Archaelogical Science Fiction, Prometheus and Doctor Who

Started by NecronomIV, Jul 17, 2022, 07:33:28 AM

Author
Archaelogical Science Fiction, Prometheus and Doctor Who (Read 5,056 times)

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: javablue on Jul 22, 2022, 01:12:12 AMThere's a lot of intertextuality in Prometheus (I have tried to bring this up in the past, to no avail).
Which is what I am marginally interested with as I have to cover the film at some point in my projects

Quote from: NecronomIV on Jul 22, 2022, 01:38:12 AMWell, that one went right over my head. Tempting to think it's a nice little nod to Troughton. Thank you. While we're here and discussing it, have you a link to past threads about intertextuality in Prometheus/Covenant. Always interested in that kind of thing.
I'll have a look too but there aren't many

Corporal Hicks

Is Tomb still viewable? I know a lot of the earlier days of Doctor Who were lost to time.

NecronomIV

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 25, 2022, 07:58:23 AMIs Tomb still viewable? I know a lot of the earlier days of Doctor Who were lost to time.

It actually is. A copy was found, I believe, in Hong Kong in the early 90s and then speedily released on VHS.

There was a great deal of celebration about the return of a "classic" and then disappointment that the story wasn't quite as great as everyone seemed to remember (probably because the Target novelisation was very atmospheric, and the brightly lit 1968 BBC studios weren't).

Still, worth a look.

8)

javablue

Quote from: NecronomIV on Jul 22, 2022, 01:38:12 AM
Quote from: javablue on Jul 22, 2022, 01:12:12 AM
Quote from: Omegamorph on Jul 22, 2022, 12:15:18 AM
Quote from: javablue on Jul 21, 2022, 01:30:35 PM
Quote from: Omegamorph on Jul 18, 2022, 08:10:27 AMDoctor Who - especially classic Who - is a silent contributor to many sci-fi and fantasy ideas going around.

I've thought for some time that David's flute in Prometheus referenced the second Doctor Who's recorder, thereby perhaps linking David to the Doctor and/or linking Prometheus to the second Doctor's episodes.
I'm not big on Troughton eps, can you elaborate?

I was never really into Dr Who either but when I saw David with the flute I remembered that one of the early doctors was famous for having a recorder (a flute-like musical instrument) so I checked and found that it was the second doctor. I thought that Ridley may have purposely included it as an allusion to the second doctor series (which includes The Tomb of the Cybermen). There's a lot of intertextuality in Prometheus (I have tried to bring this up in the past, to no avail).

Well, that one went right over my head. Tempting to think it's a nice little nod to Troughton. Thank you. While we're here and discussing it, have you a link to past threads about intertextuality in Prometheus/Covenant. Always interested in that kind of thing.

My pleasure. Re-links about intertextuality, I'm travelling at the moment but should be home by the weekend. I'll have a dig around in my files then.

thexenomorph

I'm not surprised that Scott was inspired by Quartermass, man that's a good film. I also see alot more Lovecraft influence in Prometheus than most.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed