ALIEN DAY: Sigourney Weaver Talks A5 at Aliens Special Event

Started by CainsSon, Apr 27, 2016, 05:20:37 AM

Author
ALIEN DAY: Sigourney Weaver Talks A5 at Aliens Special Event (Read 39,825 times)

Xenomorphine

If it is an alternative reality, I don't think such a concept would be as incompatible as many do. We've never seen how long-range space travel functions in this continuity. It might well be very 'Star Trek'-like, for all we know.

There was a great musical track written for 'Aliens':

It was never used (strangely, it did turn up in 'Die Hard'), but the title for it certainly implies the Sulaco might have originally been planned to go into some sort of futuristic warping effect when leaving for Earth (it seems to segue into the melody we hear when Ripley is putting Newt to sleep, which implies it would have happened immediately before that scene).

In fact, it would bring a little smile to my face if something along those lines were to happen and they included that section of music for it as a tribute to the now-late James Horner.

Stolen

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 27, 2016, 11:55:12 AM
He was one of many men responsible for making Alien what it was.

Absolutely. You understand me I was talking about him and his incredible artistic team.
But lead such an enterprise requires a great captain, and Ridley Scott is a great leader.

Why I think his contribution is more important? Because his talent has allowed this project to become a reality.
I remember but you already know. The budget was $ 4 million for Alien. After the ridleygrams, he doubled and tripled to finish at $12M.

He initiated the saga and remarkably, so I think he deserves a little respect from the fans.

Prometheus, great or no, had the laudable intention to deepen this universe. I understand that the fans want to see the dead characters of Aliens, but Covenant announces something bigger and interesting for our favorite universe.

Anyway,this preparation time is a blessing for Blomkamp, he must offer something really solid to dare to reinvent Ripley adventures.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Stolen on Apr 27, 2016, 06:26:06 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 27, 2016, 11:55:12 AM
He was one of many men responsible for making Alien what it was.

Absolutely. You understand me I was talking about him and his incredible artistic team.
But lead such an enterprise requires a great captain, and Ridley Scott is a great leader.

Why I think his contribution is more important? Because his talent has allowed this project to become a reality.
I remember but you already know. The budget was $ 4 million for Alien. After the ridleygrams, he doubled and tripled to finish at $12M.

He initiated the saga and remarkably, so I think he deserves a little respect from the fans.

Prometheus, great or no, had the laudable intention to deepen this universe. I understand that the fans want to see the dead characters of Aliens, but Covenant announces something bigger and interesting for our favorite universe.

Anyway,this preparation time is a blessing for Blomkamp, he must offer something really solid to dare to reinvent Ripley adventures.

Yes, we are literally getting the best of both worlds here.  I mean we literally get to explore the mystery of the Engineers first, and then we get an alternate Ripley story.  Ripley's adventure does not negate what Ridley Scott is doing.  Perfect!

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Apr 27, 2016, 05:22:26 PMWe've never seen how long-range space travel functions in this continuity. It might well be very 'Star Trek'-like, for all we know.

But as a concept that just doesn't fit the more realistic world presented by the films. The sci-fi in the Alien movies is almost incidental. Sure they take place in space in the future, but the tech on display is very grounded. If we suddenly start having Star Trek parallel universes and such, it just wouldn't gel.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Apr 27, 2016, 06:44:59 PM
Quote from: Xenomorphine on Apr 27, 2016, 05:22:26 PMWe've never seen how long-range space travel functions in this continuity. It might well be very 'Star Trek'-like, for all we know.

But as a concept that just doesn't fit the more realistic world presented by the films. The sci-fi in the Alien movies is almost incidental. Sure they take place in space in the future, but the tech on display is very grounded. If we suddenly start having Star Trek parallel universes and such, it just wouldn't gel.

I agree.  Either retcon it like a man, or don't do it at all.

DaddyYautja

Alternate reality made easy.

The reason the jocks look mega different in Prom is that this is another dimension and in that universe we had Alien 3 and Res.

The "Prime Universe" hasnt actually seen a third Alien story and this is where Neil's movie pops in.

Maybe we learn that the Aliens are some kinda crazy lifeform that infest and destroys realities. That would move the Aliens back from bugs to crazy unknown things.

marrerom

The Engineers are key to making a multiverse work in the Alien series.  They are the perfect plot device to establish that a multiverse exists and provide a means to traverse it. I'm thinking that they could be analogous to the Builders from Jonathan Hickman's run on the Avengers: http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Builders_(Race)

the Builders are the oldest race in existence and they travel throughout the multiverse seeding planets with life then return several millennia later and judge that life. If it fails their test they exterminate the entire race. Sounds very familiar and it would fit in with what we saw in Prometheus, yes?

I also remember a section of the script for Prometheus where the Engineers were described as having (I'm paraphrasing here) "evolved past the point of needing genders and could see other dimensions" and whatnot.   If they were to have a parallel universe where Blompkamp's film takes place then this is how they should do it.

CainsSon

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Apr 27, 2016, 06:54:43 PM

I agree cause I think any attempt to make this fit in realistically will be hamfisted. Make a nod to something maybe, like I said before. Similar to the way Prometheus suggests a connection to Alien but it never comes out of the dark. Otherwise, dont mention it at all.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: CainsSon on Apr 27, 2016, 08:03:31 PM
Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Apr 27, 2016, 06:54:43 PM

I agree cause I think any attempt to make this fit in realistically will be hamfisted. Make a nod to something maybe, like I said before. Similar to the way Prometheus suggests a connection to Alien but it never comes out of the dark. Otherwise, dont mention it at all.

Yes, have Ripley say "I had a bad dream I lost my hair" in a tongue in cheek way and be done with it.  One line.  No elaborate justification for the dream sequence.  Go the Marvel / Deadpool route and make a joke of it, and move on.

Xenomorphine

That's my view, though. It shouldn't fit well, but the means by which it could come about is really unexplored territory. We don't know how ships are meant to traverse these enormous distances so quickly. If it does involve some kind of warping/hyperspace effect, then if it's really just down to execution. It could be very 'Warhammer'-like, with Lovecraftian spookiness hidden in 'the warp', just waiting to be found... I believe O'Bannon felt that way about LV-426, in general. He felt it was meant to have been a fragment from the world of some ancient cosmic gods. I could totally see zones of space with missing ships in it being treated like the Bermuda Triangle. 'Babylon 5' did something similar and it worked fairly well.

There are all sorts of ways to bring various elements of that into it (to greater or lesser degrees), but the bottom line is that some kind of dimensional rifting/breaching could fit the continuity better than we're all thinking.

I mean, just look at 'Event Horizon'. I'm not expecting it to be on that level, but that's a film which very much feels like it could fit into the 'Alien' series. The kinds of characters, the way they react, talk and even dress... It's clearly influenced very strongly by our series. Yet, that handles dimensional breaching in a way which feels plausible when you're watching it.

It's not the kind of plot device I'd favour, personally, but I'm not going to assume it couldn't be done right.

And if that means we get Sean Pertwee as a gruff Colonial Marine, I'm all for it! ;D

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Apr 27, 2016, 08:19:15 PM

That's my view, though. It shouldn't fit well, but the means by which it could come about is really unexplored territory. We don't know how ships are meant to traverse these enormous distances so quickly. If it does involve some kind of warping/hyperspace effect, then if it's really just down to execution. It could be very 'Warhammer'-like, with Lovecraftian spookiness hidden in 'the warp', just waiting to be found... I believe O'Bannon felt that way about LV-426, in general. He felt it was meant to have been a fragment from the world of some ancient cosmic gods. I could totally see zones of space with missing ships in it being treated like the Bermuda Triangle. 'Babylon 5' did something similar and it worked fairly well.

There are all sorts of ways to bring various elements of that into it (to greater or lesser degrees), but the bottom line is that some kind of dimensional rifting/breaching could fit the continuity better than we're all thinking.

I mean, just look at 'Event Horizon'. I'm not expecting it to be on that level, but that's a film which very much feels like it could fit into the 'Alien' series. The kinds of characters, the way they react, talk and even dress... It's clearly influenced very strongly by our series. Yet, that handles dimensional breaching in a way which feels plausible when you're watching it.

It's not the kind of plot device I'd favour, personally, but I'm not going to assume it couldn't be done right.

And if that means we get Sean Pertwee as a gruff Colonial Marine, I'm all for it! ;D

Well it's good food for thought, and Event Horizon certainly was very successful at what it did.  I loved that film and it was highly reminiscent of Aliens.  but personally, I would not want that sort of thing to be a part of the Alien reality.  Its about alien monsters in space.  Now if we find that Engineers do some sort of time warping somehow, it would be interesting, but we should never acquire that technology I don't think.  That way we could just hit rewind and Alien and Aliens didn't happen.  Those are the two most beloved films in the series and I would say they are the core.  If you lose those, the whole thing unravels....

...But maybe the Engineers worship something that they find out there in fold-space?  Could be good, just fraught with all sorts of all sorts of potential pitfalls that could derail a tenuously balanced franchise.

The Alien Predator

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Apr 27, 2016, 08:19:15 PM

I think you may be interested in the new Rage War books, because they sort of explore this stuff.

Spoiler
It mentions a multiverse as well, but it doesn't explicitly state "Earth *insert number* is in universe *insert number*", it leaves it vague. For all we know, "multiverse" could mean universes linked to ours such as "hyperspace" and other interdimensional shortcuts that humans use to achieve FTL travel as well as communication.

And there's these giant circular "dropholes" humans build which bend time and space itself to let you get many lightyears in an instant. Humans still need to use cryo-pods because we physically and mentally cannot handle the "dimension bending". Dropholes use dark-matter and anti-matter science to be able to function as such and are extremely risky to make because if you do it wrong... well... like in actual science, when anti-matter collides with matter... real explodey things happen.

There is also actual FTL but that's extremely resource taxing and costly. And also drives you insane if you don't get into a pod in time because during the FTL, your mind will "experience hundreds of thousands of years of nothingness".
[close]

I'd love to see FTL stuff actually explored in the films. We never saw a ship warp or people discuss the effects of it like in the books.

Richman678

I have no issue with Lance returning. I would love to see him get involved.

DaddyYautja

Quote from: marrerom on Apr 27, 2016, 07:51:53 PM
The Engineers are key to making a multiverse work in the Alien series.  They are the perfect plot device to establish that a multiverse exists and provide a means to traverse it. I'm thinking that they could be analogous to the Builders from Jonathan Hickman's run on the Avengers: http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Builders_(Race)

the Builders are the oldest race in existence and they travel throughout the multiverse seeding planets with life then return several millennia later and judge that life. If it fails their test they exterminate the entire race. Sounds very familiar and it would fit in with what we saw in Prometheus, yes?

I also remember a section of the script for Prometheus where the Engineers were described as having (I'm paraphrasing here) "evolved past the point of needing genders and could see other dimensions" and whatnot.   If they were to have a parallel universe where Blompkamp's film takes place then this is how they should do it.

The Builders are a straight rip-off of the Celestials.

Anyway, i wouldn't give them that much power. I would just have them like they are now. Super smart and they probably encountered the Alien a long time ago and studied them but them lost control.

Maybe have them like the Forerunners in Halo games.

The Alien Predator

Quote from: DaddyYautja on Apr 27, 2016, 09:04:33 PM
Quote from: marrerom on Apr 27, 2016, 07:51:53 PM

The Builders are a straight rip-off of the Celestials.

Anyway, i wouldn't give them that much power. I would just have them like they are now. Super smart and they probably encountered the Alien a long time ago and studied them but them lost control.

Maybe have them like the Forerunners in Halo games.

Yeah, this is how I see the Engineers as well personally. This ancient and advanced race who came before us and created us. They're just a very intelligent and advanced alien race.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed