Alien: Covenant Novelization

Started by Corporal Hicks, Sep 22, 2016, 03:30:14 PM

Author
Alien: Covenant Novelization (Read 48,240 times)

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

^ The chestburster is the same as in the movie, but ADF outright says it has an accelerated life cycle.

Engineer

Engineer

Quote from: Ultramorph on May 24, 2017, 08:25:57 PM
^ The chestburster is the same as in the movie, but ADF outright says it has an accelerated life cycle.

Did he explain how or why this version has an accelerated lifecycle? And not the nostromo variety?

Samhain13

Samhain13

Quote from: Ultramorph on May 24, 2017, 08:25:57 PM

Hmm... interesting. Thanks for the info.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: RidgeTop on May 24, 2017, 07:14:35 PM
It's pretty strange that Scott is hell-bent on his idea, but Fox seems to know fans hate it so they're doing a workaround in the Novel.

I'm guessing that the final draft of the novelisation would have been handed in for publication well before the new film was released.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: Xenomorphine on May 24, 2017, 08:52:20 PM
Quote from: RidgeTop on May 24, 2017, 07:14:35 PM
It's pretty strange that Scott is hell-bent on his idea, but Fox seems to know fans hate it so they're doing a workaround in the Novel.

I'm guessing that the final draft of the novelisation would have been handed in for publication well before the new film was released.
That's generally the case, otherwise they wouldn't be able to publish the novel anywhere close to the movie's release date.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Getting on for a third of the way through this now. Most interesting difference so far has been when they land on the planet:
Spoiler
Specifically how they send Walter out first to sample the atmosphere and check it won't, you know, kill them all in horrible ways. Really made a lot more sense than what the film shows. Wonder if that came from Ridley or Foster?
[close]

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: TheBATMAN on May 23, 2017, 08:11:00 AM
Did you double check the language beforehand? The hardback version has a translator listed.

Lol. You were right.  :laugh: It was in Italian. Fortunately, Titan had unexpectedly sent me a softback review copy that arrived yesterday so I could finish the last half of the book with a real book in my hands.

I've gotta say, I prefer it over the film. Now I liked the actual film but I had huge problems with the Alien aspects of it. The alternatives presented by the novelization went over much better with me. I usually recommend people read the novelizations just to experience the differences but in the case - like Resurrection - the differences made for a better overall experience in my opinion.

Best get any questions you have ready as I'll be chatting to ADF at some point soon. Will start a thread when I'm ready.

BonesawT101

BonesawT101

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 28, 2017, 01:47:36 PM
Quote from: TheBATMAN on May 23, 2017, 08:11:00 AM
Did you double check the language beforehand? The hardback version has a translator listed.

Lol. You were right.  :laugh: It was in Italian. Fortunately, Titan had unexpectedly sent me a softback review copy that arrived yesterday so I could finish the last half of the book with a real book in my hands.

I've gotta say, I prefer it over the film. Now I liked the actual film but I had huge problems with the Alien aspects of it. The alternatives presented by the novelization went over much better with me. I usually recommend people read the novelizations just to experience the differences but in the case - like Resurrection - the differences made for a better overall experience in my opinion.

Best get any questions you have ready as I'll be chatting to ADF at some point soon. Will start a thread when I'm ready.
Awesome. My big question for ADF would be where did the idea come from to have David try to recreate the aliens rather than the film's portrayal of David creating them himself. Was this in an earlier draft of script? Or is it something ADF came up with himself.

banecat

banecat

a question for those who have read the entire novel..if you forget the film and compare this to other alien novels, where do you place it on the list?

BountyHunter

BountyHunter

So I just saw the movie on Friday, and went into it knowing the whole David created the Alien fiasco, but honestly I didn't really get that from watching the movie. I got that he made the batch that were actually in the film, but not that he created the entire species by himself. And now you're saying that the book says he just recreated the xenomorph from Engineer files?

Seems like this entire fiasco was being based on the fact that Scott made some offhand comment about David being their creator in some BTS video. I'm gonna stick with the film and the book over the director saying something, especially when said director changes his mind about stuff almost as much as George Lucas.

ps I loved the film, and so did my kids. It was especially fun for me because my 12 year old loves everything Aliens and Predator and this was his first Alien movie in the theatres. So a good time was had by all. 😊

Robopadna

Robopadna

Quote from: BountyHunter on May 29, 2017, 09:54:50 AM
So I just saw the movie on Friday, and went into it knowing the whole David created the Alien fiasco, but honestly I didn't really get that from watching the movie. I got that he made the batch that were actually in the film, but not that he created the entire species by himself. And now you're saying that the book says he just recreated the xenomorph from Engineer files?

Seems like this entire fiasco was being based on the fact that Scott made some offhand comment about David being their creator in some BTS video. I'm gonna stick with the film and the book over the director saying something, especially when said director changes his mind about stuff almost as much as George Lucas.

ps I loved the film, and so did my kids. It was especially fun for me because my 12 year old loves everything Aliens and Predator and this was his first Alien movie in the theatres. So a good time was had by all. 😊

Ridley said he made it clear in the movies and certainly nothing else at all suggests that David creating them all isn't the case.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Glad you and your family liked the film too, my wife and I had a great time at the theater and we both enjoyed the film as well.

I felt mostly the same as you and I agree with you that ultimately David will not be the orginator of the Alien as we know it despite what Scott currently insists.

There is a debate about it in the Covenant forum, but its a warzone over there. Mostly people repeating their arguments over and over for pages without end.

BountyHunter

BountyHunter

Quote from: Robopadna on May 30, 2017, 12:34:48 AM

Ridley said he made it clear in the movies and certainly nothing else at all suggests that David creating them all isn't the case.

Except it really isn't clear, regardless of what ppl are saying. It is easily left open to interpretation.

And again, so what in regards to  Ridley said it. Guy changes his mind more than I change my underwear.

Engineer

Engineer

Quote from: BountyHunter on May 30, 2017, 03:15:02 AM
Quote from: Robopadna on May 30, 2017, 12:34:48 AM

Except it really isn't clear, regardless of what ppl are saying. It is easily left open to interpretation.

And again, so what in regards to  Ridley said it. Guy changes his mind more than I change my underwear.

Can I ask how it was left open for interpretation? Not trying to start an argument. This is an honest question. I only saw the movie once, and from my memory it didn't seem very ambiguous, but I could be remembering incorrectly...

BountyHunter

BountyHunter

Well he basically says he was tinkering around with genetics. He doesn't outright say "I made this from scratch and they have never been around before". Plus the novel says he recreated from Engineer experiments. Plus David is a narcissistic liar. So to me, that leaves it open to interpretation. It can be taken as, yes, he created the xenomorph from scratch, or he just recreated.

Otherwise Scott just messed up everything.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed