Could have been better. (2/5)
60 (13.1%)
Didn't like it. (1/5)
32 (7%)
Hated it! (0/5)
30 (6.6%)

Total Members Voted: 456

Author
Alien Covenant Fan Reviews (Read 277,560 times)

Butterfly

Butterfly

Quote from: Hudson on May 19, 2017, 10:45:14 PM

Man anybody who truthfully thinks resurrection is better than covenant must smoke bath salts

I'm curious to see how most people with settle with this movies a few months from now on. Regardless, I've been baffled for years by the way virtually everyone in the internet seems to still think that A:R is the worst thing ever that's happened to the Alien franchise after AvP and Prometheus.  :P

echobbase79

echobbase79

Quote from: Butterfly on May 19, 2017, 11:44:58 PM
Quote from: Hudson on May 19, 2017, 10:45:14 PM

Man anybody who truthfully thinks resurrection is better than covenant must smoke bath salts

I'm curious to see how most people with settle with this movies a few months from now on. Regardless, I've been baffled for years by the way virtually everyone in the internet seems to still think that A:R is the worst thing ever that's happened to the Alien franchise after AvP and Prometheus.  :P

I've tried to give Resurrection the benefit of the doubt many times. I love the opening act, but when the Aliens escape it just goes down hill from there. I loved the Ripley 8 character, the underwater and ladder escape scenes. The Newborn is a wonderful creation of practical effects by ADI. I just didn't like the film's inconstant tone and from serious to dark comedy.

Vers

Vers

Quote from: Darth Vile on May 10, 2017, 06:01:10 AM
01) Alien
02) Aliens

03) Alien: Covenant

04) Prometheus
05) Alien 3

06) AVP
07) Alien Resurrection

08) AVP: Requiem

I'm with you on this review. Though Aliens will always be number one for me, I feel very similar about the rest.

bb-15

bb-15

My ranking;

1. "Alien"
2. "Aliens"
3. "Prometheus"
4. "Covenant"
5. "Alien 3: Assembly Cut"
6. "Alien: Resurrection" (theatrical cut)
7. "AVP: Aliens vs Predator"
8. "AVP: Requiem";

* "Covenant" is solid in several areas; cast/acting, set design, creatures, pace and tone.
- The story may drag a bit but it is interesting because of the David character and what he does.
- As a horror film it's OK. It is more creepy that scary.
But as an action/adventure movie, "Covenant" has several effective sequences. 

;)

oberonqa

oberonqa

Just got out of the theater and all I can say is Wow!  I loved it from beginning to end... and even though I saw the twist ending coming a mile away, it was still thoroughly enjoyable.  I can't wait to see it again!

My ranking:

Alien
Aliens
Alien: Covenant
Alien 3
Prometheus
AvP
AvP: R
Alien Resurrection

Edit:  After reading the last couple of pages, I'm surprised no one has commented on David's rather obvious switch in behavior after Orem wastes the adult Neomorph that David was trying to communicate with.  To me, it's almost like Orems actions showed David that his distaste/hatred of humanity is justified.  I have to wonder if David would have taken Orem down to the lab if things had played out differently....

cucuchu

cucuchu

Quote from: oberonqa on May 20, 2017, 01:26:26 AM
Just got out of the theater and all I can say is Wow!  I loved it from beginning to end... and even though I saw the twist ending coming a mile away, it was still thoroughly enjoyable.  I can't wait to see it again!

My ranking:

Alien
Aliens
Alien 3
Prometheus
AvP
Alien Resurrection

Edit:  After reading the last couple of pages, I'm surprised no one has commented on David's rather obvious switch in behavior after Orem wastes the adult Neomorph that David was trying to communicate with.  To me, it's almost like Orems actions showed David that his distaste/hatred of humanity is justified.  I have to wonder if David would have taken Orem down to the lab if things had played out differently....

Good question. Oram actually requested for David to show him what was going on and David merely complied  :D

oberonqa

oberonqa

Quote from: cucuchu on May 20, 2017, 02:23:24 AM

My ranking:

Alien
Aliens
Alien 3
Prometheus
AvP
Alien Resurrection

Good question. Oram actually requested for David to show him what was going on and David merely complied  :D

Exactly.  Until that point, he didn't seem interested in taking anyone down to the lab.  Perhaps he saved them from the Neomorohs because he figured they may have been nice like Shaw and Orems actions showed he was wrong and that switched him into Mad Scientist mode. 

cucuchu

cucuchu

Quote from: oberonqa on May 20, 2017, 02:43:59 AM

My ranking:

Alien
Aliens
Alien 3
Prometheus
AvP
Alien Resurrection

Exactly.  Until that point, he didn't seem interested in taking anyone down to the lab.  Perhaps he saved them from the Neomorohs because he figured they may have been nice like Shaw and Orems actions showed he was wrong and that switched him into Mad Scientist mode.

Perhaps, though I believe he was unravelling before that. He had already incorrectly named the author of the poem...something was not right. Oh yeah and the genocide of the engineers and harvesting of Shaw's bio matter.

oberonqa

oberonqa

Quote from: cucuchu on May 20, 2017, 02:52:28 AM
Quote from: oberonqa on May 20, 2017, 02:43:59 AM

My ranking:

Alien
Aliens
Alien 3
Prometheus
AvP
Alien Resurrection

Perhaps, though I believe he was unravelling before that. He had already incorrectly named the author of the poem...something was not right. Oh yeah and the genocide of the engineers and harvesting of Shaw's bio matter.

Yea there was definitely a biopolar Dr Jekyl/Mr Hyde thing going there... like he was sincere in his love of Shaw... but he obviously did horrible things to her body. 

That Yellow Alien

That Yellow Alien

"They want Aliens, I'll give them f**king Aliens."

This quote from Ridley Scott echoed through my mind as I watched Alien: Covenant. It doesn't feel like Scott's heart was in this one, and as a result, it doesn't do what Prometheus did well, nor does it do what a quality Alien film should do well. Well, at least most of the time.

The one truly good, high tension scene was the backburster. I also did like the birth of the Alien, it wasn't as bad as so many have reported. But the rest of the scenes with the Aliens and Neomorphs felt hollow and rushed. Clearly Ridley has no interest in making a creature feature. There is no good sequence with it. At least every Alien movie prior had that one lengthy sequence where the Alien gets to shine and do its thing. This movie doesn't have that.

I was hoping at least that the David scenes would pop as I've heard, but surprisingly I didn't even really like those. It was fine, but dragged the movie down.

The characters are much more generic and red-shirt than Prometheus. Say what you want about that film, but at least I knew most of the characters' names. That said, they are acted well.

There are a lot of good ideas in Covenant, but it feels like it was all shoved into a rather bland blockbuster format. It feels empty; like the many modern blockbusters of today. I thought the film would at least be thoughtful, but it's really not.

If this is what the remaining Alien films going forward are going to be, than I don't really know how to feel. It's hard to believe the same person who made Alien made this. Then again, that was  nearly 40 years ago, Scott is a different person. But honestly, I'd rather keep in the tradition of the classic films and allow new visionary directors make Alien movies, because Ridley doesn't seem like he wants to.

BishopShouldGo

BishopShouldGo

Quote from: That Yellow Alien on May 20, 2017, 03:09:52 AM
"They want Aliens, I'll give them f**king Aliens."

This quote from Ridley Scott echoed through my mind as I watched Alien: Covenant. It doesn't feel like Scott's heart was in this one, and as a result, it doesn't do what Prometheus did well, nor does it do what a quality Alien film should do well. Well, at least most of the time.

The one truly good, high tension scene was the backburster. I also did like the birth of the Alien, it wasn't as bad as so many have reported. But the rest of the scenes with the Aliens and Neomorphs felt hollow and rushed. Clearly Ridley has no interest in making a creature feature. There is no good sequence with it. At least every Alien movie prior had that one lengthy sequence where the Alien gets to shine and do its thing. This movie doesn't have that.

I was hoping at least that the David scenes would pop as I've heard, but surprisingly I didn't even really like those. It was fine, but dragged the movie down.

The characters are much more generic and red-shirt than Prometheus. Say what you want about that film, but at least I knew most of the characters' names. That said, they are acted well.

There are a lot of good ideas in Covenant, but it feels like it was all shoved into a rather bland blockbuster format. It feels empty; like the many modern blockbusters of today. I thought the film would at least be thoughtful, but it's really not.

If this is what the remaining Alien films going forward are going to be, than I don't really know how to feel. It's hard to believe the same person who made Alien made this. Then again, that was  nearly 40 years ago, Scott is a different person. But honestly, I'd rather keep in the tradition of the classic films and allow new visionary directors make Alien movies, because Ridley doesn't seem like he wants to.

Summed up my thoughts perfectly. It felt really hollow. Going through the motions, a'la Spielberg on The Lost World.

marrerom

marrerom

I love it. David's interactions with Walter were by far the best parts of the film for me. I also couldn't get enough of the mythology they were building around the Alien's and their origins. I would have liked more exposition regarding the engineers but oh well...Also that ending. That dark as f**k ending. Loved it. Can't wait to see it again.

(P.S. I want to give a big shout out to Ridley for retconning the AVP movies out of existence. Well done.)

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

I thought the movie was decent. It's better than Prometheus, but it's still weighed down by the fact it's basically Prometheus Part 2. I was not hype up for the movie and did not follow any news of the movie. I went into the movie with little to no hope on it being good and I was like "Not bad, but not good neither". It is probably the best decent Alien movie since Alien 3, but we have yet to have a good Alien movie since 1986. Not to mention this movie still didn't even answer any questions from the last movie and instead was also written to lead into the next movie. I also didn't care for any character in this movie expect for David.

I think a 6.5/19 seems a good rating for the movie.

echobbase79

echobbase79

Quote from: marrerom on May 20, 2017, 03:17:56 AM
I love it. David's interactions with Walter were by far the best parts of the film for me. I also couldn't get enough of the mythology they were building around the Alien's and their origins. I would have liked more exposition regarding the engineers but oh well...Also that ending. That dark as f**k ending. Loved it. Can't wait to see it again.

(P.S. I want to give a big shout out to Ridley for retconning the AVP movies out of existence. Well done.
)

You mean with David being the creator of the Alien?

Hudson

Hudson

I get it. Some people like this movie, that's fine whatever. I'm not mad.

BUT, I want someone to make an attempt at justifying the dancing chestburster for me. I'm not going back through pages and pages to find this response if it's already been given, so link me if it's already been explained. Give me your best shot on that, because no matter how much my opinion of this movie softens with time, that is never not going to be both the most idiotic and point-and-laugh hilarious moment in the film.

After thinking about it some, I think I can personally rank all the films since people are doing it. I don't feel like leaving out the Predator movies if the AvP movies are included though. This may change the next time I watch Covenant:

Aliens
Alien
Predator
Alien 3
Predator 2
Alien Resurrection
Prometheus/Alien Covenant
AvP
Predators
AvPR

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed