with). Just make sure you set aside plenty of time to get through it, as it's probably about twice as long as Chariot is, with each act feeling like a mini adventure on its own.

Does it still have that dodgy quote from the Mahabharata?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed