Could have been better. (2/5)
60 (13.1%)
Didn't like it. (1/5)
32 (7%)
Hated it! (0/5)
30 (6.6%)

Total Members Voted: 456

Author
Alien Covenant Fan Reviews (Read 277,526 times)

Gash

Gash

Quote from: YutaniDitch on May 20, 2017, 02:58:07 PM
Quote from: Darkness on May 20, 2017, 01:26:41 PM
Yes, we also had the abomination that was the Newborn as well... Let's not forget that.

Covenant had brand new scary creatures in the Neomorphs.

So, you prefer the almost bulletproof, horse whispered Neomorph...!? At least, that Newborn hybrid made SOME sense... Honestly, after seeing the Neomorph who is spawned from mere sentient spore 'fairy dust', gestates in minutes and dodges far more direct bullet hits than the Xeno, the supposedly perfect bio organism... 😂😜 And I laughed so hard during the David whisperer scene... Scary, definitely not... hilarious, sure... 😂

You mean the Neomorph that was shot dead pretty easily?

Perhaps you ought to reign in your fits of hilarity and think about what the scene is implying?

Oh well, your loss.

YutaniDitch

YutaniDitch

Quote from: Darth Vile on May 20, 2017, 01:20:27 PM
Quote from: YutaniDitch on May 20, 2017, 01:11:21 PM
Very weak movie story-wise,in terms of  pacing, character development, continuity, plot, etc... They even got David's blood RED when Daniels stabs him in the chin with the nail... WTF?... This movie was so clumsily done I am amazed so many people liked it... The script is terrible, with characters doing idiotic things all over the place, the most unrealistic Android ever made, the Xeno genesis completely fumbled, ridiculed  and directly attacking the originals... So many things to say, so little time... 😡
There was no red blood. Perhaps you need to watch again...

Nope, saw it fine enough the first time... It shocked me so much it burned in my mind... And surely will not watch this crap fest until it comes out on TiVo... Definitely not  gonna waste more money on it...

Quote from: Gash on May 20, 2017, 03:05:38 PM
Quote from: YutaniDitch on May 20, 2017, 02:58:07 PM
Quote from: Darkness on May 20, 2017, 01:26:41 PM
Yes, we also had the abomination that was the Newborn as well... Let's not forget that.

Covenant had brand new scary creatures in the Neomorphs.

So, you prefer the almost bulletproof, horse whispered Neomorph...!? At least, that Newborn hybrid made SOME sense... Honestly, after seeing the Neomorph who is spawned from mere sentient spore 'fairy dust', gestates in minutes and dodges far more direct bullet hits than the Xeno, the supposedly perfect bio organism... 😂😜 And I laughed so hard during the David whisperer scene... Scary, definitely not... hilarious, sure... 😂

You mean the Neomorph that was shot dead pretty easily?

Perhaps you ought to reign in your fits of hilarity and think about what the scene is implying?

Oh well, your loss.

Are you  talking about the second one killed by Oram after shooting it multiple times...?  He even shot it in the head and was still alive... What about the first one that got shot multiple times, ran away, then came back, ate Walter's hand, got shot some more, then ran off again after David showed up...? Oh, wait, THAT was the SECOND one...😂 The first one died in the shuttle explosion... Yeah, try harder... 😂

Aquarius8

Aquarius8

I think both prologues need to be edited in some type of Extended cut on DVD. 

That Yellow Alien

Quote from: Snake on May 20, 2017, 02:23:58 PM
Quote from: Darkness on May 20, 2017, 01:11:38 PM
Did we watch the same movie here?  Honestly, I think you guys who didn't like it have some unrealistic expectations of what an Alien movie should be. Covenant is not a terrible movie by any stretch of the imagination and you guys are comparing it to the likes of Resurrection and Requiem which was absolutely horrendous. If you went in there expecting a story as grande as Alien, Aliens or Prometheus, you are going to be disappointed.

It's better than Alien and more thought-provoking. I believe art has no place anymore in this superficial and rushed world of today.

Really? If anything Alien: Covenant felt like every modern franchise blockbuster made nowadays; no sense of pace, just things happening with no time to dwell, and a superficial sense of thematic depth.

Reminds me of Jurassic World in a lot of ways.

Darth Vile

Darth Vile

Quote from: YutaniDitch on May 20, 2017, 03:07:18 PM

Nope, saw it fine enough the first time... It shocked me so much it burned in my mind... And surely will not watch this crap fest until it comes out on TiVo... Definitely not  gonna waste more money on it...

Not liking the film is of course your prerogative... and the film certainly has its flaws, but making shit up like 'David was bleeding blood WTF?' (paraphrasing), undermines your overall criticism; as it looks like you were either not paying enough attention or wilfully picking holes where it's not warranted.

Snake

Snake

Quote from: That Yellow Alien on May 20, 2017, 03:17:18 PM
Quote from: Snake on May 20, 2017, 02:23:58 PM
Did we watch the same movie here?  Honestly, I think you guys who didn't like it have some unrealistic expectations of what an Alien movie should be. Covenant is not a terrible movie by any stretch of the imagination and you guys are comparing it to the likes of Resurrection and Requiem which was absolutely horrendous. If you went in there expecting a story as grande as Alien, Aliens or Prometheus, you are going to be disappointed.

It's better than Alien and more thought-provoking. I believe art has no place anymore in this superficial and rushed world of today.

Really? If anything Alien: Covenant felt like every modern franchise blockbuster made nowadays; no sense of pace, just things happening with no time to dwell, and a superficial sense of thematic depth.

Nah man, not by a long shot. Movies like Transformers or every other superhero-flick is what people want nowadays. It's all got to be big and loud, but when you look past all the eye-candy there's nothing to ponder about. At least Covenant distinguishes itself by being a thinking man's sci-fi.
It's epic and Scott's finest hour imo.

Spidey3121

Spidey3121

Quote from: oberonqa on May 20, 2017, 04:17:51 AM
Quote from: BishopShouldGo on May 20, 2017, 04:12:08 AM
Quote from: That Yellow Alien on May 20, 2017, 04:01:49 AM
Quote from: oberonqa on May 20, 2017, 03:32:20 AM
I respect your opinion, but I really don't share them or agree with them.  I think Ridley was in top form with this movie and while it is not a perfect film (no such creature, really), it is certainly an enjoyable ride from start to finish.  The few things that I found wrong with the movie are, in my eyes, minor nitpicks at best and hardly worth bringing up as I recognize they are nitpicks and nothing more. 

At the end of the day, maybe one's perception and enjoyment of the movie depends on the expectations and emotional baggage the viewer brings into the theater.  I went into the theater hoping to see an Alien movie and lo and behold... that's what I got.  Maybe if I went in expecting a Prometheus movie, I would be disappointed and likely angry.  But to me, it's an Alien movie and it's certainly a far better Alien movie than anything we've gotten in the last 20 some odd years.  It's a far more coherent and enjoyable film to watch than the theatrical cut of Alien 3 and it's not even in the same dimension as Alien: Resurrection (which is, in my opinion, a pilot for Firefly masquerading as an Alien film).  And it's certainly far more enjoyable than the AvP films. 

It also has the side effect of making me view Prometheus in a fonder, albeit slightly more somber light.  Seeing the depths that David sinks to in Covenant makes his journey in Prometheus far more enjoyable than it already was in the first place.  I can't wait to watch it again now so I can see if I can detect hints of David's bipolar God Complex present in that film.  And of course, knowing that Shaw ultimately dies will make seeing her trials and suffering in Prometheus a more somber experience.  Like the Set Designer that Hicks interviewed a few months back said, I think Covenant will make Prometheus a far better (or at the very least, I'll find it more enjoyable) than it was a week ago when I watched it in my pre-Covenant hype-building marathon.

I was very very willing to give Covenant a chance. I was defending some of the creative decisions before I had even seen it, willing to give it the benefit of the doubt. But I was just not very engaged as I was watching it, but if you where then that's great.  :) But for me, the longer it meandered in David's shop of horrors, the more disengaged I got. And none of the action scenes stood out, in fact I was kind of shocked how "meh" they were coming from Ridley Scott ,especially the last 15 minutes.

It is impossible for me to believe that this was the same guy who just directed THE MARTIAN. That movie had so much energy and kept audiences maximally engaged.

Actually, upon really thinking about it, this was probably one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Just so much confusion. Ridley got so cocky. "I could do this in my sleep!" He wasn't engaged, he didn't think he had to earn it seeing as how he made Alien. Even Prometheus had all of the flair of The Martian, but not this movie.

Seriously, what was with that f**king scene where they fix the solar panels for like 5 minutes? Who f**king cares?! I mean I like that shit but if you're going to rush the movie then transfer over those precious minutes towards sections that f**king count.

Because if he had rushed through the pre-landing segment of the film, he would then be (rightfully) accused of rushing the character setups to get to the planet and sacrificing character development in favor of mindless action set-pieces ala Michael Bay.  As it stands, I think you may be missing the point of the solar sail scene.  The whole point of that scene was to show the crew working as a team much like Brett and Parker worked as a team in Alien.  It also was necessary as they needed a crew member to be far enough away from the ship in order for the suit to pickup Shaw's signal from the planet.  Something that the movie actually pointed out when one of the crew asked why the ship's communications array didn't pickup the signal.  And if you take away the solar sail repair scene, how exactly are you going to get a crew member outside the ship and far enough away from the ship to pick up said signal without coming across as contrived?

Although not quoted above, I agreed with a lot of Yellow Alien's review. It reflected my much more long winded one from almost 10 pages back at this juncture. Anyways, a lot of people have mentioned issues with the pacing of the 3rd act, claiming it felt rushed. I agree, but I also argue that the 1st act felt rushed as well. I don't feel like I got to know these characters at all. We spend minimal time getting to know more than 2 or 3 of them. They're textbook cannon fodder. Also, WHY did the Covenant have a communications buffer? I fail to see how that makes any sense whatsoever. The scene already feels contrived, even with them repairing the solar sails. And despite Daniels reservations, the crew on the whole seems to have no notable reaction to finding such a communication. Certainly the pacing picked up once they landed, but after being "rescued" by David, the movie came to a screeching halt. There are points of interest in David's philosophical musings, but interconnected with the films attempts to provide the audience with a more straight-forward Alien movie, the final product comes off as disjointed. It felt like 2 different movies trying to live as one. Both had their merits, but both had flaws.

What should we expect then? I agree that comparisons to Requiem would be outlandish, but I can see some parallels to Alien Resurrection. I do believe Covenant to be the better of the 2 however. It does not however come close to matching up to Alien, Aliens, or even Prometheus. Alien 3 either, in my mind. I don't have a checklist of what I want from an Alien movie as some do, but what I appreciated so much about Prometheus was that it forged it's own path. It's ambition was huge, and although the execution didn't quite match up to the ideas it presented, I believe it to be a very good film. One of my biggest gripes in franchise films is redundancy. While the barebones plot of any Alien movie is bound to have similarities, I felt as if Covenant just borrowed the plot of the first Alien, spliced with a Prometheus sequel.

Quote from: That Yellow Alien on May 20, 2017, 03:17:18 PM

When I say redundancy, this is what I'm talking about.

fiveways

fiveways

Quote from: Snake on May 20, 2017, 02:53:00 PM
Quote from: fiveways on May 20, 2017, 02:51:17 PM
Quote from: 426Buddy on May 20, 2017, 01:01:57 PM
What!? Fiveways hated the the film?  I'm shocked :D

More surprising was how much the group i was with just tore it to shreds.  One of them was a massive Alien fan who's quote was "I'm done with this franchise and Ridley Scott in general".  This dudes spent a lot of $ on Alien related stuff and just despised it.  I actually felt bad for him as he had real high hopes.

It's their loss to be honest. I'll be first in line when the sequel comes out.

If it comes out.  Lets see how this movie holds up second week. 

I was never sold on the slasher version of "The Island of Dr Moreau". 

You give us Prometheus which flawed as it is I really enjoyed.  Then they drop just a boring, typical, tie the series in a bow and ruin the mystery sequel (the David created the Alien, Shaw as the proto-queen and this ending up as a weird love story is really disappointing).  People who expect more are bound to be disappointed. 

Snake

Snake

If it comes out.  Lets see how this movie holds up second week. 
[/quote]
Of course it will, they're going to start filming within 14 months or so. But if you don't want that then you're a f**kING MORON!

Engineer

Engineer

Quote from: Snake on May 20, 2017, 12:01:55 PM
Guys, have a look at this, I copied this from another thread:

Hi all,

I'm a new member so I apologize in advance if I make some mistakes regarding board/posting norms. I teach college level classes in Media Studies and have a background in Film/TV along with degrees in the aforementioned fields and the social sciences.  Since Hollywood movies aren't always respected by those in higher learning, I thought I would feel more at home with fellow Alien fans rather than writing/discussing in other places.

Just saw Alien: Covenant last night. After viewing it, I was impressed with how everything is starting to connect with the entire Alien universe. This connection is occurring at both a plot and thematic/philosophical level. I was particularly stunned at how Scott was still able to thread the philosophical nature of Prometheus with pacing/horror of the original series - all in an attempt to assuage Prometheus' critics.

Let's look at some key elements:

David's name and birth - Why call Fassbender's android David? Many speculated that this follows the series' alphabetical android naming process. We have Ash (letter A) in Alien, Bishop in Aliens/Alien 3 (Letter B), and Call in Alien: Resurrection (letter C). Prometheus follows the pattern by giving the letter D it's due. However, Alien: Covenant breaks this pattern with Walter (letter W). Why?

Part 1:
We learn that David is named after the famous Michelangelo statue. This greatly changes the meaning of his name. The David statue is important on two levels:

1) it represents the Renaissance's physical representation of the ideal man. Just as David, the android, represents Weyland's "ideal" creation/son.

2) It foreshadows the critical importance of David's actions. The David statue is modeled after the Biblical character (religious themes like in Prometheus). David, the mere weakling, destroys the giant, more powerful Goliath. This parallels David's actions with both the death of the engineers (the Goliaths or giants) and his intent to kill mankind (the other Goliaths, his masters/creators). The unlikely android servant becomes a god just as the Biblical character becomes an unlikely victor.

The question is: was this the plan from the start? Was this Scott's plan with Prometheus? It all ties in. The name has nothing to do with an alphabetical nature (as evidenced by Walter) - David's name comes from a place of deeper meaning planted in Prometheus.

Part 2

Ozymandias, Shelley, and Frankenstein

Along with the David statue, another major artistic reference is Percy Shelley's Ozymandias poem. The poem refers to the decline of a great civilization (Ancient Egypt). David recites a line from the poem when dropping the black ooze (or black oil from The X-Files if you prefer ;)).  So, David is destroying the empire of the engineers just as referenced in the poem. He is also intent on destroying the other declining civilization - mankind. He references this in his conversation with Walter stating something along the lines of "why are they leaving earth, looking for colonies - they are in decline and shouldn't be allowed to restart."

However, there is a multiple layer of deep meaning in the Ozymandias choice:

1) David mistakenly claims that the poem is written by Byron. This is CRITICALLY IMPORTANT - on a surface level, it shows that David is not programmed correctly, which explains his many violent actions.

On a deeper level, it highlights David's totally incongruous actions. Byron was actually an outspoken critic of "automation" - he claimed it would hurt mankind. Yet, David admires Byron (albeit erroneously) - just as he kills Shaw, yet clearly loves her. He is like a robotic Jekyll and Hyde. He serves Weyland, yet undermines him. He kisses Walter, yet tries to destroy him. He kisses Daniels, before he attempts to murder her.

2) Percy Shelley, author of Ozymandias, was married to Mary Shelley, author of Frankenstein. Frankenstein, of course, is about the horrors of creation, the horrors of Man playing God. This lines up thematically with the prequel series - when Man plays God (Weyland creates AI) horrible things happen.

What's important about the Shelley connection? Many claim that Percy may have co-written Frankenstein. Does anyone know what the original title of Frankenstein was - The Modern Prometheus

So again, the seeds of Covenant and its plot are thematically connected to Prometheus. To some extent, by giving the title Prometheus to the first prequel, we were destined to have the plot in Covenant - the engineers were never (thematically) going to make sense as creators of the Xenomorph. I know this may hurt the perceptions of some fans - but look at the threads - the prequel series is a futuristic Frankenstein or (Futuristic "Modern Prometheus").

It is mankind's actions (AI creation) that lead to the horrors. The Frankenstein monster (David) turns against its creator. Scott and crew just make the Frankenstein monster, David, become another creator in his act of revenge on mankind.

Part 3

Who is Prometheus?

We all know the tale of Prometheus by now. So who is Prometheus? I will contend that Elizabeth Shaw is in fact "Prometheus" - it is why she is the lead of the first prequel and why she must be deceased in the second prequel.

Prometheus, a god (creator species), gives the power of making fire (ability to start civilization) to mankind (created species). For this action, Prometheus is chained eternally and tortured.

Elizabeth Shaw, a human (creator species) gives android David (created species) power by reattaching his head and granting him access to the Engineer ship(ability to start civilization/create life).  For this action, Elizabeth Shaw is taxidermied/turned into a stuffed animal (chained eternally/tortured).

Conclusion (I know, finally)

So, all of the themes/references in Prometheus actually connect quite well in Covenant, despite the fact that the film feels more like an "Alien" movie. I'm impressed with how this was all done and wonder if this was planned all along or if they've been able to connect the dots as they go.

I've read some of the fan criticisms and respect the viewpoints. But from a thematic perspective, this was the direction they seemed to be heading in since Prometheus. Shaw was never going to be the lead for the entirety of the prequel series and David was always going to play the critical role in the creation story.

Now since the Xenomorph origin has been largely revealed and philosophical connections have been made, we are left with two major PLOT points moving forward:

1) How does the company learn about the Xenomorph and why/who wants it?

2) How does the original derelict/Space Jockey wind up in the condition of the original Alien?

Thoughts?
Wow! Who wrote this and where? I'd like to thank him for providing such a well thought out analysis! Certainly got me thinking about Prometheus and covenant in a different light...

However there's still 'Alien' to think about. Here's my biggest criticism of the film: The alien.

When I first saw alien, there was a grand sense of mystery behind the Origin of the alien and the derelict. Dallas's comment about the pilot being dead a long time and looking fossilized gave us all the impression these creatures were very old and had been on lv 426 for centuries. I didn't like the idea of Prometheus exploring more of the space jockey so much because it answered questions that were better left unanswered. But I didn't despise it exactly either. What I disliked most about Prometheus was the pacing, poorly developed characters, and overall plot. Not exactly a fan of the black goo either. But since we only had vague hints of the original alien throughout Prometheus I was able to live with it.

Covenant made the big mistake of showing us officially that David created the xenomorphs a mere few decades before the nostromo found them on lv 426. I don't fully blame Ridley Scott or the writers for this though. I blame the fans, myself included, for ranting in the first place about how Prometheus wasn't 'alien' enough. Maybe Ridley really did have a grand plan in mind, and he decided now to show us the alien onscreen again in response to that criticism. I think this movie would have been better, and by extension Prometheus would have been made better, if covenant had left out the xenos. Davids creation could have easily been something else that, like the neomorphs, had some similarities with the xenos but still fundamentally different. That would have preserved at least some of the mystery in 'alien' while still accomplishing the story/themes of Prometheus that Ridley set out to explore.

Nonetheless, after reading this guy's analysis, I think I need to digest covenant a little more... so now, I'm "still collating" (see what I did there? Bwahaha). ;-)

acidreign

acidreign

I liked it! Kind of perfunctory as an Alien movie, but as a mad scientist movie it's weird and fascinating.

My only true gripe was the pacing.  Wayyy too fast. I will definitely have to see it again.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: That Yellow Alien on May 20, 2017, 03:09:52 AM
If this is what the remaining Alien films going forward are going to be, than I don't really know how to feel. It's hard to believe the same person who made Alien made this. Then again, that was  nearly 40 years ago, Scott is a different person. But honestly, I'd rather keep in the tradition of the classic films and allow new visionary directors make Alien movies, because Ridley doesn't seem like he wants to.

While I don't hate Covenant, I don't like the direction it's setting up to go in. I'm with you in that I hope they give it to someone else who actually wants to make Alien films. Not David films with Aliens tacked on. And I love David. I'd rather Scott had been able to make an Alien-less film focusing around David and the Neomorphs.

Quote from: Snake on May 20, 2017, 03:51:45 PM
QuoteIf it comes out.  Lets see how this movie holds up second week. 
Of course it will, they're going to start filming within 14 months or so. But if you don't want that then you're a f**kING MORON!

Can I also remind everyone to conduct themselves with some sense of maturity? I'm so bored of having to remind people to act like adults. We won't all agree (obviously) but we can disagree like grown-ups without resorting to insults. If anyone feels they can't act in such a fashion, I suggest they don't post.

Snake

Snake

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 20, 2017, 04:07:58 PM
If this is what the remaining Alien films going forward are going to be, than I don't really know how to feel. It's hard to believe the same person who made Alien made this. Then again, that was  nearly 40 years ago, Scott is a different person. But honestly, I'd rather keep in the tradition of the classic films and allow new visionary directors make Alien movies, because Ridley doesn't seem like he wants to.

While I don't hate Covenant, I don't like the direction it's setting up to go in. I'm with you in that I hope they give it to someone else who actually wants to make Alien films. Not David films with Aliens tacked on. And I love David. I'd rather Scott had been able to make an Alien-less film focusing around David and the Neomorphs.

Can I also remind everyone to conduct themselves with some sense of maturity? I'm so bored of having to remind people to act like adults. We won't all agree (obviously) but we can disagree like grown-ups without resorting to insults. If anyone feels they can't act in such a fashion, I suggest they don't post.

Sorry Hicks but the amount of haters here is just baffling. And this is a site for Alien and Predator fans?! You count me out! - Hudson-

Spidey3121

Spidey3121

Honestly, it stands to reason that you will get the most divisive responses on  fan board. If I see a bad movie that I have no prior connection with, it's just a bad movie. If I see a bad movie courtesy of a franchise I love, I'm going to be livid. That's not to see I hated Covenant. Far from it, though I was disappointed given my expectations. Anyone can like or dislike this film to whichever degree they want and can still be a fan of the franchise.

Darkness

Darkness

And everybody would be bitching that no Xenomorphs appear in it so it would be pointless even calling it Alien whatever. Prometheus already did that and look how it turned out. This is the Alien franchise - NOT the Prometheus franchise.

Quote from: Snake on May 20, 2017, 04:26:40 PM

Sorry Hicks but the amount of haters here is just baffling. And this is a site for Alien and Predator fans?! You count me out! - Hudson-

You must not leave Snake! We have to defend this fantastic movie from the onslaught.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed