Could have been better. (2/5)
60 (13.1%)
Didn't like it. (1/5)
32 (7%)
Hated it! (0/5)
30 (6.6%)

Total Members Voted: 455

Author
Alien Covenant Fan Reviews (Read 274,159 times)

Darkness

Darkness

Did we watch the same movie here?  Honestly, I think you guys who didn't like it have some unrealistic expectations of what an Alien movie should be. Covenant is not a terrible movie by any stretch of the imagination and you guys are comparing it to the likes of Resurrection and Requiem which was absolutely horrendous. If you went in there expecting a story as grande as Alien, Aliens or Prometheus, you are going to be disappointed.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Quote from: Darkness on May 20, 2017, 01:11:38 PM
Did we watch the same movie here?  Honestly, I think you guys who didn't like it have some unrealistic expectations of what an Alien movie should be. Covenant is not a terrible movie by any stretch of the imagination and you guys are comparing it to the likes of Resurrection and Requiem which was absolutely horrendous. If you went in there expecting a story as grande as Alien, Aliens or Prometheus, you are going to be disappointed.

I agree, but its always the same on the internet. A plsce where even the best films are roasted and burned.

Darth Vile

Darth Vile

Quote from: YutaniDitch on May 20, 2017, 01:11:21 PM
Very weak movie story-wise,in terms of  pacing, character development, continuity, plot, etc... They even got David's blood RED when Daniels stabs him in the chin with the nail... WTF?... This movie was so clumsily done I am amazed so many people liked it... The script is terrible, with characters doing idiotic things all over the place, the most unrealistic Android ever made, the Xeno genesis completely fumbled, ridiculed  and directly attacking the originals... So many things to say, so little time... 😡
There was no red blood. Perhaps you need to watch again...

That Yellow Alien

Covenant did nothing new with the Alien. At least Resurrection had the underwater sequence...

Darkness

Darkness

Yes, we also had the abomination that was the Newborn as well... Let's not forget that.

Covenant had brand new scary creatures in the Neomorphs.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Quote from: That Yellow Alien on May 20, 2017, 01:23:04 PM
Covenant did nothing new with the Alien. At least Resurrection had the underwater sequence...

Does every alien film have to have some new gimmick for the alien to perform?

The alien part of the film was weaker i thought but there was some cool stuff. I thought when it jumped down from the ceiling to kill that guy was great. Also really liked the shower scene.

Gash

Gash

Quote from: That Yellow Alien on May 20, 2017, 01:23:04 PM

Right. So sounds like you'd be happy if the alien sprouted wings and started flying. That'd be cool.  :D

That Yellow Alien

That Yellow Alien

Quote from: Darkness on May 20, 2017, 01:26:41 PM
Yes, we also had the abomination that was the Newborn as well... Let's not forget that.

And did nothing with them. I was super excited for the Neomorphs. But outside of the excellent backburster scene, they run around in the grass for 30 seconds and then disappear until one appears again for David to blow on its face.

Quote from: Gash on May 20, 2017, 01:28:48 PM
Right. So sounds like you'd be happy if the alien sprouted wings and started flying. That'd be cool.  :D

No, I would have liked more stuff like the Neomorphs. The way they reproduced was very cool, but they are underutilized.

Snake

Snake

They even got David's blood RED when Daniels stabs him in the chin with the nail... WTF?...

I didn't even see that, you're really trying hard to find anything to dislike about this movie, aren't you?

Gash

Gash

Quote from: That Yellow Alien on May 20, 2017, 01:33:15 PM

And did nothing with them. I was super excited for the Neomorphs. But outside of the excellent backburster scene, they run around in the grass for 30 seconds and then disappear until one appears again for David to blow on its face.

Quote from: Gash on May 20, 2017, 01:28:48 PM

No, I would have liked more stuff like the Neomorphs. The way they reproduced was very cool, but they are underutilized.

I think the important thing with the Neomorphs is what they mean to David. Are they a perverse attempt to resurrect something of Shaw - is that why he's enthralled by the hint of awareness it posesses when he tries to communicate with it, and why he's enraged by it's demise? The Neomorphs give plenty of food for thought so thematically at least they are far from underutilised. IMO.

Plus it bit a women's head off - that was good too.

Quote from: Snake on May 20, 2017, 01:51:39 PM
They even got David's blood RED when Daniels stabs him in the chin with the nail... WTF?...

I didn't even see that, you're really trying hard to find anything to dislike about this movie, aren't you?

The scene was practically in silhouette. How can you even tell what colour the blood is? I was more interested in the nail and the 'That's the spirit!" line.

Snake

Snake

Quote from: Darkness on May 20, 2017, 01:11:38 PM

It's better than Alien and more thought-provoking. I believe art has no place anymore in this superficial and rushed world of today. 

fiveways

fiveways

Quote from: 426Buddy on May 20, 2017, 01:01:57 PM
What!? Fiveways hated the the film?  I'm shocked :D

More surprising was how much the group i was with just tore it to shreds.  One of them was a massive Alien fan who's quote was "I'm done with this franchise and Ridley Scott in general".  This dudes spent a lot of $ on Alien related stuff and just despised it.  I actually felt bad for him as he had real high hopes.

Snake

Snake

Quote from: fiveways on May 20, 2017, 02:51:17 PM
Quote from: 426Buddy on May 20, 2017, 01:01:57 PM
What!? Fiveways hated the the film?  I'm shocked :D

More surprising was how much the group i was with just tore it to shreds.  One of them was a massive Alien fan who's quote was "I'm done with this franchise and Ridley Scott in general".  This dudes spent a lot of $ on Alien related stuff and just despised it.  I actually felt bad for him as he had real high hopes.

It's their loss to be honest. I'll be first in line when the sequel comes out.

YutaniDitch

YutaniDitch

So, you prefer the almost bulletproof, horse whispered Neomorph...!? At least, that Newborn hybrid made SOME sense... Honestly, after seeing the Neomorph who is spawned from mere sentient spore 'fairy dust', gestates in minutes and dodges far more direct bullet hits than the Xeno, the supposedly perfect bio organism... 😂😜 And I laughed so hard during the David whisperer scene... Scary, definitely not... hilarious, sure... 😂

acrediblesource

acrediblesource

My only issue with this movie in not being a PERFECT movie experience is
1. Not in IMAX. I feel like I can explore the details of this yet another beautifully shot film, if there was more to see. Regular screens don't cut it.
2. More atmospheric cuts between ACTS. Because although there was lots of beautiful atmo, i don't feel like I'm immersed in it as much as the crew were in every place they went. Some time to breath in during the half and final act would have been perfect. This could have been due to my point in number 1.

3. Cut out some of the revealing Xenomorph birthing. I get what director Ridley was trying to achieve , I just didn't feel it was necessarily made with enough emotional context to the audience whom have NOT watched Alien. As much of this was a throw back to ASH and his admiration for the species.

4. Cut down on the details of the massive starship elements. It came off like a modern Star Trek movie which I recall wasn't a staple of the Ridley verse. So it was an Ark ship, and you had to show its structural elements, but I felt it was too elaborate for a Ridley movie. Not enough rough stuff. Unfortunately WE ALL WANTED   a  Nostromo type ship but they totally forgot about that.

5. With all the digital stuff out there, we still can't get the Xenomorph to do things which we want to see. Like them camoflaging themselves in crevases are in funky textural walls. What we got was the same old same, in the vein of Alien Resurrection. Which I swear they could have easily left out (Xeno in the red lighting corridors with cameras on them from above). These were horribly shot and gave the Xeno absolutely no hope in terms of photographic composition.

6. David could have been more presentable realistically. It had been 10 years  in the woods and inventing a number sharp tools and sheers yet they made him look like he just had 6 months of hair growing out. Seemingly he was freshly shaven.
And not a scratch on the guy. No broken face, no wear on his skin, nothing to show he is truely synthetic or horribly inhuman which could have saved this movie and made the ending MUCH more interesting.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed