Alien: Covenant Novelization

Started by Corporal Hicks, Sep 22, 2016, 03:30:14 PM

Author
Alien: Covenant Novelization (Read 48,238 times)

Engineer

Engineer

I knew it said otherwise in the novel... could have sworn the movie contradicted that, but again my memory might be fooling me. I hope you're right, I really do.

PS. I just realized that last part was a ripley quote. Lol. Not intentional, but intentionally left it. :-)

Corporal Hicks

The movie tells you David created them using the black goo and genetic experimentation. The novel says that the Engineers left behind an Egg and David tinkered with the design to create a different variation of it.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Now that I've read the added lab scene dialogue in the novel, one thing I noticed regarding David creating the Aliens in the film vs. them pre-existing in the book:

The egg that David shows Oram in the book while explaining it was created by the Engineers before him actually appears in the film. I noticed it on my second viewing. He walks up to it in the foreground (at which point it's cropped mostly out of frame) and removes one side of it, then afterwards it is seen behind him, the side removed and a Facehugger inside. He never addresses it with dialogue, and it's never shown clearly, but it's there and he interacts with it. Seems the scene from the book, in which he states the Aliens are ancient, was probably filmed for the movie then cut out.

Even before reading the book, I kinda felt like there was a bit of a jump at that point in the film, as though something had been removed. Did Ridley come up with David being the ultimate creator during the editing process?

banecat

banecat

great find there, will need to check that out on next viewing. i think you're right about scott doing that in editing, but hopefully a deleted scene expands on this

BountyHunter

BountyHunter

Quote from: HuDaFuK on May 30, 2017, 08:05:01 AM
Now that I've read the added lab scene dialogue in the novel, one thing I noticed regarding David creating the Aliens in the film vs. them pre-existing in the book:

The egg that David shows Oram in the book while explaining it was created by the Engineers before him actually appears in the film. I noticed it on my second viewing. He walks up to it in the foreground (at which point it's cropped mostly out of frame) and removes one side of it, then afterwards it is seen behind him, the side removed and a Facehugger inside. He never addresses it with dialogue, and it's never shown clearly, but it's there and he interacts with it. Seems the scene from the book, in which he states the Aliens are ancient, was probably filmed for the movie then cut out.

Even before reading the book, I kinda felt like there was a bit of a jump at that point in the film, as though something had been removed. Did Ridley come up with David being the ultimate creator during the editing process?

Yeah I thought I noticed that, too. Another reason I think David is just exaggerating cuz he's a big egomaniacal liar. Lol

I'm not saying the movie didn't make it out that David is the creator, I'm just saying I'm not buying it. It's just too...stupid.

BonesawT101

BonesawT101

The book is not canon though. Canon starts and ends with the film(s). In the film, David says he has "created it.... the perfect organism" in reference to the Alien. That's about as definitive as it gets. Some don't like it. I don't mind. Doesn't bother me at all. Some form of the creature has definitely existed prior to Prometheus even as the mural suggests. David has tinkered with the ancient tools at his disposal to create a new strain of Alien creature.

BountyHunter

BountyHunter

I created the perfect pizza last night. Doesn't mean it was the first pizza ever.

BonesawT101

BonesawT101

Exactly. That's my point. A form of the creature(s) has existed prior to David's tinkering. All David has done  is play around with the ingredients to realise his version of the perfect organism, using ingredients and tools that have been used by the engineers for as long as they have existed.

echobbase79

echobbase79

I finished reading this last night and I thought it was much better than the movie. I actually preferred the ending in the novel where we only learn it's David when he starts to talk to mother. I hope this ending will show up as an alternate ending on the bluray. I know it was originally shot this way for the first test screening. 

BountyHunter

BountyHunter

Quote from: BonesawT101 on May 30, 2017, 04:31:57 PM
Exactly. That's my point. A form of the creature(s) has existed prior to David's tinkering. All David has done  is play around with the ingredients to realise his version of the perfect organism, using ingredients and tools that have been used by the engineers for as long as they have existed.

Haha yeah, I knew what you meant. I was just trying to word it in an easier to understand way. Also, was being a bit of a smartass.  ;)

BonesawT101

BonesawT101

;D :D 8)

Robopadna

Robopadna

Quote from: BonesawT101 on May 30, 2017, 04:31:57 PM

The way Scott intends it to be interpreted is this (from what he has said and can be taken from the films):

The engineers made/discovered the accelerant - They created the deacon from the accelerant (you can see it in the mural) - David, unbeknownst to him, also creates the deacon (although the process is a little odd for the engineers to have done prior but hand wave that away) - David creates the xenos we all know in covenant and alien/aliens/alien 3/AR

So in a way he actively created the xenos we have seen in every movie (outside of the deacon and neo morphs) but he did it with a material that already had the property allowing him to do that.

Ingwar

Ingwar

Have to read that book.

SPOILERS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQ3KKfELERs

Corporal Hicks

D88M

D88M

so, there is nothing on what happened between Prometheus and Covenant? i still cannot believe how they discarded that movie and i found it to be the biggest flaw on the movie (besides the recycled ending), it was like a movie was missing in the middle, i hope we get something about that in Awakening

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed