Alien AI: Too Difficult?

Started by Spoonman101, Jul 25, 2014, 03:50:25 PM

Author
Alien AI: Too Difficult? (Read 4,132 times)

Mr. Clemens

Mr. Clemens

I'd like to see a link to that article too, please.

swarm87

swarm87

is the AI smart or have gamers gotten dumb?

NickisSmart

NickisSmart

How many games can you recall where the AI is too smart? Cheap, sure, but just smart? There is a difference. Personally I'd be plenty happy with a smart adversary that I'd have to outwit. Playing chess against a simpleton is no fun.

WinterActual

WinterActual

Quote from: swarm87 on Jul 27, 2014, 02:48:13 PM
is the AI smart or have gamers gotten dumb?
There are people who want a map for CoD so that answers your question  :laugh:

Quote from: DUB1 on Jul 26, 2014, 10:44:40 PM
Are you kidding? The harder the better! I hope the Alien drives casual players to pull their hair out in anger.
This.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

The setting, atmosphere and expectations can do a lot to create a false illusion of intelligence. I can remember some multiplayer sessions from the AVP games, where all I was doing was waiting in ambush or doing a very basic misdirect to herd my target into killable range and often got praised for out-foxing them or whatever. :)

Could tell most of it was down to their own perspective... They weren't used to someone doing stuff like walking up the walls and I could see them jerking their view around all over the place in the tunnels, which meant they were on edge, looking for me. It was the set design and lighting which was doing most of the scare work. I did very little!

That'll go triple for something like this, where the entire thing is geared explicitly towards making you hyper-aware of what could be the source of a shadow, due to no weapons.

Mr. Clemens

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: WinterActual on Jul 28, 2014, 06:28:26 PM
Are you kidding? The harder the better! I hope the Alien drives casual players to pull their hair out in anger.
This.

Confused: weren't you the guy that just wants to mow down more waves of aliens with a machine gun?

Space Voyager

Space Voyager

Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Jul 28, 2014, 10:26:11 PM
Confused: weren't you the guy that just wants to mow down more waves of aliens with a machine gun?

Sorry for answering for somebody else, but both is equally good. Just not in the same game.

As far as AI goes, I am not at all worried about them making a very smart AI. I'm worried about them making a cheating AI. Like seeing through walls, being alarmed by any sound you make even when you are far away while hearing nobody else and such. This can make the game "unbeatable" without much actual AI.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: NickisSmart on Jul 28, 2014, 10:15:55 AMHow many games can you recall where the AI is too smart? Cheap, sure, but just smart? There is a difference. Personally I'd be plenty happy with a smart adversary that I'd have to outwit. Playing chess against a simpleton is no fun.

Agreed. Many games are difficult these days by simply being cheap. Grenade spamming and the like. There aren't many games that are difficult by virtue of having intelligent opponents.

One of these methods for toughening up a game is a joke, the other makes for a rewarding challenge.

WinterActual

WinterActual

This.

Sooooo whats the problem the game to be hard and to have many enemies at the same time?  :laugh: FEAR have one of the best AI and it throws many enemies at you. It seems like you are from the new gen gamers who think that mowing down stuff means easy as shit CoD games. This was not the case a few years ago. AvP 1 is still very challenging game with its randomized spawns and fast aliens.

Btw I don't remember saying that I want to mow down waves of aliens. Recently I asked why I am not able to kill the alien in Isolation if I have the right tools, and that was it. Totally not the same thing. I won't mind Killing Floor style Aliens related game but I prefer the xenos to be challenging for what they are like in AvP 1 not because of their numbers like in ACM (they are not challenging there).

gabgrave

gabgrave

I would have thought this was obvious, but isn't it because there is only one Alien? If you kill it, what are you going to do for the next 6 hours? The game is meant to replicate the first movie, which means one single Alien stalking the inhabitants at will. You might get to 'kill' it at the end of the game, though.

Salt The Fries

Salt The Fries

Quote from: WinterActual on Jul 29, 2014, 11:50:20 AM
This.

Sooooo whats the problem the game to be hard and to have many enemies at the same time?  :laugh: FEAR have one of the best AI and it throws many enemies at you. It seems like you are from the new gen gamers who think that mowing down stuff means easy as shit CoD games. This was not the case a few years ago. AvP 1 is still very challenging game with its randomized spawns and fast aliens.

Btw I don't remember saying that I want to mow down waves of aliens. Recently I asked why I am not able to kill the alien in Isolation if I have the right tools, and that was it. Totally not the same thing. I won't mind Killing Floor style Aliens related game but I prefer the xenos to be challenging for what they are like in AvP 1 not because of their numbers like in ACM (they are not challenging there).
That's because they are challenged there. Mentally.

WinterActual

WinterActual

Quote from: gabgrave on Jul 29, 2014, 01:47:31 PM
I would have thought this was obvious, but isn't it because there is only one Alien? If you kill it, what are you going to do for the next 6 hours? The game is meant to replicate the first movie, which means one single Alien stalking the inhabitants at will. You might get to 'kill' it at the end of the game, though.
I will try to get out alive of course. Its literally a sinking ship. You have to escape somehow. With alien on board or not, this vessel is going down for sure.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed