Could have been better. (2/5)
60 (13.1%)
Didn't like it. (1/5)
32 (7%)
Hated it! (0/5)
30 (6.6%)

Total Members Voted: 456

Author
Alien Covenant Fan Reviews (Read 276,474 times)

Fire Marshall Bill

Just came from watching it on IMAX with my fiancé who could care less about the alien franchise and we both thought it was pretty good, but could've been better. With that being said, there's much to like about this film. Like most of the people who have seen it have said, the first act of the movie was really good. Even the second act was good to me, but the 3rd act had its issues. I also believe the cgi was a problem at some parts. But the movie was definitely entertaining. I could have done without the chestburster throwing his hands in the air and waving em like he just don't care, but I guess the symbolism was that the newborn looked at him as its parent or father and copied davids movements. Either way they could have done that a lot better, was kinda laughable. I also thought the idea of ricks and upworth gettting freaky in the shower at a time like that unbelievable. I mean you just lost damn Near the whole crew to your ship to a bunch of unexplainable shit with aliens and it's like they completely forgot about the past however many hours of hell that has been going on. Didn't like that, either should've been scrapped completely or done at a different time. I also don't get why they promoted the alien jumping in almost every commercial on tv yet it wasn't even in the film. But with all that said, the alien fan in me loved just seeing the story play out and I liked the ending although it was predictable. It was sinister, and def makes them be able to take the next movie a lot of places. I def want to see it again. I think this movie was geared towards the casual fan more than the alien fan honestly, meaning they wanted to bring in new fans to the franchise and keep it fresh, hence the new life cycles of the aliens and neomorphs. I think he was quite aware of the life cycle and the displeasure from hardcore fans that would come with it. But I also know the casual fan like my fiancé doesn't even know nor care about that, they just want to be scared and entertained. All in all, there's no such thing as a perfect movie imo, and this was far from that. But it was fun to watch and nice to look at mostly. I'd definitely recommend it to someone who isn't familiar with the alien franchise. I also understand why some are very unsatisfied by it though. My rating is 3.5 out of 5. Which is better than avg or just an ok movie but its not a great movie. I'd say up until David saves them I would give it 4.5 out of 5. Like it better than Prometheus although I like some things about Prometheus better. Prometheus def looks better in my opinion, but that's prolly about it. Can't wait to see it again

echobbase79

echobbase79

I just got back from seeing it and I enjoyed the film overall. It might the best sequel since Alien 3, but still can't touch the first two. I'm not sure if it's better than the third film quite yet? I think I need to see it again to make a final decision.

Michael Fassbender stole the show as Walter/David. I can't decide which droid performance I enjoyed better? Honestly, I didn't know if I'd care about Walter, but his scenes with Daniels were some of the best in the movie. David's God complex was certainly both sympathetic and disturbing. I know a lot of people had a problem with him communicating with the Neomorph, but I found that to be one of the character's more interesting moments. I also didn't have a problem with him being the (re)creator. I was on the fence about it, but when I saw how the film presented it, I liked it. One thing I didn't understand was where he got the eggs from?

Waterson made a believable heroine that didn't feel like a Ripley clone at all. She brought a real vulnerability to the role, especially in the early moments when she lost Branson. I wish they would've had some more James Franco in this. Why waste the talents of such a good actor?

Then there was Danny Mcbride and Billy Crudup who also turned in very good performances. I wish they would've had more of Mcbride too. Maybe in the next one they will.

The best scenes in the movie were the slaughter in the Medbay (backburster & throatbuster were both sick) and the wheat field attack. The movie never topped these moments, but I don't know how it could've? The Oram chestburster scene was good, but way to fast. I did like his final line to David, "What do you believe in?" The Alien fight on top of the drop ship was pretty good, but nothing special. Surprisingly, most of the CGI was very good with some shots looking like practical effects. Also, this film had the best score since Alien 3. I loved when the 'spores track' kicked in when Ledward began creating smoke rings.

The movie had me hook, line, and sinker up until the end.

Like other people have mentioned before me, the ending feels very tacked on. While I enjoyed the content, it felt so lifeless. I honestly wished they would've focused more on the Neomorphs. They were so much more interesting here. Also, what the hell happened to the second one? There were two right? I was pretty sure that the one escaped the ship before it exploded? I think it would've been better to have it on the ship at the end instead of the classic Xeno. The ending was the most frustrating part for me. I don't see how Lope get impregnated? That facehugger was on his face for like five seconds. I didn't buy that at all.

But the biggest problem I had with the film was how Shaw was just thrown into the film like a slaughtered piece of meat! Literally! That was bullshit right there. I was more accepting of not knowing how she died at all instead of seeing her rotting corpse lying on a table.  ::) I really liked Shaw and I thought the character deserved more respect than this.

Also, the destruction of the Engineer home planet was also over way to fast. While visually creepy and gross, it really didn't leave much of an impression on me. This movie really needed to take a breath in some scenes, especially the end.

But even though I saw the twist coming a mile away, I still enjoyed it. The film definitely ends on a down note that I found refreshing. 

I was going to give the film a 7.5, but after thinking about it for awhile, I'm going to give it a 7. I enjoyed it, but there were some problems. Mainly the ending.

My ranking:

Alien
Aliens
Alien 3
Covenant
Prometheus
AvP-R
AvP
Resurrection

CrespiChickenStrips

CrespiChickenStrips

Based purely on my personal enjoyment of the films and how rewatchable they are, I'd rank them -
Alien 3
Aliens / Alien (tie, depends on what mood I'm in)
Alien: Covenant
and then a sharp decline in quality to -
AVP
Prometheus
AVPR
Alien: Resurrection

Hudson

Hudson

I am not happy with Ridley Scott right now. Just got back from this movie and I can't believe how many people have liked it so far. I found the only improvement over Prometheus worth discussing (at this moment, obviously I need to see it again...eventually) to be the fact that Goldsmith's original score was quoted throughout.

There's so much for me to say I don't even know where to start. All I was hoping for was that it would be better than Alien Resurrection. I'm not even convinced it's better than Prometheus.

Fire Marshall Bill

Quote from: Hudson on May 19, 2017, 10:29:27 PM
I am not happy with Ridley Scott right now. Just got back from this movie and I can't believe how many people have liked it so far. I found the only improvement over Prometheus worth discussing (at this moment, obviously I need to see it again...eventually) to be the fact that Goldsmith's original score was quoted throughout.

There's so much for me to say I don't even know where to start. All I was hoping for was that it would be better than Alien Resurrection. I'm not even convinced it's better than Prometheus.
Man anybody who truthfully thinks resurrection is better than covenant must smoke bath salts

Spidey3121

Spidey3121

Quote from: Fire Marshall Bill on May 19, 2017, 10:37:23 PM

Man anybody who truthfully thinks resurrection is better than covenant must smoke bath salts

Not nearly as much bath salts as the person who proclaimed it the best of the franchise a couple posts back.

Hudson

Hudson

Quote from: Fire Marshall Bill on May 19, 2017, 10:37:23 PM

I would rather take bath salts before watching it again than revisiting it sober. Maybe it would make some sense. Thanks though.

salomonj

salomonj

Quote from: echobbase79 on May 19, 2017, 10:04:22 PM
I just got back from seeing it and I enjoyed the film overall. It might the best sequel since Alien 3, but still can't touch the first two. I'm not sure if it's better than the third film quite yet? I think I need to see it again to make a final decision.

Michael Fassbender stole the show as Walter/David. I can't decide which droid performance I enjoyed better? Honestly, I didn't know if I'd care about Walter, but his scenes with Daniels were some of the best in the movie. David's God complex was certainly both sympathetic and disturbing. I know a lot of people had a problem with him communicating with the Neomorph, but I found that to be one of the character's more interesting moments. I also didn't have a problem with him being the (re)creator. I was on the fence about it, but when I saw how the film presented it, I liked it. One thing I didn't understand was where he got the eggs from?

Waterson made a believable heroine that didn't feel like a Ripley clone at all. She brought a real vulnerability to the role, especially in the early moments when she lost Branson. I wish they would've had some more James Franco in this. Why waste the talents of such a good actor?

Then there was Danny Mcbride and Billy Crudup who also turned in very good performances. I wish they would've had more of Mcbride too. Maybe in the next one they will.

The best scenes in the movie were the slaughter in the Medbay (backburster & throatbuster were both sick) and the wheat field attack. The movie never topped these moments, but I don't know how it could've? The Oram chestburster scene was good, but way to fast. I did like his final line to David, "What do you believe in?" The Alien fight on top of the drop ship was pretty good, but nothing special. Surprisingly, most of the CGI was very good with some shots looking like practical effects. Also, this film had the best score since Alien 3. I loved when the 'spores track' kicked in when Ledward began creating smoke rings.

The movie had me hook, line, and sinker up until the end.

Like other people have mentioned before me, the ending feels very tacked on. While I enjoyed the content, it felt so lifeless. I honestly wished they would've focused more on the Neomorphs. They were so much more interesting here. Also, what the hell happened to the second one? There were two right? I was pretty sure that the one escaped the ship before it exploded? I think it would've been better to have it on the ship at the end instead of the classic Xeno. The ending was the most frustrating part for me. I don't see how Lope get impregnated? That facehugger was on his face for like five seconds. I didn't buy that at all.

But the biggest problem I had with the film was how Shaw was just thrown into the film like a slaughtered piece of meat! Literally! That was bullshit, right there. I was more accepting of not knowing how she died at all instead of seeing her rotting corpse lying on a table.  ::) I really liked Shaw and I thought the character deserved more respect than this.

Also, the destruction of the Engineer home planet was also over way to fast. While visually creepy and gross, it really didn't leave much of an impression on me. This movie really needed to take a breath in some scenes, especially the end.

But even though I saw the twist coming a mile away, I still enjoyed it. The film definitely ends on a down note that I found refreshing. 

I was going to give the film a 7.5, but after thinking about it for awhile, I'm going to give it a 7. I enjoyed it, but there were some problems. Mainly the ending.

My ranking:

Alien
Aliens
Alien 3
Covenant
Prometheus
AvP- R
AvP
Resurrection

You brought up a complaint that I forgot to mention. I wanted more McBride! Hopefully we'll see more of him in the next installment.

Speaking of which, will McBride, David and Daniels be the leads for the next one? I really hope we get to see Daniels and McBride trying to escape from David.

echobbase79

echobbase79

Daniels and McBride might be dead with how this movie ended.

BishopShouldGo

BishopShouldGo

I can't believe I'm saying this but I think I enjoyed Crudup more than Fassbender.

And does anyone else think Covenant's sequel will have nothing to do with the colonists or the Covenant, with David as yet again the only strong thread?

Richman678

Richman678

lol I don't think waterson or McBride will survive in between movies

echobbase79

echobbase79

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on May 19, 2017, 10:59:20 PM
I can't believe I'm saying this but I think I enjoyed Crudup more than Fassbender.

And does anyone else think Covenant's sequel will have nothing to do with the colonists or the Covenant, with David as yet again the only strong thread?

It might. I mean that's what Ridley did here with the backstory of Prometheus.

salomonj

salomonj

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on May 19, 2017, 10:59:20 PM

I enjoyed Crudup a lot as well. He gave a great performance.

Engineer

Engineer

I just saw covenant...

Quick question. There were rumors of a direct tie to Ripley, but I didn't catch it. Was it just a rumor after all? I certainly hope so!

And as for what I thought. The movie has merits, but there was more I found to be a let down than a pick up. My rating:

1) alien/aliens
2) alien 3
3) resurrection/covenant
4) Prometheus

I don't count the AVP films.

My biggest issue, from the photography standpoint, was the pacing of the film. :-/

Alionic

Alionic

I loved this film.

I enjoyed how it opened. I could never tire of watching Guy Pierce as Peter Weyland ever since he first appeared as such in that TED 2023 clip back in 2012.

The neomorphs stole the show here. The backburster, throatburster, and wheat field fight were all suspenseful and intriguing as f**k. David's attempt at communicating with the adult one worked out better than I thought it would.

Speaking of David, he's easily the anchor of this series thanks to the incredible and unique portrayal given to him by Fassbender. Playing the flute, executing the engineers en masse, and the twist at the end all deserve mentions.

I really enjoyed how Ridley Scott retained the philosophical and thematic elements from Prometheus. I was worried that some obnoxious fans were going to convince him not to. It really adds another much needed dimension to this series. I never understood the people who want a copy of Alien and Aliens.

Overall, my ranking goes:

Alien
Aliens / Alien Covenant
Prometheus
Alien 3 Assembly
Alien Resurrection
AVPR
AVP

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed