Free League Publishing Announce Alien: The Roleplaying Game

Started by Corporal Hicks, Apr 26, 2019, 05:35:38 PM

Author
Free League Publishing Announce Alien: The Roleplaying Game (Read 165,702 times)

Xenomrph

Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Nov 27, 2019, 10:15:51 PM
If any other media returns to LV-223 and contradicts the DH series, (more than other stuff already does) does that mean it's no longer canon or it's just the reality within the AVP Verse or something else?

Just a reminder that contradiction =/= "not canon".

Quote from: Local Trouble on Nov 27, 2019, 09:21:39 PM
Is it canon?
Yes.
Quote from: Local Trouble on Nov 28, 2019, 12:01:25 AM
I think a devoted apocryphile like Xenomrph would still claim it could all fit.
Well I mean, obviously it can.

The RPG references the Kenner comics more than once. Like I've been saying for years, they (reads: elements of them) are canon. :P

The Old One

The Old One

I know &
I don't deny aspects of them, probably exist in the canon- for instance the space station from AVP 1999 being included means the location is canon, something that I really liked seeing, but even as the original has no story to speak of- that "campaign" is not necessarily canon. But as with the original AlienĀ³ -Aliens DH published sequel series, a point does emerge when a contradiction becomes unworkable. And the viewer chooses which to prioritize. Even if an official outline is followed by 20th Century Fox.

Local Trouble

Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Nov 28, 2019, 02:31:39 AMa point does emerge when a contradiction becomes unworkable.

Try him.

The Old One

I really love the book's repurposing of... not as believable aspects. Such as stuff from the "Old EU" reintegrated. Also regardless of my neverending contempt for F&S/L&D/The Rage War/OotS/RoP/SoS, if I was able to change one thing about the book, it's the Alien itself that takes priority, because the section on it's such a mess, the AVPE Bestiary format is so much more simple, believable and more potentially expansive than what the team behind it ultimately went with.

Xenomrph

Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Nov 28, 2019, 02:31:39 AM
a point does emerge when a contradiction becomes unworkable.
The "problem" with this line of thinking is that "canon" and "continuity" aren't synonyms. A lot of people treat them like they are and that's perfectly fine, but conceptually that's never been the case.

I'm not talking about a "canon debate", or even "canon" as it specifically applies to the Alien franchise, I'm talking "canon" as a universal concept. "Canon" means "that which is accepted as genuine" (who is doing the "accepting" is another discussion entirely), and that's got nothing to do with continuity.

Again I'm not even talking about Alien canon or looking for a canon debate, although I do find the concept genuinely interesting and wouldn't mind talking about it in PMs or whatever. This post is more of food for thought. :)

Quotethe AVPE Bestiary format is so much more simple, believable and more potentially expansive
I take it you're referring to the AvP: Extinction video game? I loved the bestiary in that, I thought it was awesome that they tried to include semi-plausible explanations for obviously wacky gameplay conventions and ideas, it was a great touch. I like the Predator backstories that NECA writes up for their Kenner remakes for the same reason.

The Old One

I guess the term Canon often worked for myself also though because I generally don't hold what I consider "non-continuity" I guess is the correct term, in particular high esteem, but that's not always the case. Particularly I can think of a number of good DH works that I don't consider part of the "continuity" none obtrusive to the current continuity though- yet.

Yes, the Extinction Bestiary- I thought it was a great way of simplifying the caste system, apart from the Drone/Warrior distinction.

I felt the RPG really went overboard with needless complexity in that regard.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Nov 28, 2019, 03:04:13 AM
Yes, the Extinction Bestiary- I thought it was a great way of simplifying the caste system, apart from the Drone/Warrior distinction.

I felt the RPG really went overboard with needless complexity in that regard.
I didn't really get the vibe that AvPE was "simplifying" anything, but the bestiary was a classy attempt at taking really obviously game-centric concepts and trying to rationalize them "in universe", and I appreciated that.

I haven't read the RPG's chapter about Aliens yet, but I imagine having a bunch of codified Alien "types" is similarly for game purposes, so that the GM and players have some options on what they might face and to give some kind of structure to that. It's like the AvPE bestiary, but tackling it from a different direction.

I'm not saying the RPG's approach is necessarily the right way to do it, but I understand it. Players enjoy games (of all types) more when it "makes sense" and it doesn't feel like they're being cheated or they absolutely can't win.

The Old One

The Old One

Just say what you think when you see it, I get what you're saying, and I don't even see an issue with nearly any of the text itself in the section, but the terminology, organisation and methodology for each Alien version existing is a mess, even from the perspective of someone who accepts all Alien variation it's not great to navigate.

Especially in comparison to AVPE's design, I suppose simplify wasn't the correct term but it's certainly easier to understand while remaining believably complex, it struck the balance.

And I don't like the suggestions it described on the penultimate page, but that's not much of importance.

Local Trouble

I was expecting a furious canon war by now.  :(

SM

Quote from: Local Trouble on Nov 28, 2019, 12:09:01 AM
Since the RPG includes Corporal Hicks, I wonder if it references a mysterious character who speaks in short sentences and is known only by his initials.

Spoiler
[close]

Bitch I got a film character named after me.

Xenomrph

Quote from: Local Trouble on Nov 28, 2019, 06:51:11 AM
How do you know there isn't a high-stakes covert war happening right under your nose right this very second?

SiL

Quote from: SM on Nov 28, 2019, 07:24:52 AM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Nov 28, 2019, 12:09:01 AM
Since the RPG includes Corporal Hicks, I wonder if it references a mysterious character who speaks in short sentences and is known only by his initials.

Spoiler
[close]

Bitch I got a film character named after me.
Which one?

SM

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Xenomrph on Nov 28, 2019, 08:25:30 AM
How do you know there isn't a high-stakes covert war happening right under your nose right this very second?

Okay, this made me laugh out loud.  :D

Xenomrph

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Nov 28, 2019, 12:56:45 PM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Nov 28, 2019, 08:25:30 AM

Okay, this made me laugh out loud.  :D
Kind sir the Canon Cold War is no laughing matter>:(

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed