Fan Reviews

Started by ikarop, Feb 07, 2013, 03:27:34 PM

Author
Fan Reviews (Read 220,369 times)

Alien³

Alien³

Quote from: SM on Feb 19, 2013, 11:18:23 PM
QuoteI see why people hate it, and I don't consider it canon with the movies, but I just completed Aliens: Colonial Marines and it's awesome! It's story is like a great comic. I could see myself playing the campaign again very soon.

It's like a comic.  Not a great comic.  Specifically Earth War.

Yeah, I just thought it was a bit of fun. I guess the fact I'm not an avid gamer or the fact I didn't pay any attention to the game's build up helped my lack of disappointment. A:CM is like a theme park ride, if you get my meaning.

Elicas

Elicas

Quote from: YutaniDitch on Feb 19, 2013, 11:42:33 PM
Quote from: SM on Feb 19, 2013, 03:48:59 AM
Incompetence isn't necessarily illegal.

This was no incompetence, SM! Call it 'derelict of duty', if you want, but this was clearly intentional mismanagement of the resources given to them by SEGA!!!! This was a redirection of funds to subsidise their own games, not the game they were contracted for!

That money, if the numbers are correct, was also aiming at hiring consultants, etc, which clearly they never did...! With the  amount of money involved, they could have gotten even David S.Goyer to write the damn thing! Hell, even the youngest of Alien fans out there would write a better game than this! The dialogues were appaling!

So, to call it 'incompetence' is too mild a word for what they did! It was far from incompetence, they were QUITE COMPETENT at using it for their own games, and for stealing from SEGA, and clearly they have to answer for the obvious boatload of money that is missing from the game!

I don't think even 1 million would have given us a BETA-version like this one! Because make no mistake, given al the bugs, glitches and scripting errors, this game is far from being completed! If SEGA sits this one out, Gearbox will do this to another company, I am sure! They are just in it for the money! ACM was clearly dumped over Borderlands 2 and even Borderlands 1...

If SEGA and Gearbox signed the contract in 2006 and the first Borderlands got out in 2009, you have 3 years for Borderlands, plus 2 years or 3 for Borderlands 2, and probably one year for TimeGate to fall on their own sword!

Gearbox is guilty on all charges: 1) conspiracy to defraud SEGA; 2) misappropriation of funds to finance their own games... I mean, where did B1 capital come from? What was the last success from Gearbox to have gained them the investment capital they needed to finance B1? And did B1's gains be enough to make B2? I doubt it very much... SO, logic says that clearly, given the deplorable sate we got ACM and the state B2 came out, that clearly there is a very serious charge to be stuck on Gearbox... SEGA would wash some of the guilt by suiing, and with very good reasons, Gearbox for the crystal clear breaches of contract and certainly they ought to demosntrate to SEGA where all that investment money went! I am positively sure they can't! I will write SEGA and demand that they get their money back! I would ask for mine, but they are in better position than I am to demand, at least, that heads roll, especially that sanctamonious Randy Pitchford's head!  >:(

Nothing is "clear" at all, all we have is rumour and speculation.

SM

SM

Quite.

Unless YutaniDitch has some detailed inside info...

I don't think anyone set out to make a shit game, just like no one sets out to make a shit movie.

Doesn't stop them from happening though.  Frequently.

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Quote from: YutaniDitch on Feb 19, 2013, 11:42:33 PMmisappropriation of funds to finance their own games... I mean, where did B1 capital come from?

Pitchford has argued that the take from B1 actually put money into A:CM. It's all just shit-flinging at the moment and way too early to be shouting 'crime!' (though I agree that the false advertising is running a bit close to the edge).

Anonymous684

Anonymous684

I'm bring my rating back up to a 6.5 due to the mods that have been coming out!

YutaniDitch

YutaniDitch

Quote from: ChrisPachi on Feb 20, 2013, 01:42:27 AM
Quote from: YutaniDitch on Feb 19, 2013, 11:42:33 PMmisappropriation of funds to finance their own games... I mean, where did B1 capital come from?

Pitchford has argued that the take from B1 actually put money into A:CM. It's all just shit-flinging at the moment and way too early to be shouting 'crime!' (though I agree that the false advertising is running a bit close to the edge).

Yes, from  the same guy who always tells the truth! Also, I was focusing more on the first Borderlands... Sega contract in 2006, Borderlands is out in 2009... The question remains how much money did 2K Games give Gearbox to make both games! But the 2.000 dollar question is WHERE DID SEGA'S MONEY GO TO, because it certainly isn't in ACM! So either they put it in their bank accounts or invested it.... The fact remains that there is no way this piece of gaming crap cost 20, 30, 40 mil!

Regarding the person who stated this, he was proven to have been an employee... a tester... Of course, we will only get confirmation of this if SEGA sues Gearbox and these facts are brought up in Court... but it all makes sense... I am not saying they wanted it to be bad, but they outsourced it to a cheap company with no experience whatsoever for what, for it to be top of the line, an AAA title?! Come on...!

Truth and facts are that we might never know the truth... Not that it matters, actually... Gearbox track record is full of crap, Randy's not going to be credible anymore, and this debacle surely will put publishers wondering if hiring them and paying them before the product is shown, is a good idea! THQ died because, in part, because they demanded results with a killer schedule and the quality of their games repeatedly took a beating because of it! Fortunately, SEGA is not THQ, nor is Activision or EA, but THQ's demise is a reminder that unless publishers demand their software houses or the software houses they hire, that they respect their contract and also are smart enough not to set a date out in public too early... Then, this might be the demise of not just publishers like THQ, but also software houses/devs like Gearbox...

Long story short, Gearbox's rep took a nose dive and unless 2K Games maintains trust in them, I don't see what publisher will give these incompetent, lazy, greedy douches any games for them to do! I sure wouldn't! Many better companies out there! Even for this ACM, before all this, I wouldn't give it to Gearbox, given her track record... Their stories have never been compelling ones, their games have gameplay issues all the time... I remember how troubling the gameplay was in BiA...

So, theres that... Sorry about the rant, I am really troubled by the way things were handled by everyone in the creative process... This is amateur hour, something I would expect CITY Software to do... Having said that, I am awaiting Ghost Warrior 2 to see  how it goes...

Cheers!

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

One of the things I really tried to just basically not focus much on for the sake of just having fun (which was successful) was the claims of environmental authenticity. I'm no expert but while a few things feel authentic there were more moments when the surroundings just felt "off" rather than authentic to the movies. But again I didn't want to focus on it in the first place because I grew skeptical of such claims, even though I don't have the knowledge or resources to see all the little details. I could see the big ones, like the size of the Sulaco hanger, or the lack of a vent in the area where the marines, Newt and Ripley make a run for it after the big last stand. One of my higher priorities was to just have fun, which I achieved, and I'm still achieving now. Again because I grew skeptical about other aspects.

Thee biggest disappointment, I recognized the garage from the demo so I went straight for the sentry gun and placed it in the tunnel. In the demo all hell broke loose in a beautiful way, in this final product... "Ah, now eventually you do plan to have xenomorphs in this, in this underground tunnel, right? Hello?

Hello? Yes?"

PRI. HUDSON

PRI. HUDSON

Quote from: SM on Feb 20, 2013, 12:44:08 AM
Quite.

I don't think anyone set out to make a shit game, just like no one sets out to make a shit movie.

I disagree. The amount of work put into ACM clearly shows poor effort. Just my opinion.

Salt The Fries

Salt The Fries

Quote from: Uncanny Psycho on Feb 20, 2013, 03:51:27 AM
It's not the game you're rating back up, you silly. It's not Gearbox's effort that made you think that.

PRI. HUDSON

PRI. HUDSON

Quote from: Salt The Fries on Feb 20, 2013, 06:56:27 AM
It's not the game you're rating back up, you silly. It's not Gearbox's effort that made you think that.

Right on, Vaz.

GBX can maybe up the feeling of this game with patches and DLC. Will they do it right is the question.

Elicas

Elicas

Quote from: PRI. HUDSON on Feb 20, 2013, 06:50:37 AM
Quote from: SM on Feb 20, 2013, 12:44:08 AM
Quite.

I disagree. The amount of work put into ACM clearly shows poor effort. Just my opinion.

No, it shows poor execution. I'm sure the grunt level workers, the equivalent of me and you, worked their nuts off on this game. But then, grunt level workers don't make the design decisions or the financial/project management decisions. Managers do. The same stupid managers who in the real world decide to have 5 carpenters in 5 1st fixes putting them all out of work in a week, instead of letting one guy have a run of work for 5 weeks. This game reeks of bad management leading to poor execution and a wonky product.

Anonymous684

Anonymous684

Quote from: Salt The Fries on Feb 20, 2013, 06:56:27 AM

oh gbx has nothing to do with the rating. thanks to having a awesome community with people like ikarop to help improve the game brings the rating up for my overall enjoyment!

ScardyFox

ScardyFox

I'm still enjoying it, not sure how much longer but I am.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Uncanny Psycho on Feb 21, 2013, 06:10:04 PM
oh gbx has nothing to do with the rating. thanks to having a awesome community with people like ikarop to help improve the game brings the rating up for my overall enjoyment!

Their point is that you're not rating the modifications up. You're rating up the basic product, which has nothing to do with them. :)

midget

midget

I want the game they showed in the demo footage. I want THAT game.

With that said, I am still enjoying this Aliens game.  It is a blast to play with a friend.

I would give it a healthy 5.9/10 -- but I am a fan, so I am biased.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed