Quote from: Geonaise on Apr 22, 2021, 12:44:37 AM
I would like someone to put the pieces together from David's time on the Engineers home planet.
When David arrived the planet was thriving with a complex environment full of life. Insects, fish, mammals and who knows what else. David lived on the planet for many years and in this time he "created" destructive projects.
1) What we learned was that the spores that were released from the fungus, that the unwitting crew from Covenant stepped on, destroys all animal life. I'm just assuming David engineered this fungus and it's spore and distributed it throughout the world. Did David mean to kill all animal life or was it just a necessary measure to ensure all the remaining engineers were eliminated?
2) David carpet bombed the landing site on the engineers planet with the pathogen which killed everyone in range. How far did the pathogen reach?
3) He also carried out experiments and ultimately torture on a large number of engineers. How did he capture and control them? The engineers seemed pretty tough in Prometheus and I doubt even with David's strength that he would be a match for them.
4) How long was David there between the time he and Shaw arrived to the landing of the Covenant crew?
5) If David was in need of new humanoid life forms to carry out his experiments, why did he just remain on the planet and not take one of the ships and set out to find them himself? Why set up the distress signal in the first place? Simply madness?
1. Imo David did not engineer the fungus on the Paradise planet. The original fungus was native to the planet as fungus is native on earth. The black goo pathogen transformed the fungus so that black goo fungus + human = neomorph.
The black goo pathogen reacts with different species in various ways to create killer monsters as seen in Prometheus and discussed by David in Covenant.
2-4. Answered by SM. The black goo pathogen eventually, through natural processes, spread to the entire planet.
David has phenomenal strength as seen in the storm in Prometheus and used that to either control living/healthy Engineers or found dead/weakened Engineers.
5. David going to earth or Mars with a juggernaut carrying some proto-Xenomorph eggs would not be a good plan. On those planets David would be greatly outnumbered by humans and would be captured by them once he infected someone with a face hugger. Better to wait for a few colonists to come to Paradise who would be much easier to control.
The signal was a way to attract someone to the Paradise planet. The idea is used in "Alien".