The biggest mindf**k for me (SPOILERS!!!!!)

Started by Hive Tyrant, Jun 01, 2012, 12:31:22 AM

Author
The biggest mindf**k for me (SPOILERS!!!!!) (Read 10,398 times)

BioMechanical

Quote from: nendo on Jun 01, 2012, 02:52:04 AM
Quote from: BioMechanical on Jun 01, 2012, 02:48:50 AM
Quote from: nendo on Jun 01, 2012, 02:45:51 AM
Quote from: BioMechanical on Jun 01, 2012, 02:39:32 AM
Quote from: Samayel on Jun 01, 2012, 02:36:21 AM
Quote from: BioMechanical on Jun 01, 2012, 02:34:54 AM
So what about the scene from the trailers where the Jockey is completly suited up, with helmet and all, sitting in the juggernaut chair?

Spoiler
That suit is an integral part of the chair.
[close]

So it's not the same suit? Why are people saying that the eingineer never dawns the helmet and suit, when it clearly show him or some other engineer suited up in the trailers?

Spoiler
because the shot in the trailer is realy the only shot in the movie of the living space jockey with the suit on. Its part of the chair. The suit in shown multple times throughout the movie. But they are either from dead bodies or fuzzy holograms[\spoiler]
[close]
Spoiler
yep. There one extra seen of the helmet being applied but that is all you see of the living space jockey in the suit[\spoiler]

Spoiler
So he sits in the chair and the suit and helmet fold onto him?
[close]
[close]

I guess they're saving the suit in all its glory for the sequal.. Lol.

RoaryUK

Quote from: nendo on Jun 01, 2012, 02:45:51 AM
Quote from: BioMechanical on Jun 01, 2012, 02:39:32 AM
Quote from: Samayel on Jun 01, 2012, 02:36:21 AM
Quote from: BioMechanical on Jun 01, 2012, 02:34:54 AM
So what about the scene from the trailers where the Jockey is completly suited up, with helmet and all, sitting in the juggernaut chair?

Spoiler
That suit is an integral part of the chair.
[close]

So it's not the same suit? Why are people saying that the eingineer never dawns the helmet and suit, when it clearly show him or some other engineer suited up in the trailers?

Spoiler
because the shot in the trailer is realy the only shot in the movie of the living space jockey with the suit on. Its part of the chair. The suit in shown multple times throughout the movie. But they are either from dead bodies or fuzzy holograms[\spoiler]
[close]
Spoiler
One thing I did notice is these suites in the corridor really are huge, around 12 feet I would say, this leads me to believe the last Engineer may have been a juvenile. He actually does look too small for the chair also, and I believe the suite adjusts for him, and the chair itself is a navigation device from which he pilots the Juggernaught
[close]

mcj5644

Quote from: Parker on Jun 01, 2012, 01:47:12 AM
Quote from: Deuterium on Jun 01, 2012, 01:46:13 AM

So the very premise of this film is to raise fundamental questions that cannot be answered (at all) within the scope of the film...but only in some potential, hopeful sequel?  Is that what constitutes clever storytelling, these days?

Yes.

Unfortunately.

Quite "Lindelofian," I'd say.

To be fair, I'm sure he's a "nice dude" and all, but his approach to storytelling is, well...

Alas, we can all fully anticipate another dose of oblique nebulosity in approximately two years' time, replete with more "viral marketing" gags and a whole new batch of semi-marketable actors portraying "redshirts."   

I wonder if a beer company will also co-sponsor the sequel? 

-MCJ

Kev Loaf

We are left with so many questions because Lindeloff is a hack; like what happened with Lost, thje guy has some good ideas but lacks the talent to piece them together into something that make sense. What we get, is a plot hole riddled mess.

(1) Why did they want to kill us
(2) Why did the black ooze have different effects
(3) If the SJ wanted to kill us, despite what happened at the base, why did the SJ in their home planet do nothing in 2000 years? Surely if they desperately wanted us destroyed, they would have released another ship from another base.

He has the ideas but lacks the talent to piece them together. If they make a sequel, which I doubt, they need to hire someone to work with him. 

Spider-pope

Quote from: OpenMaw on Jun 01, 2012, 01:44:13 AM
Quote from: Hive Tyrant on Jun 01, 2012, 01:38:15 AM
it responded by killing every human within reach.

That's not much of an answer, though. Flicking on a hologram and showing somebody, even if it were only vaguely, what humans were made for, would have been nice. As it stands it really comes to "Eh... Just die."

I don't know. Before you swat a fly do you provide it with a Power Point presentation about flies and why you don't like them?

Blacklabel

Blacklabel

Quote from: Deuterium on Jun 01, 2012, 01:46:13 AM

So the very premise of this film is to raise fundamental questions that cannot be answered (at all) within the scope of the film...but only in some potential, hopeful sequel?  Is that what constitutes clever storytelling, these days?

Ever since 2001, in fact. Logic? f**k Logic. We'll just end the film with a big baby looking at planet earth. :laugh:

(Of course, there is a logic behind the scene, it's just that none of it is presented in the movie.)

atlantis

After watching Prometheus a second time last night...this came up in my mind....

Spoiler

What if the engeneers did not create us, but did make copies from us to their self.. to equal us..and found out during being us... what f**ked up creatures we are..and this made them want to whipe us out...
Thats the reason why the SJ at start of movie also killed it's self
[close]

OpenMaw

Quote from: Spider-pope on Jun 01, 2012, 07:25:18 AM
I don't know. Before you swat a fly do you provide it with a Power Point presentation about flies and why you don't like them?

I didn't make the fly. My race wasn't responsible for the species known as Fly.

Samayel

Quote from: atlantis on Jun 01, 2012, 07:56:00 AM
After watching Prometheus a second time last night...this came up in my mind....

Spoiler

What if the engeneers did not create us, but did make copies from us to their self.. to equal us..and found out during being us... what f**ked up creatures we are..and this made them want to whipe us out...
Thats the reason why the SJ at start of movie also killed it's self
[close]

Spoiler
Then why show his body and DNA disolving then reconstituting in the water?
[close]

NGR01

Since Scott said what was the SJ, his ship and cargo were i was hooked.
The idea that he was a bomber with bioweapon was really cool.
I never iconized nor gave more importance to the xeno that being a perfect killing machine engineered by a higher race.
So that it's kinda confirmed in PROMETHEUS is cool with me.

As for the unanswered questions.
A lot are answered to me, they are not spoonfed wich is cool but yet something is lacking, i'll adress that later.

What happened to that base 2000 years ago is pretty clear to me, just add the final moment with the fact that we discover piles of chestbursted Engineers body leaves no doubt about what went down.

Now if we take notice of that Pure xeno mural in front of an altar that contains a bowl of black goo + the original Giger mural showing the life cycle of the alien (showing Enginners sacrificing one of their own to give birth to it) + how the Engineers seed Earth with life, it's clear that the Enginee moto is "to create life one must sometime destroy" they are high on sacrifice and worship that creature the pure xeno.

They might have discovered this creature wich was millenia older than them worshiped her because they are death/life lovers, maybe Engineers are the "prometheus" of our story not just the humans. They tried to harness power from their chosen"god" and it came back bitting them in the ass, eating their guts.

It's true that something is not clear with the black goo.
First it disintagrate the sacrifice Engineer.
Then it mutates the worms, Fifield, Holloway (not sure since he dies but it does seem to be going that way).
The fact that it gives birth to a squid at some point is because it infects Holloway sperms.
The fact that the black goo effect is not constant what was their pupose with Earth?
Just destroy us for some reason (they see us as a threat, we are not worthy, their experiment with us is over)?
Or use us as cattle to breed more of the creature they worshipped without having to sacrifice more of their own?

Ok so the sequel if it ever happens is goin to adress that question.
I'm fine with that. This what PROMETHEUS 2 will and should be about.

Now what i don't understand is why did they not to adress the military base story?
A movie should be self sufficiant and not leave mystery just so Lindelof can say "ok we answered what are the space jockey what they are doing  but look how cool i am i'm not answering this and that and you have more mystery ouh haaaa".
First at least tell us that story, the story of that planet then ok open the movie on some larger question.
Setting up a full movie just for a sequel that is not even sure to be made is just lame in may opinion.
This is not TV when you get to see whats going on next week.

GoldenFleece

I have this terrible feeling in my gut that I think I know why they wanted us destroyed 2000 years ago.  I so hope I am wrong.... but this is Damon Lindelof.

Spoiler
Why would the Engineers want to destory us 2000 years ago, what happened in "supposed" history?  We killed one of them of course, to be more detailed we crucified one of them - Jesus was an engineer.  Its not a big jump from the Ancient Astronaut theory to the theory that Jesus was an alien.  Don't buy the theory at all, as I biologist I was disappointed with the science hackery that passed in Prometheus.  But it fits in well with Shaw's religion theme for the sequel.  If my theory is right, I might just throw up in the cinema watching Prometheus 2.
[close]

szkoki

Quote from: Deuterium on Jun 01, 2012, 01:08:00 AM

A)  Why did they create us in the first place?
B)  Why did they decide to wipe us out?

A) Because they could
B) Because they bored with us they are not happy with us

just like u playing with Sims and u decide to create another family, start a new game and erease which u bored with :D

OpenMaw

Quote from: szkoki on Jun 01, 2012, 01:10:07 PM
A) Because they could

just like u playing with Sims and u decide to create another family, start a new game and erease which u bored with :D

That logic only works because The Sims is a game and you're being partially facetious.

I don't look upon my ferret and say "Hey, we made this, but i'm bored with it now so i'm gonna kill it... and all ferrets while i'm at it." I merely pet him and put him back in his cage.

There's gotta be more of a reason then. "Eh... Screw those damn humans."

And anyone who says "But don't you see!? It's great that we can discuss this and try to find an answer for ourselves." Because we can't. Not even a HINT is given to work from. Anybody who has a theory about why is basing it on nothing in the film as I currently understand it.

mastermoon

Quote from: Hive Tyrant on Jun 01, 2012, 01:28:30 AM
I'm not disappointed by that at all. Prometheus lifts a small tip of the veil surrounding the Engineers but a whole lot more about the Alien creature, funnily enough. It expands dramatically on their life cycle and makes them, in my opinion, infinitely more "alien" than before.

The fact that none of those questions are answered is what's so great about Prometheus in my opinion. It gives us the Engineers and expands massively on the universe... but, yet, tells us absolutely nothing. It raises more questions than it answers, but it raises much bigger questions than before. The questions used to be "what are the space jockeys?" and "did they make the aliens?". Now the questions are "why did the Engineers make us?" and "what did we do to deserve their wrath?"... along with "what the hell are the Aliens really?", which is the greatest possible thing it could have done.

Prometheus also leaves plenty of wiggle room for a sequel. In fact, it splits the story into two branches: one has already been explored and deals with the bio-weapons they created: the Aliens. But when you look at the other one that is yet to be explored and developed (the origins of the Engineers, their motivations and their true nature) it seems subservient. Less consequential. The franchise we cherished and loved all these years is just a part of a larger, overarching epic about humanity's creation and our unfathomable makers.

In fact, I'd love to see a sequel to this. Prometheus sets the stage and raises the questions... questions so big they deserve their own movie, in my opinion.

Ridley Scott stated that the movie leaves some questions unanswered, and that these could be answered in a sequel, saying "If we're lucky, there'll be a second part. It does leave you with some nice open questions.".

Kev Loaf

Quote from: OpenMaw on Jun 01, 2012, 01:24:29 PM
Quote from: szkoki on Jun 01, 2012, 01:10:07 PM
A) Because they could

That logic only works because The Sims is a game and you're being partially facetious.

I don't look upon my ferret and say "Hey, we made this, but i'm bored with it now so i'm gonna kill it... and all ferrets while i'm at it." I merely pet him and put him back in his cage.

There's gotta be more of a reason then. "Eh... Screw those damn humans."

And anyone who says "But don't you see!? It's great that we can discuss this and try to find an answer for ourselves." Because we can't. Not even a HINT is given to work from. Anybody who has a theory about why is basing it on nothing in the film as I currently understand it.

Well said.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed