Alien: Specimen - 40th Anniversary Short

Started by Nightmare Asylum, Apr 02, 2019, 07:11:33 PM

Author
Alien: Specimen - 40th Anniversary Short (Read 48,305 times)

The Old One

The Old One

All. No?

Huggs

Quote from: The Old One on Apr 07, 2019, 07:16:58 PM
All. No?

https://media.giphy.com/media/xUOwFT9vuJWIDHR1bG/giphy.gif

Unfortunately it is all. That's just a well tailored person suit.  ;)

SM

But it underscores another fact that Alien 3 was Removed from the likelihood of reality.

What?

The Old One

The Old One

Something, something Sulaco Alien stowaway, something, something Sulaco electrical inferno.

Huggs

"It was electrical, in the...subflooring"

The Old One

The Old One

It was with us all the way.

Honestly the short, bestows hope for the future of the series upon myself. Genuinely.

"And then her heart changed, or at least she understood it;
and the winter passed, and the sun shone upon her."

Voodoo Magic

The king of semantics.

Quote from: SiL on Apr 07, 2019, 09:16:49 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Apr 07, 2019, 02:35:11 PM
Does "well made poop" suffice?
Much better!

QuoteNot producing the desired effect i.e. ineffective would equate to poorly made in my book,
It didn't produce the desired effect in you, but it did in many others. Just cos I can find people who don't think Alien is scary or Life of Brian is funny or Die Hard is exciting doesn't make those movies poorly made.

Or to flip it around, just because there are some people who think AvPR is scary doesn't mean it's well made :D

But yes, I get what you mean.

That said, one thing that I'd say is poorly made is the sound design. Way too heavy handed, especially when the face hugger finally appeared.

The sound design was "poorly made"?  I honestly found it to be fine. Just because you found it too heavy handed doesn't mean the rest of us found it heavy handed and was poorly made, automatically meaning the sound mix was bad. Just because it didn't produce the desired effect to you doesn't make it poorly made!

You make it too easy.  :laugh:

SiL

Quote from: The Old One on Apr 07, 2019, 09:10:38 PM
Honestly the short, bestows hope for the future of the series upon myself. Genuinely.
How come? What gets you about it?

The Old One

The Old One

The simultaneous creative and consistent nature, the spirit of it is passionate.

Perhaps because a Female Director instead of a Male Director for once awarded it a fresh perspective? I don't know.
Still life in it yet cinematically.

SiL

I had deleted the post for the semantics but hey -

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Apr 07, 2019, 09:29:38 PM
The sound design was "poorly made"?  I honestly found it to be fine. Just because you found it too heavy handed doesn't mean the rest of us found it heavy handed and was poorly made, automatically meaning the sound mix was bad. Just because it didn't produce the desired effect to you doesn't make it poorly made!

That's great if you didn't mind it, but many of the audio effects don't sit in the mix very well, such as when she touches the slime or basically anything the face hugger does. When the hugger and dog are fighting off camera it sounds like they just lowered the volume, rather than have the sound come from further away in the environment. These are examples of poor craftsmanship in the sound design, but can still produce results which many people may not mind  :)

Huggs

Quote from: SiL on Apr 07, 2019, 09:39:12 PM

That's great if you didn't mind it, but many of the audio effects don't sit in the mix very well, such as when she touches the slime or basically anything the face hugger does. When the hugger and dog are fighting off camera it sounds like they just lowered the volume, rather than have the sound come from further away in the environment. These are examples of poor craftsmanship in the sound design, but can still produce results which many people may not mind  :)

I wouldn't expect much from these in the audio department. One of the steps a character took in the last one sounded like she had a 200lb sack of potatoes for a foot.

SiL

Yeah, sound is pretty much the most important thing for immersion but almost always the last thing short filmmakers prioritise.

Voodoo Magic

After I replied I guess.

That's the thing. Calling something poorly made. You were doing the very thing you were criticizing me for. Sound mix for you. Camera placement and editing for me. While mostly no one else complained about any of the three.

I honestly hope pointing this out will encourage you to cut people more slack in the future. Cheers.

SiL

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Apr 07, 2019, 09:50:24 PM

After I replied I guess.
Before, actually.

QuoteThat's the thing. Calling something poorly made. You were doing the very thing you were criticizing me for. Sound mix for you. Camera placement and editing for me. While mostly no one else complained about any of the three.

I honestly hope pointing this out will encourage you to cut people more slack in the future. Cheers.
What? I said it was poorly made and gave examples of poor craftsmanship in the work - in how it was made, hence poorly made. You said it was poorly made and said "I didn't find it scary". They're not the same thing.

I wasn't criticising you, period, let alone for saying it was poorly made? I gave repeated examples of how a film not working for someone doesn't necessarily mean it's poorly made and was just curious if you had actual critique of the filmmaking.

What about the camera placement and editing didn't you like? What did you think was poor about it?

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: SiL on Apr 07, 2019, 10:00:36 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Apr 07, 2019, 09:50:24 PM

After I replied I guess.
Before, actually.

:P

QuoteThat's the thing. Calling something poorly made. You were doing the very thing you were criticizing me for. Sound mix for you. Camera placement and editing for me. While mostly no one else complained about any of the three.

What? I said it was poorly made and gave examples of poor craftsmanship in the work - in how it was made, hence poorly made. You said it was poorly made and said "I didn't find it scary". They're not the same thing.

Oy. "I didn't find it scary" - Is that your quote? It certainly wasn't mine.

QuoteI wasn't criticising you, period, let alone for saying it was poorly made? I gave repeated examples of how a film not working for someone doesn't necessarily mean it's poorly made and was just curious if you had actual critique of the filmmaking.

Alrighty then.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed