"Doesn't Everyone Want Their Parents Dead?" Prometheus 10th Anniversary Retrospective - AvP Galaxy Podcast #147

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jul 15, 2022, 04:44:41 PM

Author
"Doesn't Everyone Want Their Parents Dead?" Prometheus 10th Anniversary Retrospective - AvP Galaxy Podcast #147 (Read 19,136 times)

Crazy Rich

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: ModMonkey on Jul 18, 2022, 02:12:06 AMC'mon, guys, like Adam said, you're marking the tenth anniversary of this film. Does every review have to be a literal dogpile? If I can make a suggestion, in future, maybe have at least one person on the panel that might have a differing opinion on the subject?
We did discuss about that for future podcasts, and besides this, there's no other film in the franchise that we agree so much on (not even AvPR!). So this is a nexus of stars so to speak, no risk of an "all rotten score" again. If you listen to the Alien3 one we did in May (here) there is already more of a balance. I love Alien3 for one and was more eager to talk about the praiseworthy aspects of it.

Quote from: ModMonkey on Jul 18, 2022, 02:12:06 AMThere are those of us in the fandom who don't think the movie is as shit as you do, and don't think it's too intellectual for anyone, and it just feels like every episode I listen to is everyone hating so very hard on this franchise.
If you listened to the podcast in full, we mention all these things you list and we mention that it's not a bad thing to like the film or be inspired by it. We never pose our opinion as gospel - I even apologize for the over-enthusiastic spiral of hatred at one point. We also praise a lot of aspects of the film - mostly technical ones, but there's a lot to praise in the film regardless of how we perceive it. This is said explicitly several times.

Quote from: ModMonkey on Jul 18, 2022, 02:12:06 AMLately, AVPG has become my least looked forward to podcast to listen to and it used to be in my top three. Where's the joy, guys?
Thank you for the feedback!

Immortan Jonesy

I enjoyed the podcast, even though I like Prometheus. :laugh:
It was fun and interesting. After all they are aware of how admirable Scott is for making movies at his current age. In fact it was like a secular reading so to speak. ;D

BlueMarsalis79

I enjoyed it but I must disagree Omegamorph. It was an absolute dogpile with very little respite at all honestly.

No mention of the medpod scene stands out as an obvious thing, especially since it's what peaked Ridley Scott's interest in the first place.

I honestly also thought the prior anniversary podcast also leaned far and away more negative than positive overall.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: ModMonkey on Jul 18, 2022, 02:12:06 AMC'mon, guys, like Adam said, you're marking the tenth anniversary of this film. Does every review have to be a literal dogpile?

It can't be helped if it's not something that is enjoyed by the panel. It's our opinions. And as I've said, I hate expending energy on things I dislike. I'd rather we just sit and talk about all the elements I prefer over the things I dislike, but I'm not going to censor others or myself if discussions or things take a turn in that direction.

I'm sorry that you feel we've been overly negative lately. And I'm sorry that recent projects have been ones not liked or recent anniversaries have been over divisive films. I can't help those timings or releases, nor would I dictate to our panel over whether or not they can be negative or not.

I can tell you I'm skipping a review of Colony War as I don't have the mental strength to deal with either recording or editing that discussion. And I can also tell you that I'm purposefully scheduling discussions on topics that I know we enjoy when we're now hitting these big patches of negativity.

Quote from: Kradan on Jul 18, 2022, 06:41:34 AMYeah, for an anniversary podcast there was surprisingly little talk about positives

An anniversary doesn't preclude a positive episode. It's just a revisit.

Quote from: ModMonkey on Jul 18, 2022, 02:12:06 AMWhere's the joy, guys?

I'm very much hoping August/September are joyous months with Prey related content.

BlueMarsalis79

Maybe... having a feminine perspective would diversify things a bit.  ;D

With these franchises with leading ladies.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I will say I'm not looking to extend the panel either. 4 hosts is hard enough work, 5 was even worse.

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Jul 16, 2022, 06:07:46 AMSo we can blame Roland Emmerich for Ridley reimagining the SJ as a suit lol I remember the movie Stargate pioneered that. Although they were mechanical suits.

Honestly, it was never a connection I really made. In regards to Stargate, I think it's more about the parasites than the armour, but it's hard to disagree with ID4's take on it possibly being an inspiration. We've seen plenty of parasitical life in science-fiction, but that kind of biological suit isn't that common.

Like I said in the episode, I actually really like the concept of the Engineers and this kind of biological suit is also something I think works really well too.

Kradan

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 18, 2022, 09:35:44 AM
Quote from: Kradan on Jul 18, 2022, 06:41:34 AMYeah, for an anniversary podcast there was surprisingly little talk about positives

An anniversary doesn't preclude a positive episode. It's just a revisit.

Gee, I hope you guys will be more positive for The Predator 10th anniversary

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 18, 2022, 09:45:42 AMI will say I'm not looking to extend the panel either. 4 hosts is hard enough work, 5 was even worse.

Who said anything about extending?  :laugh:

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Kradan on Jul 18, 2022, 09:54:51 AMGee, I hope you guys will be more positive for The Predator 10th anniversary
Oh I am positive I have tons to say about that one...  ;D

(in a way it goes deeper than Prometheus because of the horrid neurodivergent representation...)

BlueMarsalis79

Quote from: Omegamorph on Jul 18, 2022, 10:12:25 AM
Quote from: Kradan on Jul 18, 2022, 09:54:50 AMGee, I hope you guys will be more positive for The Predator 10th anniversary
Oh I am positive I have tons to say about that one...  ;D

(in a way it goes deeper than Prometheus because of the horrid neurodivergent representation...)

dave1978

Im still to recover from the disappointment i felt watching this movie in the cinema.  I dont think i ever will,  it was such an awful feeling about half way through when it just nose dives into nonsense.

OmegaZilla

Quote from: dave1978 on Jul 18, 2022, 10:42:21 AMIm still to recover from the disappointment i felt watching this movie in the cinema.  I dont think i ever will,  it was such an awful feeling about half way through when it just nose dives into nonsense.
join me my friend, we shall dance to the dark and fire, curse Jon Spaihts and the likes

Corporal Hicks

I still disagree with you about Spaihts. I stand by those earlier drafts (warts and alls).

BlueMarsalis79

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 18, 2022, 10:52:38 AMI still disagree with you about Spaihts. I stand by those earlier drafts (warts and alls).

That's exactly the kind of thing I am talking about.

And why this ends up being the best tenth anniversary podcast retrospective:

https://twitter.com/ScriptApart/status/1524283717690212352

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed