AvP Annihilation - John Shirley

Started by Corporal Hicks, Aug 16, 2021, 04:47:21 PM

Author
AvP Annihilation - John Shirley (Read 9,607 times)

Xiggz456

Xiggz456

Excited but also a bit hesitant of John Shirley. Still pleased that we're getting more AVP content as it's been few and far between the last few years.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 17, 2021, 07:47:07 AM
Because RidgeTop kept claiming "it wasn't that bad" so we're revisiting it for a podcast and so I can finally start writing an article I've been planning to do all year.

And I'm the innocent bystander in all this. :laugh:

No, let's not read Predator Turnabout... or Predator South China Sea from the same guy who wrote Annihilation which was adapted into the Natalie Portman film. No, let's read Forever Midnight!   ;D

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Aug 17, 2021, 01:20:19 PM
Predator South China Sea from the same guy who wrote Annihilation which was adapted into the Natalie Portman film

Voodoo Magic

Yep, Jeff VanderMeer's only foray in our A&P fandom.

Corporal Hicks

To be fair, Shirley has also written for film. He wrote The Crow, multiple awards for writing. It's just his early take on the Alien and Predators were just too wild. Like I mentioned earlier, his short in If It Bleeds was good from what I remember. Hopefully this one will be too!

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 18, 2021, 08:08:10 AM
To be fair, Shirley has also written for film. He wrote The Crow, multiple awards for writing. It's just his early take on the Alien and Predators were just too wild. Like I mentioned earlier, his short in If It Bleeds was good from what I remember. Hopefully this one will be too!

Don't you dare give Shirley credit for The Crow, sir! That was adapted from a comic book by James O'Barr. I own this graphic novel!

Annihilation on the otherhand was an entirely original work. It was his novel, that was adapted for a film.

But I concur, still hoping for the best!  :) 🤞

Kradan

Kradan

I see you're a big fan of Natalie Portman, Vodoo    ;)

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Kradan on Aug 18, 2021, 11:12:41 AM
I see you're a big fan of Natalie Portman, Vodoo    ;)

Not a big fan, actually. But I can say I like Natalie more than Winona Ryder! :)

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Aug 18, 2021, 10:35:09 AM
Don't you dare give Shirley credit for The Crow, sir! That was adapted from a comic book by James O'Barr. I own this graphic novel!
Considering how many adaptations are complete messes, and how generally loved The Crow is, I'd say he deserves plenty of credit for a job well done.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: SiL on Aug 18, 2021, 12:36:16 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Aug 18, 2021, 10:35:09 AM
Considering how many adaptations are complete messes, and how generally loved The Crow is, I'd say he deserves plenty of credit for a job well done.

Well, Shirley's "The Crow" script was re-written by David Schow, but sure, anyone who has worked on a film, especially one perceived favorably, generally deserves credit. Absolutely!  But as an O'Barr reader a long time ago, I couldn't help caveating here.  :)

BlueMarsalis79

Yes it is known you do not like Winona Ryder for some bizarre reason.

Kradan

Kradan

*whispers* 'cause she was in Resurrection

BlueMarsalis79

I'm aware.

Voodoo Magic

Haha, no. :laugh:

I don't know if it's bizarre per say - I'm not suggesting it's a popular opinion but I also know I'm not the only one - but I do personally struggle with her acting performances, delivery, subtlety, etc.. I'm just not her biggest fan.  :)

Kradan

Kradan

I don't mind her but not her biggest fan either. Other than Resurrection I think I've only seen her in Burton's movies - she was good in these

Random thought - what Alien Resurrection would've been like directed by Tim Burton ?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed