Empire's ALIEN COVENANT Exclusive Cover, and Image Scans Revealed!!

Started by Pvt. Himmel, Apr 15, 2017, 12:04:43 AM

Author
Empire's ALIEN COVENANT Exclusive Cover, and Image Scans Revealed!! (Read 134,189 times)

Nyarlathotep

Quote from: Scorpio on Apr 21, 2017, 01:56:29 PM
Quote from: Nyarlathotep on Apr 21, 2017, 01:29:19 PM
Quote from: John Doe on Apr 21, 2017, 11:09:40 AM
I love the new practical chestburster, but i think we will miss the classsic "snake" version.
Same, hopefully this doesn't mean that we'll never be seeing the classic burster again.

The classic burster just looks like a snake or a worm with teeth, not very scary or original.  The special effect of it moving across the table is almost comical.  The bambi burster from Alien 3 and the deacon look great, though.
Reported for hate speech.

bobcunk

He isn't really wrong, the part where it runs away in alien does loo bad. This one looks like the alien 3 buster.

St_Eddie

St_Eddie

Quote from: bobcunk on Apr 21, 2017, 10:58:00 PM
He isn't really wrong, the part where it runs away in alien does loo bad.

Agreed.  I adore 'Alien', it's one of my all-time favourite films but that moment definitely falls into the category of what TV Tropes would refer to as 'narm'.

See also; the jarring cut from dummy Ash head to Ian Holm sticking his head through a hole in the table and the man-in-a-suit shot of the xenomorph outside of the shuttle.

Aside from those three moments; a masterful work of art and a true masterpiece of a filum.

bobcunk

I never understood why they cut it like that. All they had to do was cut back to Ripley reaction and then the the real head.

The Alien Predator

Quote from: Nyarlathotep on Apr 21, 2017, 10:36:06 PM
Quote from: Scorpio on Apr 21, 2017, 01:56:29 PM
Quote from: Nyarlathotep on Apr 21, 2017, 01:29:19 PM
Quote from: John Doe on Apr 21, 2017, 11:09:40 AM
I love the new practical chestburster, but i think we will miss the classsic "snake" version.
Same, hopefully this doesn't mean that we'll never be seeing the classic burster again.

The classic burster just looks like a snake or a worm with teeth, not very scary or original.  The special effect of it moving across the table is almost comical.  The bambi burster from Alien 3 and the deacon look great, though.
Reported for hate speech.

Local Trouble? Is this your secret second account?

:P  ;D

Predaker

Quote from: Ragonk_Force on Apr 21, 2017, 10:10:40 PM
Quote from: Evanus on Apr 21, 2017, 09:25:12 PM
They're engineers. That's enough context. :D
You don't know that either

Yep. Maybe the bombing scene doesn't even happen on the same planet the Covenant lands on and for all we know, David could have swapped out the black goo in the ampules for butterflies.

St_Eddie

Quote from: bobcunk on Apr 21, 2017, 11:18:46 PM
I never understood why they cut it like that. All they had to do was cut back to Ripley reaction and then the the real head.

It certainly is baffling but what's even more baffling is why Ridley Scott didn't fix it for the Director's Cut.  It's one of the worst edits that I've ever seen in a film.

Predaker

Quote from: Stolen on Apr 21, 2017, 09:50:48 PM
We really don't have the elements to make any conclusions.
We don't know if the planet is really Paradise.
We know almost nothing about engineers. Race in decline? Secluded sect? Fallen angels? Terraformists?...
Who are the gods? The engineers ? The Hall Of Heads represents gods??

They were once a thriving civilisation millions of years ago, seeding Earth with humans and repeatedly making visits. Eventually they intended to destroy us but that never happened because lots of them died off. LV-223 became an ancient tomb and David wipes out what is left of them on their homeworld. The lone engineer on LV-223 was asleep for ~2,000 years and no one woke him up until humans got there, David has the engineer's homeworld to himself for nearly a decade, and their presence as a living civilisation is non-existent in the original films.

They definitely aren't hiding from us, they're just gone now. Unless Ridley Scott really does intend to make "Awakening" some sort of prequel to Covenant, there won't be any more engineers after this.

GrimmVision

Quote from: Predaker on Apr 22, 2017, 12:50:12 AM
Quote from: Stolen on Apr 21, 2017, 09:50:48 PM
We really don't have the elements to make any conclusions.
We don't know if the planet is really Paradise.
We know almost nothing about engineers. Race in decline? Secluded sect? Fallen angels? Terraformists?...
Who are the gods? The engineers ? The Hall Of Heads represents gods??

They were once a thriving civilisation millions of years ago, seeding Earth with humans and repeatedly making visits. Eventually they intended to destroy us but that never happened because lots of them died off. LV-223 became an ancient tomb and David wipes out what is left of them on their homeworld. The lone engineer on LV-223 was asleep for ~2,000 years and no one woke him up until humans got there, David has the engineer's homeworld to himself for nearly a decade, and their presence as a living civilisation is non-existent in the original films.

They definitely aren't hiding from us, they're just gone now. Unless Ridley Scott really does intend to make "Awakening" some sort of prequel to Covenant, there won't be any more engineers after this.

If the classic Alien is a creation of David's then there's still at least one last living Engineer. If David is recreating the Alien, then yeah, it's possible all of them are dead.

SpeedyMaxx

The alien can be created by David using the Engineer's existing tech and black mutagen, which he has learned how to use. None need be left alive.

SiL

Then who's in the Derelict pilot's chair?

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Apr 21, 2017, 03:27:09 PM
And even then it was old!

Kind of! But that's why they combined it with the innocence of a young ballerina. Helps to subvert expectations through subversion.

This thing is more like a blobby tadpole.

Quote from: hfeldhaus on Apr 21, 2017, 03:33:45 PM
Why would they shoot down their own ship?

Iron Dome isn't primarily designed to shoot down aircraft. It's there to target and destroy individual missiles and even mortar shells which are headed towards civilian areas. The urns would be easy for even a system like that, much less something millions of years in advance.

QuoteWho's to say they're are as violent to there own kind as humans are?

That's why I gave the example of asteroid strikes. :) Stuff like that can come out of nowhere and you'd either want some kind of energy shield (which clearly isn't present here) or a way of destroying them before they hit populated areas.

GrimmVision

bobcunk

Quote from: St_Eddie on Apr 21, 2017, 01:49:37 PM
As others have said, the neomorph design is very generic.  Monsters such as that are ten a penny in movies and videogames.  The first thing I thought of when seeing it, was the creature from the 1999 remake of 'House on Haunted Hill' (itself an unused design by Dick Smith for 1981's 'Ghost Story')...

http://i.imgur.com/vUVJLlv.jpg
The first thing I thought of was, the evil dead demon.

Scorpio

Quote from: bobcunk on Apr 21, 2017, 11:18:46 PM

Because a cut like that would be way more cheesier.  Ridley Scott doesn't like to BS the audience.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed