Could have been better. (2/5)
60 (13.1%)
Didn't like it. (1/5)
32 (7%)
Hated it! (0/5)
30 (6.6%)

Total Members Voted: 455

Author
Alien Covenant Fan Reviews (Read 274,109 times)

oberonqa

oberonqa

Quote from: Hudson on May 20, 2017, 04:52:52 AM
Quote from: Predaker on May 20, 2017, 04:49:36 AM
Oram confronted David.

Care to elaborate? I'm not asking these questions to be antagonistic, I actually do want an explanation. Remember, I am a fan. I wanted to like this movie. I still want to try. I just saw the movie today but I don't remember the exact dialogue where Oram asks David why he changes his hair.

Another question, did anyone find the reaction to finding Shaw's dog-tags and photograph extremely subdued?

"Oh, yeah. Shaw. She disappeared. Whatever." It seemed like no one really cared.

They didn't know who Shaw was aside from the limited information that Walter was able to provide them.  Their reaction is pretty much on-par with reading about the death of someone you didn't know.  You may feel sad for the people who knew the person, but you didn't know the person who died so your empathy is going to be limited.  In the case of Shaw, they didn't know her and they didn't know Holloway... nor did they know anything about what happened to Shaw in Prometheus.  She was, to them, a total stranger and therefore, finding her tags or picture would be limited to curiosity and nothing more, as anything more would require them to have knowledge they could not realistically have.

Quote from: Hudson on May 20, 2017, 04:59:38 AM
You are speculating on the editing/production of the film. I'm asking about the characters and the story.

QuoteOram says he saw the devil as a child and asks David what's really going on. I think that line worked better than, "why'd you cut your hair?"

That wasn't spoken as a result of the character's change in appearance, it was spoken after Oram watched David have his moment with the neomorph. Completely different and way delayed. I'm not asking that.

Jesus Christ. I'm asking about the initial moment it happens and everyone gets a look at him. It's extremely f**king suspicious and none of the characters seemed to notice or care. And yeah, they were traumatized. Would that not put them in a heightened state of awareness?

Everyone responds to traumatic/stressful situations differently.  Some people become more focused... some people become unhinged.  It's unrealistic to expect rational behavior from people in traumatic and/or stressful situations. 

And Orem's statement is a reference to Orem observing that David acts one way in front of the crew and another way when he is alone.  The accusation that David is the Devil is likely an accusation that David is like the Serpent who tempted Adam and Eve to eat the Apple in the Garden.  The Serpent had his own agenda for wanting Adam and Eve to eat the apple and Orem likely recognized that David's behavior is fueled by a self-serving agenda. 

Hudson

Hudson

QuoteAnd Orem's statement is a reference to Orem observing that David acts one way in front of the crew and another way when he is alone.  The accusation that David is the Devil is likely an accusation that David is like the Serpent who tempted Adam and Eve to eat the Apple in the Garden.  The Serpent had his own agenda for wanting Adam and Eve to eat the apple and Orem likely recognized that David's behavior is fueled by a self-serving agenda.

Yes, I agree. Oram doesn't confront David to ask why he's trying to look exactly like Walter.

QuoteIt's unrealistic to expect rational behavior from people in traumatic and/or stressful situations. 

Like any time a character has a plan of action after the shit hits the fan in the original Alien films?

oberonqa

oberonqa

Quote from: Hudson on May 20, 2017, 05:10:37 AM
QuoteAnd Orem's statement is a reference to Orem observing that David acts one way in front of the crew and another way when he is alone.  The accusation that David is the Devil is likely an accusation that David is like the Serpent who tempted Adam and Eve to eat the Apple in the Garden.  The Serpent had his own agenda for wanting Adam and Eve to eat the apple and Orem likely recognized that David's behavior is fueled by a self-serving agenda.

Yes, I agree. Oram doesn't confront David to ask why he's trying to look exactly like Walter.

QuoteIt's unrealistic to expect rational behavior from people in traumatic and/or stressful situations. 

Like any time a character has a plan of action after the shit hits the fan in the original Alien films?

You mean like Dallas's plan of corralling the Alien into an airlock and blasting it into space?  The same plan that Ripley originally wanted to try again after Dallas was taken, despite Lambert wanting to abandon ship?

Or perhaps that time when Ripley decided to be Rambo and go by herself into an Alien hive to rescue Newt when the previous incursion into the nest resulted in the loss of 3/4 of the marine squad?

I'm not trying to diss on Ripley here... but you did open the door by asking that question.  Dallas had a solid plan... but when he was taken, Ripley was not thinking clearly and should have listened to Lambert (even though she did bring up a good point about there being only 1 cryopod).  As for Ripley going back for Newt, that was a suicide mission and no one in their right mind would have gone back for Newt.  What she did was incredibly brave... but was also incredibly stupid.

BarryBigPlums

BarryBigPlums

Quote from: Darth Vile on May 10, 2017, 06:01:10 AM
01) Alien
02) Aliens

03) Alien: Covenant

04) Prometheus
05) Alien 3

06) AVP
07) Alien Resurrection

08) AVP: Requiem

Perfect list I agree fully

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hudson

Hudson

Oh, interesting. So, hysterical Lambert was able to make a rational decision?

This is definitely straying from what people observe with their eyes. Simply because they're traumatized and stressed, there's no reason for these characters to have missed a very suspicious move on David's part. If anything, they should have been more concerned about what those implications meant straight away. They haven't been on the planet surface for more than a few hours, they've lost five people, they've just coincidentally found evidence of what happened to Shaw and met David who was suspiciously the only survivor. I would think they would see that David was clearly up to something and react as if the situation was getting even more complicated, not ignore it completely.

And also, I'm not buying the Shaw reaction. In all of infinite space they--out of the blue--find where she died after a decade and no one seems at all surprised or curious? Nah. That doesn't work at all.

oberonqa

oberonqa

Quote from: Hudson on May 20, 2017, 05:31:25 AM

This is definitely straying from what people observe with their eyes. Simply because they're traumatized and stressed, there's no reason for these characters to have missed a very suspicious move on David's part. If anything, they should have been more concerned about what those implications meant straight away. They haven't been on the planet surface for more than a few hours, they've lost five people, they've just coincidentally found evidence of what happened to Shaw and met David who was suspiciously the only survivor. I would think they would see that David was clearly up to something and react as if the situation was getting even more complicated, not ignore it completely.

And also, I'm not buying the Shaw reaction. In all of infinite space they--out of the blue--find where she died after a decade and no one seems at all surprised or curious? Nah. That doesn't work at all.

Fight or flight response.  Ripley's response was to fight.  Lambert's response was to run away.  Given the fact that Dallas's plan resulted in Dallas's death, the flight response would have been more rational than trying the exact same plan that just failed hoping for a different result.

EDIT:  I think we should probably just agree to disagree and move on.  I get the feeling we can go back and forth all night and I really don't want to do that.

Hudson

Hudson

Quote from: oberonqa on May 20, 2017, 05:34:35 AM

Fight or flight response.  Ripley's response was to fight.  Lambert's response was to run away.  Given the fact that Dallas's plan resulted in Dallas's death, the flight response would have been more rational than trying the exact same plan that just failed hoping for a different result.

Her response wasn't to fight, it was to flush the Alien out of the airlock like Dallas suggested. They did not once in the entire film ever have a plan to fight the Alien even though they were armed. Parker is the only person who says he wants to kill it, but that is never acknowledged as viable by Ripley or Lambert, and of course not Ash.

oberonqa

oberonqa

Quote from: Hudson on May 20, 2017, 05:38:29 AM
Quote from: oberonqa on May 20, 2017, 05:34:35 AM

Her response wasn't to fight, it was to flush the Alien out of the airlock like Dallas suggested. They did not once in the entire film ever have a plan to fight the Alien even though they were armed. Parker is the only person who says he wants to kill it, but that is never acknowledged as viable by Ripley or Lambert, and of course not Ash.

Flushing the Alien is a form of fighting the Alien.  They were attempting to remove the Alien from the ship rather than leaving the ship.  That is the definition of fight or flight.  Like I suggested in an edit, perhaps we should just agree to disagree and move on.  We can go back and forth all night and I really don't want to do that.  I get the feeling that your not going to change your opinions/views any more than I am going to change mine... so all we're doing is basically back and forth.  Point, counter-point, point, counter-point, ad-nausem.  So yea.... agree to disagree and part as friends?  =)

Hudson

Hudson

Fight or flight comes in the moment of adrenaline, not sitting around a table figuring out what to do.

I'm going to let people talk about Alien Covenant now.

oberonqa

oberonqa

Quote from: Hudson on May 20, 2017, 05:44:54 AM
Fight or flight comes in the moment of adrenaline, not sitting around a table figuring out what to do.

I'm going to let people talk about Alien Covenant now.

Works for me.  Friends?  : :)

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

Well, just saw the movie in Toronto, Canada.  It was very grey and dark.  Not digging the color palette.  Also, it reminded me of a Star Trek movie.  The one on that Genesis planet whichever that is.  It's nothing to do with the story.  It's just being on an alien planet that looks like earth that irks me, and it felt like being on a set.  The ending was ace though.  I'm going to have to watch it ten more times before I figure out how I feel about the film.  I did prefer Prometheus.  Also no explanation at all about why the explorers would go on a planet that clearly has living things on it, without any environmental protective gear.  That's just dumb.  Again.  Dumb and dumber...

Nostromo

Nostromo

No wonder this movie was completed in a month, or was it 2? It clearly showed a simpleton pace & story. Waste of good actors. Who wrote this sh!t? And the CGI...damn that sucked. I am now crediting Alien more to O'Bannon and Giger than Scott...what a waste of anticipation.

oberonqa

oberonqa

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on May 20, 2017, 07:38:02 AM
Well, just saw the movie in Toronto, Canada.  It was very grey and dark.  Not digging the color palette.  Also, it reminded me of a Star Trek movie.  The one on that Genesis planet whichever that is.  It's nothing to do with the story.  It's just being on an alien planet that looks like earth that irks me, and it felt like being on a set.  The ending was ace though.  I'm going to have to watch it ten more times before I figure out how I feel about the film.  I did prefer Prometheus.  Also no explanation at all about why the explorers would go on a planet that clearly has living things on it, without any environmental protective gear.  That's just dumb.  Again.  Dum and dumber...

I am kinda disappointed that you of all people, would bring up the safety protocol argument, JM.  I figured you would have caught the bit of dialog where they mention conducting an atmospheric scan and not finding anything dangerous in the atmosphere.  :(

Gash

Gash

Quote from: Hudson on May 20, 2017, 03:36:47 AM

Also, how is Resurrection a pilot for Firefly if Whedon disowned it essentially?

He disowned it because it was ridiculed as rubbish and he didn't want to take the blame.

Quote from: oberonqa on May 20, 2017, 07:46:38 AM
Quote from: Perfect-Organism on May 20, 2017, 07:38:02 AM
Well, just saw the movie in Toronto, Canada.  It was very grey and dark.  Not digging the color palette.  Also, it reminded me of a Star Trek movie.  The one on that Genesis planet whichever that is.  It's nothing to do with the story.  It's just being on an alien planet that looks like earth that irks me, and it felt like being on a set.  The ending was ace though.  I'm going to have to watch it ten more times before I figure out how I feel about the film.  I did prefer Prometheus.  Also no explanation at all about why the explorers would go on a planet that clearly has living things on it, without any environmental protective gear.  That's just dumb.  Again.  Dum and dumber...

I am kinda disappointed that you of all people, would bring up the safety protocol argument, JM.  I figured you would have caught the bit of dialog where they mention conducting an atmospheric scan and not finding anything dangerous in the atmosphere.  :(

Plus, they had seven weeks from finding the planet to arriving at it, plenty of time to get more info on it. As more is revealed later on it's easy enough to assume that it's a planet in abeyance until they arrive and start triggering things.

Semaka

Semaka

Here is my review, I really wanted to like this movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeZw_ZJhD_w

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed