Alien: Solara - New Audio Drama!

Started by Anarchist86ed, Jan 28, 2018, 07:12:41 PM

Author
Alien: Solara - New Audio Drama! (Read 88,319 times)

Anarchist86ed

Anarchist86ed

Alien: Solara tells the story of the crew of the USCSS Solara as they're drawn into a war between rival companies, both of which intend to capture and harness the abilities of the Xenomorph creatures. But now they may be the only hope of stopping new, and even worse forms of the creatures.

Part one Featured the voice talents of A.J. Carter as John, midway traffic controller, man in diner and Weyland-Yutani executive. Stephanie Carlson as Captain Anderson. Mya Schuwerk as mother. And Graham Rowat as Mr. Deckard.

Listen on soundcloud, sub to the RSS for updates.

https://soundcloud.com/anarchist86ed/part1

Download a version that fixed a couple minor problems. I didn't want to reupload to soundcloud agan.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/42km04u9kx5y6ao/AlienSolaraPart1.mp3?dl=0

Listen on youtube.

Corporal Hicks

Looking forward to giving this a listen when you release! I love me some audio dramas.  ;D

Anarchist86ed

Scheduled for release in the next week or so.

Corporal Hicks

Fantastic! Can't wait.  :)

Anarchist86ed

Short scene preview. John arrives on Midway station:

https://soundcloud.com/anarchist86ed/scene/s-MwYkG

Corporal Hicks

I like the use of the 2010 audio with Karl Weyland. And the Alien background track.  :)

Anarchist86ed

Slight delay due to not feeling well.

Corporal Hicks

All in good time mate. Feel better.

Anarchist86ed

Part one is now available. If we could get more than one comment we'd appreciate feedback.

SiL

SiL

All in all I'm intrigued enough to want to listen to Part 2.

Really liked the inclusion of the original derelict transmission audio. Wasn't a fan of Mother's sassy attitude. The Captain needs a bit more emotion in her voice as at the moment she comes across fairly flat and monotonous. So does John, but the reason why is obvious enough there.

From a technical standpoint, watch out for some of your mixes as you're peaking the audio when you apply your radio filters.

But I'm keen to hear how this continues!

Uncanny Antman

I agree with SiL...on headphones I flinched at least once from the harshness of the audio.

I'm not the biggest fan of audio dramas, but I did enjoy it.  May even check out the next episode.  ;)

I did enjoy playing the "spot the reference" game you've got going.  I caught "Willing" (The Abyss) Twister (Bill Paxton) Phil Deckard (for the author of, and lead character from, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep) Lance Henriksen as Weyland, and Zoe Poledouris' song from Starship Troopers.  What'd I miss?

Anarchist86ed

I know about the issues. People work for free and don't have the absolute best recording equipment. It wasn't possible to compensate for every problem. I couldn't fix some without causing bad compression.

I also can't anticipate what you listen on. Everything pumps out audio different. I levelled everything at about 50% of output. Sometimes lowering too much makes it inaudible.

I may make some changes soon.

Uncanny Antman

I thought you wanted feedback?

Anarchist86ed

Anarchist86ed

Quote from: Uncanny Antman on Feb 18, 2018, 12:57:41 PM
I thought you wanted feedback?

Yeah, I'm just saying there are issues I can't fix. I've already made some changes based on feedback that I agreed with. I can't lower the bass on some audio because it'll get too compressed. I can't make some audio less compressed. These are just facts that have to be lived with. No one is using a recording studio, they're all going to have differing quality.

So, yes, I need feedback but I can also say there are things that can't be fixed. The motto of this project is "no one's getting paid". So we do the best we can with what we got.

Quote from: Uncanny Antman on Feb 18, 2018, 12:21:58 PM
I agree with SiL...on headphones I flinched at least once from the harshness of the audio.

I'm not the biggest fan of audio dramas, but I did enjoy it.  May even check out the next episode.  ;)

I did enjoy playing the "spot the reference" game you've got going.  I caught "Willing" (The Abyss) Twister (Bill Paxton) Phil Deckard (for the author of, and lead character from, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep) Lance Henriksen as Weyland, and Zoe Poledouris' song from Starship Troopers.  What'd I miss?

That's half the fun of a project like this. You missed easy peasy lemon squeezy. John spends his time watching old movies, listening to "classical" music, and reading Chief hennesy's stash of ancient comic books. His favorite among them is a series about "deceased walking Humans", so it's a Negan nod. Good catch on Deckard.

Prey Vs hunters, reference to another creature the company would like to get their hands on.

And of course the reference to Arcturians.

Adjustments were made, same URL.

I simply can't compensate for all the different ways people will listen. It's different on everything I listen to on from laptop speakers, to Sony earphones, to noise cancelling headphones.

Gonna have to leave it as is, there's just nothing more I can do to compensate. Some things will just sound different based on whatever you're listening through. But I do appreciate all feedback.

Part 2 is starting production soon.

Anarchist86ed

Youtube is now available as well as a new download that fixed a few minor issues.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed