Alien Covenant Fan Reviews

Started by Darkness, May 09, 2017, 05:39:30 PM

What did you think of Alien Covenant?

Loved it. (5/5)
98 (22%)
Good, it was enjoyable. (4/5)
142 (31.8%)
It was okay. (3/5)
87 (19.5%)
Could have been better. (2/5)
59 (13.2%)
Didn't like it. (1/5)
31 (7%)
Hated it! (0/5)
29 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 446

Author
Alien Covenant Fan Reviews (Read 207,401 times)

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

#1845
Reporting you all for threatening endangered species, smh tbh.

City Hunter Yautja

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Jul 15, 2021, 08:22:03 PM
Reporting you all for threatening endangered species, smh tbh.

Its all in jest. IRL I'd never harm a penguin.

RabidNinja

RabidNinja

#1847
Well damn, am i late to the party! Considering the film is 4 years old, I won't be using spoiler tags.


Having both watched the Theatrical and Chaos Edition versions of the film, I definitely have to say that it's a film that would've benefitted from the inclusion of certain scenes that created a better relation to characters from the opening moments of the film; effectively including the Prologue with David/Shaw to a certain extent, as well as the Last Supper, Crew messages, and the WY interviews.


Aside from characters, the gore of it all was really f**king brutal, and the story was interesting, albeit a light retread of Prometheus in ways. The atmosphere was great, the neo/proto designs were interesting, although felt underutilised until the halfway point/ending of the film, and the xeno itself was goddamn gorgeous.

Now i could go into a tirade about how the inclusion of Ridley's obsession regarding Androids and AI and the creation of life is starting to go a touch stale, especially with the mentality that he created the "first" non-traditional xenomorph, but i'd much rather sit on the sidelines and go by self-canon that Xeno Prime does exist, as well as the queen mother, palatines, praetorians, etc, and the Xenos are actually a creation from the Engineers, and that Predators hunt them for sport.


All in all, the film itself is quite a decent bloody and gory ride.

Kradan

Kradan

#1848
https://youtu.be/d4k_Dnrj7F4

Video's in Russian but I'll be damned if guy doesn't make some great observations - for example, he interprets whole movie as a metaphor for humanity's overreliance on technology and, as a result, fear of pregnancy and natural birth which I haven't really considered before. Also, I was surprised to find out the guy is from Ukraine too

City Hunter Yautja

Quote from: RabidNinja on Aug 10, 2021, 05:45:22 PM
Well damn, am i late to the party! Considering the film is 4 years old, I won't be using spoiler tags.


Having both watched the Theatrical and Chaos Edition versions of the film, I definitely have to say that it's a film that would've benefitted from the inclusion of certain scenes that created a better relation to characters from the opening moments of the film; effectively including the Prologue with David/Shaw to a certain extent, as well as the Last Supper, Crew messages, and the WY interviews.


Aside from characters, the gore of it all was really f**king brutal, and the story was interesting, albeit a light retread of Prometheus in ways. The atmosphere was great, the neo/proto designs were interesting, although felt underutilised until the halfway point/ending of the film, and the xeno itself was goddamn gorgeous.

Now i could go into a tirade about how the inclusion of Ridley's obsession regarding Androids and AI and the creation of life is starting to go a touch stale, especially with the mentality that he created the "first" non-traditional xenomorph, but i'd much rather sit on the sidelines and go by self-canon that Xeno Prime does exist, as well as the queen mother, palatines, praetorians, etc, and the Xenos are actually a creation from the Engineers, and that Predators hunt them for sport.


All in all, the film itself is quite a decent bloody and gory ride.

I agree that the Engineers made the Xenomorphs, after all the black goo was theirs. Xeno Prime is an intriguing idea, I have always wondered what the aim of the Xenomorphs might be if allowed more time to evolve.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

#1850
So humans made them? No thank you, I'll take David over that anyday, not that I love the idea.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

#1851
Both are shit ideas that only serve to demystify the creature and it's origins.

Having David make them still reduces them to nothing more than a human proxy.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

#1852
Not only, but that's indeed a consequence of the idea, if you want to say they're created by whatever the Engineers based their suits on that's long gone that's a definite improvement though imo.

City Hunter Yautja

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Apr 01, 2022, 09:40:40 AM
Both are shit ideas that only serve to demystify the creature and it's origins.

Having David make them still reduces them to nothing more than a human proxy.

I must confess I did prefer the idea in Alien that the Spacejockey was smuggling the Xenomorphs, that they are unique species they found in another galaxy.  Alas.. now we have a convulted backstory for the most horrifying extraterrestrials.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

#1854
If you think this convoluted you have not seen anything yet mate.

City Hunter Yautja

I was thinking there is a way tp reconcile all three origins of the Xenomorph:
a) They are from Xeno Prime, smuggled by the Spacejockey.
b) The Engineers created the Xenomorphs
c) David created the Xenos.

Here it goes...

The Engineers took Xenomorphs from Xeno Prime and started extracting their D.N.A. to create the Black Goo bio-weapon.
The black goo contains Xeno D.N.A and David in his experimentation isolates it and brings forth a variant of the Xenomorph.

This makes a, b, and c work.

NecronomIV

NecronomIV

#1856
I'm really interested to see how we'll be feeling about Covenant for it's 10 year anniversary. It seems a good amount of time to be able to step back and judge something. Partly I suppose it will depend on whether the story is actually ever finished.

For myself, I appreciated the design, look, direction and acting. Didn't really like the story and the direction it went in very much.

If it was its own thing, it would be 5/5. The med-bay scene I was literally biting my nails (the soundtrack was excellent). And I walked out of the theatre thinking it was, in many ways, a bleaker ending than ALIEN 3 (and that's a good thing).

But parts of it I found sour and unpalatable (no Shaw, David creating the xenomorphs) and unconsidered (absurdly short incubation times) and a loss opportunity (show us a glorious, strange and alien Engineer society and world, not Ancient Rome Post Holocaust). So I can only really give it 3/5 and feel sad about it.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

#1857
Quote from: NecronomIV on Jun 18, 2022, 11:17:00 AMI'm really interested to see how we'll be feeling about Covenant for it's 10 year anniversary. It seems a good amount of time to be able to step back and judge something. Partly I suppose it will depend on whether the story is actually ever finished.

For myself, I appreciated the design, look, direction and acting. Didn't really like the story and the direction it went in very much.

If it was its own thing, it would be 5/5. The med-bay scene I was literally biting my nails (the soundtrack was excellent). And I walked out of the theatre thinking it was, in many ways, a bleaker ending than ALIEN 3 (and that's a good thing).

But parts of it I found sour and unpalatable (no Shaw, David creating the xenomorphs) and unconsidered (absurdly short incubation times) and a loss opportunity (show us a glorious, strange and alien Engineer society and world, not Ancient Rome Post Holocaust). So I can only really give it 3/5 and feel sad about it.

With everything and its flaws, Prometheus was something like a 'Promised Land' :'(


Hadji Murad

Hadji Murad

#1858
I haven't seen this film. But Prey has reawakened my interest in Alien and Predator so...

Is Covenant worth watching? Or is it better to skip it?

I didn't like Prometheus, even though it was pretty. I thought was empty and stupid. From either franchise I like Alien, Predator, and Alien 3, and I don't mind Aliens. The rest not so much if that helps you recommend it/not recommend it.

Kradan

Kradan

#1859
I liked it lot more than Prometheus. I would recommend giving it a watch but expect a very different Alien movie

Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube RSS Feed