Alien: Covenant Novelization

Started by Corporal Hicks, Sep 22, 2016, 03:30:14 PM

Author
Alien: Covenant Novelization (Read 48,991 times)

Engineer

Engineer

Quote from: Mr. Clemens on May 21, 2017, 07:18:56 PM
Quote from: Engineer on May 21, 2017, 06:46:57 PM
I'm enjoying it immensely so far! This is the first Alan dean foster book I've read, and I like his writing style a lot.

I read that wonderful book over and over again from 1979 to 1983, when a friend's family got a VHS player and I finally got to see the actual film (though I did have the Warren magazine for visual reference). In a weird way, ADF's novelization IS Alien, to me.

That's a unique story for how you got hooked on the series!

For me, I first saw aliens when I was 5 years old. So around 1990. It terrified me. And hooked me. I next saw alien 3 in theaters. Then back when sy fy was good and still known as sci fi, I noticed in the paper TV guide we got in the mail every week that alien was going to be showing one day. I had to watch it! So I watched the sci fi channel all day until it came on. The movie immediately before "alien" happened to be John carpenter's the thing, which I also immediately fell in love with. Shortly after that I got the alien trilogy box set on VHS for the first time. :-) I've been slowly tracking down older books such as the movie novelizations and trying to keep up with the newer ones too. But for a long time, it was the original movie trilogy and the dark horse novels that kept me entertained. I must have read nightmare asylum a dozen times!

PS. My little sister was too young for the thing, and it gave her nightmares that day the same way aliens did for me. Haha

Quote from: Russ840 on May 21, 2017, 07:22:49 PM
How does Crispen fair on th Resurrection Novel ?

I'll let you know. I have it, and plan to read it very soon. After the ADF trilogy. :-)

Corporal Hicks

Honestly, I think I like it more than the film. It loses a lot of the comedic visual aspects and focuses a bit more on the interesting aspects of Ripley 8.

Engineer

Engineer

That's good to know. Thanks Hicks!

Russ840

Russ840

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 21, 2017, 07:49:51 PM

Honestly, I think I like it more than the film. It loses a lot of the comedic visual aspects and focuses a bit more on the interesting aspects of Ripley 8.

I'll have to give it a go.

Quote from: Engineer on May 21, 2017, 07:33:12 PM
Quote from: Mr. Clemens on May 21, 2017, 07:18:56 PM
Quote from: Engineer on May 21, 2017, 06:46:57 PM
I'm enjoying it immensely so far! This is the first Alan dean foster book I've read, and I like his writing style a lot.

I read that wonderful book over and over again from 1979 to 1983, when a friend's family got a VHS player and I finally got to see the actual film (though I did have the Warren magazine for visual reference). In a weird way, ADF's novelization IS Alien, to me.

That's a unique story for how you got hooked on the series!

For me, I first saw aliens when I was 5 years old. So around 1990. It terrified me. And hooked me. I next saw alien 3 in theaters. Then back when sy fy was good and still known as sci fi, I noticed in the paper TV guide we got in the mail every week that alien was going to be showing one day. I had to watch it! So I watched the sci fi channel all day until it came on. The movie immediately before "alien" happened to be John carpenter's the thing, which I also immediately fell in love with. Shortly after that I got the alien trilogy box set on VHS for the first time. :-) I've been slowly tracking down older books such as the movie novelizations and trying to keep up with the newer ones too. But for a long time, it was the original movie trilogy and the dark horse novels that kept me entertained. I must have read nightmare asylum a dozen times!

PS. My little sister was too young for the thing, and it gave her nightmares that day the same way aliens did for me. Haha

I'll let you know. I have it, and plan to read it very soon. After the ADF trilogy. :-)

I was trying to work out my first exposure to the series the other day. I'm pretty sure I watched some of Alien 3 first, on VHS, then my uncle rented me Alien and I loved it. I was 10.  Aliens was not until about 3 years later, the special edition, loved that also.

Engineer

Engineer

Now that I'm reminiscing... my first copy of aliens was the theatrical version my older brother recorded off of cable TV. I remember being soooo stoked to see the directors cut for the first time when I got the VHS box set. That blew my mind! It was like seeing a completely different movie!

I was equally as excited about the alien quadrilogy and seeing new versions of alien and alien3 too.

PS. I still have my VHS trilogy box set. :-)

echobbase79

echobbase79

My Amazon copy should come Tuesday along with the Art of Alien: Covenant book. Amazon dropped the paperback edition price of the novelization to $6 recently.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: echobbase79 on May 22, 2017, 01:20:57 AM

My Amazon copy should come Tuesday along with the Art of Alien: Covenant book. Amazon dropped the paperback edition price of the novelization to $6 recently.
That's pretty awesome, I've got the paperback on preorder right now as well.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Russ840 on May 21, 2017, 07:22:49 PMHow does Crispen fair on th Resurrection Novel ?

Like Hicks, I liked it a lot. Style's very different to Foster but she accentuates the things I liked or thought had potential in the movie and dropped a lot of the things that didn't work. It's also possibly the most interesting of the four original novelisations in terms of expanding on the film. There are a lot of little background pieces that aren't found in the movie, like how Vriess got paralysed or why Purvis' Chestburster takes so long to pop.

On topic, I've also got the Covvie novel on order. Just finished my last book so I should be able to get right on it tomorrow!

Russ840

Russ840

Quote from: HuDaFuK on May 22, 2017, 08:35:14 AM
Quote from: Russ840 on May 21, 2017, 07:22:49 PMHow does Crispen fair on th Resurrection Novel ?

Like Hicks, I liked it a lot. Style's very different to Foster but she accentuates the things I liked or thought had potential in the movie and dropped a lot of the things that didn't work. It's also possibly the most interesting of the four original novelisations in terms of expanding on the film. There are a lot of little background pieces that aren't found in the movie, like how Vriess got paralysed or why Purvis' Chestburster takes so long to pop.

On topic, I've also got the Covvie novel on order. Just finished my last book so I should be able to get right on it tomorrow!

Thanks. I think your's and Hicks' sentiments have sold me on it.

Was that 'Pilgrim' that you just finished ? How was it? 

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Actually it was Aliens: Bug Hunt :P

But Pilgrim was excellent. A very long read but had me enthralled throughout.

Russ840

Russ840

I was really not enjoying Bug Hunt. I will finish it. I am intrigued by the Fury 161 related story. 

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

I thought Bug Hunt's second half - Darkness Falls notwithstanding - was generally a marked improvement over the first.

Engineer

Engineer

Double-X
Lmao

Russ840

Corporal Hicks

I received an email from Amazon that my order had been pushed back to June. Looks like it's just the softback though as the website says it has hardbacks in so I've ordered one of those instead.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed