Aliens v. Predator - The Hunt Begins Miniatures Game

Started by Manchu, Oct 10, 2013, 03:38:58 PM

Author
Aliens v. Predator - The Hunt Begins Miniatures Game (Read 386,947 times)

Arterial Spray

Queenie is looking good, but I am getting less and less interested in the royal guard. I dont think the narrow curved crest captures the Praetorian grandure at all.

RakaiThwei

I have one question..

Can Berserker and assuming if other Super Predators are made, be considered their own faction or an enemy faction to the normal Predators? Especially considering the fact that they are seen as a renegade clan by the normal Predators.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Apr 01, 2014, 09:20:22 PM
I have one question..

Can Berserker and assuming if other Super Predators are made, be considered their own faction or an enemy faction to the normal Predators? Especially considering the fact that they are seen as a renegade clan by the normal Predators.

Two posts above yours:

QuotePredators are slightly different. Due to their tribal nature, they do not need to have leaders, but having one often presents an advantage which will affect the whole army. At the moment, the only example is a Predator Berserker, who can choose to take Predator Dogs as Troops, rather than their usual Support option, but affects the other Predators in its army due to leading them with an iron fist, rather than in the usual, honourable, Yautja manner.

Considering that the WY mercs are also in the same "faction" as the USCMC, I think you're free to choose what type of Predators are in your warband and can theme it around either group. Presumably you can play a hive war between Aliens, Marines vs Corporates or a Predator blood feud, as I've not seen anything so far that would stop you fighting another force from your own faction.

PRJ_since1990

PRJ_since1990

Feel free to make up house rules regarding split factions. There's mission cards where Predators and Marines team up temporarily to defend against the Aliens so get creative, so long as those playing with you agree to the rules.

Closed my pledge manager yesterday. Maybe spent too much but wanted a little of everything.
Getting Queen, Crusher, Young Bloods, Sentry Turrets, Sergeant, Powerloader, 5x Colonial Marines*, Hardback rulebook, Free Warriors, Predalien and Eggs (on top of the free Berserker, Praetorian and Facehuggers).

*Forgot about those, just double checked!

[cancerblack]

Nice haul dude.

On the topic of coming up with house rules - you would not believe how many people get really... weird about doing that. I modify pretty much every game I play but some people just cannot handle the idea, even if the rules are terrible and unbalanced to start with (see: 40k).

PRJ_since1990

Quote from: [CANCERBLACK] on Apr 02, 2014, 08:26:39 PM
Nice haul dude.

On the topic of coming up with house rules - you would not believe how many people get really... weird about doing that. I modify pretty much every game I play but some people just cannot handle the idea, even if the rules are terrible and unbalanced to start with (see: 40k).
Thanks!

I believe I mentioned earlier that this will be my first table top game, so I'm not very familiar with the other big name ones. I now know the madness of a good friend of mine, when he told me he spent $50 some odd dollars on a tank piece for one of those games lol. But as far as house rules go, yeah I can understand why some people are super picky and don't want to deviate the slightest bit from the games official rulings.

I also play Magic the Gathering (Card game) so that's where my experience in complex rules and modifications comes in. The way I play it, I build and play according to official formats. However, I do know that there is a more general "casual" crowd that doesn't know about or doesn't care to build around the formats, so I try to play accordingly. I just try to not get too crazy. I'm sure there's some rules about to come out for this game that will bother a lot of folks, but Prodos sounds committed to making adjustments if need be. I'm willing to trust them. I did just send them a bunch of money after all ;)

[cancerblack]

Generally homebrewing modifications or adding/removing a rule here and there for expedience will be fine if you're just playing with your close friends, as chances are they'll have encountered the issue with you and agree it needs fixing. Wargaming is socially a little different from MtG (at least outside the USA, Americans generally seem to be a lot more competitive about TTGs) in that any non-tournament game is probably "casual".

Homebrew stuff is usually right out for "pick-up" games with strangers of course (but I doubt there'll be too many of those until AvP hits retail), the issue usually comes in if you have a fairly large gaming group, and it's generally mid-term players who have a problem with it - veterans know the faults in their game systems and will have probably been homebrewing themselves, and the n00bs love the creativity of adding to the game mechanics (although will almost always go overboard if they attempt it themselves ;)).

That's all anecdotal though. I've just had a lot of problems in my time with people assuming that any modifications you've made to a unit or rule is solely to benefit your chances of beating them, as opposed to balancing the game for everyone, or adding a really cool idea, in as fair a way as possible.

It doesn't seem like there'll be a huge need for it with AvP factions though, as the figures will come with their own stat cards, and leaders will change the way the force works. The way I've interpreted the Predator clans so far is that if you take a Berserker, its' rules change your other Preds  into BSPs or Hish or whatever they're called, as opposed to standard Predators. It's a simple solution, and while I don't follow the Predator mythos the same way I follow the Alien one, I can't see anything wrong with the mechanic.

Mr. Domino

Finally closed my pledge today. Was waiting to see sculpts of Linn and Dutch to make sure I wanted them (was pretty sure, but there was still the possibility of them looking like ass, which doesn't seem to be the case). Ended up getting minimum one of everything minus the resin terrain, which was the goal. Wanted to do a true one of each, but couldn't justify the cost on the terrain set. Maybe if it becomes available at retail later on.

Ended up with:

1x AVP: The Hunt Begins Boxed Game
1x Wargame Rulebook
1x USCM Dice (x3)
1x Alien Dice (x3)
1x Predator Dice (x3)
1x Alien Queen
2x Facehuggers (x5)
2x Infant Warriors (x5, inc. in Box Set)
1x Stalker Aliens (x5, inc. in Box Set)
2x Warrior Aliens (x5)
2x Alien Royal Guard
1x PredAlien
1x Alien Crusher
1x Alien Eggs (x4)
1x Damaged Synthetic (x4)
1x Predator Trophy (x4)
1x Colonial Marines (x5, inc. in Box Set)
1x Colonial Marines (x5, Add-on variant)
1x Power Loader
2x USCM Sgt.
1x Weyland-Yutani Commandos (x5)
1x Sentry Guns (x2)
1x Female Predator
1x Predator Hellhounds (x2)
1x Box Set Predators (x3, inc. in Box Set)
1x Predator Youngbloods (x3)
3x Berserker Predator (x3)
1x Cloaked Predator A
1x Cloaked Predator B
1x Cloaked Predator C
1x Cloaked Berserker Predator
1x Cloaked Female Predator
1x Cloaked Predator Youngbloods (x3)
1x Predator Ship Tiles Add-on
1x Customization Pack
1x Linn Kurosawa
1x Major Dutch Schaefer

Looking forward to painting them, although it will be a daunting task. Going to make an effort, as the line expands, to continue with a one-of-each policy regarding minis.

Corporal Hicks

I really hope the terrain comes out at retail. I'm really looking forward to painting too. I finally gave it go on some Firestorm Armada ships and I really enjoyed myself!

[cancerblack]

Gotta agree with you two - that terrain is amazing looking. Here's hoping they do manage to get it retail, I'd probably sell off my 40k armies to buy a few sets if it was available (and the rules turn out good).

Mr. Domino

It's pretty good, although I don't know about amazing. The minis are phenomenal, but the terrain seems awfully expensive to me for what you're getting, especially compared with a lot of the really great plastic terrain kits GW has been putting out the last couple of years.

Corporal Hicks

It's likely we'll see some appropriate third party stuff anyway? That Battle Terrain stuff at the Kickstarter day looked fantastic.

Arterial Spray

While we might see some good third party stuff, theres also the chance that Fox giving this area a serious push might result in the loss of some of the best third party stuff. I'm thinking particularly a certain resin APC kit. We are talking about fox, their lawyers are never far away.

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Mr. Domino on Apr 03, 2014, 02:00:24 PM
It's pretty good, although I don't know about amazing. The minis are phenomenal, but the terrain seems awfully expensive to me for what you're getting, especially compared with a lot of the really great plastic terrain kits GW has been putting out the last couple of years.

I'm comfortable sticking with amazing. It's the terrain I've always wanted.

If we're comparing it to Citadel stuff, I'd say it's closest to (although smaller than) their Realm of Battle set, which is outrageously expensive too. The one thing I hope they change if they release it at retail, is getting it done in plastic instead of resin.

Mr. Domino

Maybe I'm just underestimating the size. I need to see some photos with minis in it, but it looks like at most 3x3, with lots of dead space.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed