Could have been better. (2/5)
60 (13.1%)
Didn't like it. (1/5)
32 (7%)
Hated it! (0/5)
30 (6.6%)

Total Members Voted: 456

Author
Alien Covenant Fan Reviews (Read 277,694 times)

Snake

Snake

Quote from: Nostromo on May 19, 2017, 03:13:32 PM
Quote from: Mostly on May 18, 2017, 11:49:42 PM
Long time forum lurker here. Just watched the damn movie.

My capsule review is: 4/10. Utter crap.

My actual review: I am a total fan of the franchise (1,2,3) since I was kid. I even liked Prometheus to some extent. Reading the forums before watching the movie certainly didn't help...but still... There was no tension whatsoever, no scare jumps, no atmosphere, nothing. At least Prometheus had that sinister tone all over it. The visuals were great, but still not better than Prometheus. The creature's CGI was laughable. The story was falling apart after 60min in. A lot of cringeworthy moments...like David kissing walter after teaching him how to play the flute.

- laughable CGI of the creatures, especially the birth of the neomorph
- fast and furious type of action with cables and everything
- no tension, buildup, there were even no scare jumps
- mini alien raising hands
- androids kissing
- flute lessons
- everything that happened in the dome is total borefest.
- ultra messy third act
- xeno view
- the hunting and killing of the xeno is boring and predictable
- ditching all the questions that were left open from Prometheus

I can't think of any positive thing. Maybe David explaining how Walter can't create (the flute I know...)

Where Ridley wanted to go with this? It's half disabled Prometheus sequel with a few CGI xeno disasters thrown in.

Seems like Ridley lost his balls and creative mojo a long time ago.

BTW.. I'm not a hater. I love the franchise to death, but this movie is a total abomination. The worst part is that movies like this and AVP are shitting on the entire franchise...

To make an Alien movie you need:

- a scary dark planet
- scary dark corridors
- a terrified not so dumb crew with an android
- facehuggers that two persons can barely remove from somebody's face
- a practical big chap that lurks in the dark
- a pinch of unexplained misterious gigersque entities.

Wow, everything you said from A to Z is exactly how I see it too. I gave the review an 8/10 on IMDB to help out the ratings there, but I'd give it an 6.5 or 7 tops out of 10.

David kissing Walter was obviously meant to be some sort of kiss of death, think of Judas when he kissed Jesus. I thought it was brilliant.

P1NK8C1DBOOTS

P1NK8C1DBOOTS

I left the cinema with mixed feelings about it!

The first half I loved...the pacing was brilliant...the suspense....but what the actual f**k happened towards the end?! Does Ridley Scott even remember anything about the Alien and it's life cycle! I just feel very annoyed with it! A 5 minute chestburster?! Seriously?! A fully grown alien in minutes?! I did think the graphics were great....and the alien did look amazing!

I am hoping it was heavily cut and when the blu ray comes it will put the footage back to help with the timing! 

I also feel a little cheated with Shaw....controversial I know but I actually liked her....and what was the point of her filming stuff for it not to be in the film.....I saw the crossing prolouge and got all geared up for her to be in the film! I'm sure there is plenty more footage out there to come with her in it....

Overall it's an Alien film.....I love this franchise....and for the most part I did enjoy it! I just hope the blu ray helps fix the last 3rd act!

P's....f**k David!

Oh and on a side note.....why was Walter called Walter....it didn't follow the pattern off Ash... Bishop.... Call ....David....and then Walter?! Just a little big bear!

cucuchu

cucuchu

Quote from: Snake on May 19, 2017, 03:44:24 PM
Quote from: Nostromo on May 19, 2017, 03:13:32 PM
Quote from: Mostly on May 18, 2017, 11:49:42 PM
Long time forum lurker here. Just watched the damn movie.

My capsule review is: 4/10. Utter crap.

My actual review: I am a total fan of the franchise (1,2,3) since I was kid. I even liked Prometheus to some extent. Reading the forums before watching the movie certainly didn't help...but still... There was no tension whatsoever, no scare jumps, no atmosphere, nothing. At least Prometheus had that sinister tone all over it. The visuals were great, but still not better than Prometheus. The creature's CGI was laughable. The story was falling apart after 60min in. A lot of cringeworthy moments...like David kissing walter after teaching him how to play the flute.

- laughable CGI of the creatures, especially the birth of the neomorph
- fast and furious type of action with cables and everything
- no tension, buildup, there were even no scare jumps
- mini alien raising hands
- androids kissing
- flute lessons
- everything that happened in the dome is total borefest.
- ultra messy third act
- xeno view
- the hunting and killing of the xeno is boring and predictable
- ditching all the questions that were left open from Prometheus

I can't think of any positive thing. Maybe David explaining how Walter can't create (the flute I know...)

Where Ridley wanted to go with this? It's half disabled Prometheus sequel with a few CGI xeno disasters thrown in.

Seems like Ridley lost his balls and creative mojo a long time ago.

BTW.. I'm not a hater. I love the franchise to death, but this movie is a total abomination. The worst part is that movies like this and AVP are shitting on the entire franchise...

To make an Alien movie you need:

- a scary dark planet
- scary dark corridors
- a terrified not so dumb crew with an android
- facehuggers that two persons can barely remove from somebody's face
- a practical big chap that lurks in the dark
- a pinch of unexplained misterious gigersque entities.

Wow, everything you said from A to Z is exactly how I see it too. I gave the review an 8/10 on IMDB to help out the ratings there, but I'd give it an 6.5 or 7 tops out of 10.

David kissing Walter was obviously meant to be some sort of kiss of death, think of Judas when he kissed Jesus. I thought it was brilliant.

Yes! Walter's complete non-reaction and obvious confusion added to that. This coming after Walter corrects David, telling him that that very poem that he has been repeating to himself all these years in isolation, the very poem he draws inspiration from, he has been wrong about the author the entire time. A self-aware robot that is concious of making a mistake while at the same time developing a god-complex. Like Walter said: "If one note of the symphony is off, the entire symphony has gone to pot" (paraphrasing, forgot his exact line). Brilliant imo

Gash

Gash

Quote from: P1NK8C1DBOOTS on May 19, 2017, 03:49:15 PM

Oh and on a side note.....why was Walter called Walter....it didn't follow the pattern off Ash... Bishop.... Call ....David....and then Walter?! Just a little big bear!

David (Giler)  Walter (Hill)

Foxtrot94

Foxtrot94

I thought it was pretty derivative and even though I overall enjoyed it, I can't say it's amazing at all and it's not the direction I wanted Scott to take. I wanted to see more of the Engineers and actually continue the theme of "meeting the creators" Prometheus set up, and flesh it out.

I don't find Xenomorphs compelling anymore, the Alien has run its course. It was scary back in the days, now if you treat it like we're not supposed to know what it is and what it's capable of, your movie is gonna feel like more of the same somewhat. At least as far as I'm concerned. That's why I wanted to see more of the Engineers and their society. But after Scott distancing himself from the Alien theme with Prometheus, we get this. I don't think he knows what he wants to do tbh. That said, Fassbender and his characters and the cinematography kinda saved the movie for me, which, as I said, I overall enjoyed. But I ain't that thrilled for the future of the franchise.

salomonj

salomonj

Well, saw it last night and I enjoyed the shit out of it.

The ending of the film is epic, disturbing, sinister etc... I absolutely loved that last 5 minutes of Daniels finding out that Walter was David. The ending scene in particular where David has that one song played (entrance of the gods) as he walks into the embryo room and places the face huggers embryos with the human. It was so class.

I loved the cast. I think my favorite performance (aside from Michael Fassbinder's chilling Oscar worthy performance) was actually Oram. Such a interesting character and the acting was superb.

The visuals of course were amazing, absolutely incredible.

The backburster, grass attack, entire second act (which I found fascinating), escape from the planet (that action scene with Daniels was so so good) and the ending were all done very very well.

I think the movie needed an extra 20 minutes to explain and go into depth of how David created the Xeno eggs and everything. Hopefully Alien Awakening will address this.

Overall, I loved the movie. It was well done sci fi, a great horror and just so much damn fun.

8.5-9/10

episodenone

episodenone

I gave it a "It was okay"

It is a rather easy movie to find faults in and be critical of. Of varying degrees.

If this was the very first film in this saga -- I think I might have loved it.  But as a chapter in the mythos of Alien -- and that, for me, is a huge piece of the pie for my enjoyment -- it just didn't fit for me.

I enjoyed the movie -- but I prefer the mystery of Prometheus and wish there wasn't such an extreme snap back from one film to the other.

Alien --> Not enough Alien --> Random Alien  just isn't fluid / connected enough.

I don't have any interest in reading a book or a comic for further exposition - unlike Star Wars, where I absolutely would and do.

Net Net - Covenant is a nice film but "Lucy you got some 'splainin' to do" and I don't imagine we'll ever get to that.

Oh well -- I look forward to seeing it in 3D on my couch and digesting it more -- over time -- and I'll definitely be going to the pre/se quels as long as they keep making them.

I think Shaw was sorely missed from this film.  If throwing Oren's lines about "faith" in were supposed to make up for the religious aspect - it didn't work.

As an agnostic/atheist -- I LOVED that apparently religion is mocked and discriminated against on Earth and a reason to actually NOT give a commanding job to someone.

But not getting to be a part of Shaw's seeing the whatever these new Engineers are and watching her story unfold -- and instead seeing a shot so quickly that showed her body that I actually missed it and guessed what it was based on audience reaction -- meh.

Her character would have been the perfect philosophical point/counterpoint and added so much context to all of David's development -- instead we got Crudup acting completely silly and making some comment about "meeting the devil"?  Huh?  Was he in the jungle with Dutch???   ::)

I have no clue how David tamed the Aliens -- by blowing up a nose that didn't exist? By showing no fear? By sitting on a ledge while it was born?  By shooting a flare gun?

Is the black goo-mist alive or something sentient?  Is that really what the world looks like through Alien eyes?  So baffling that I ended up not really caring -- just waiting for the next scene.

BishopShouldGo

BishopShouldGo

7/10. Not as good as Alien, Aliens or Prometheus but easily just as gorgeous as Prometheus.

Didn't like the way the Engineers or Shaw were dealt with. Didn't like the obvious David twist, wish they could've dealt with that better.

Dude, I felt nothing while watching this movie. Where. On. Earth. Was. The. SUSPENSE?! If you can't give us that then at least give us mystery and intrigue. The David dialogue could've used a smart touch up. It was too literal. It could've used the Lindelof touch. I felt nothing during Oram's death.

It felt like Ridley going through the motions but nonetheless I managed to enjoy it. Even the AvPR-like deaths, especially Ricks'.

0321recon

0321recon

Quote from: Snake on May 19, 2017, 03:44:24 PM

Agreed.

Alien³

Alien³

Just got back from my 3rd (and probably final) viewing.

My opinion still stands: Loved every minute!

The acting, music, effects, etc are all top notch in my books. Any grief I have comes from certain use of the handheld camera in the escape sequence from the planet.

Ridley has added a hauntingly beautiful chapter into the Alien mythos. The creatures are highly charged and super deadly and I love these versions as much as any iteration seen before.
Spoiler
Aside from the god-awful AVP & A:R versions
[close]

I found the original Alien movie scary because it dealt with an unknown monster in the dark and I believe for first time viewers it'll always uphold that fear. But for myself Alien has all but lost that fear factor, its now a source of inspiration and I still think its a masterful work of horror; as most would agree I suspect.

I was somewhat dubious when going to see Covenant, thinking 'will the film actually scare me, like Alien used to?' and I was surprised by how much I was feeling that original fear, it really got under my skin! However it wasn't the xenomorphs or neomorphs, although I felt great tension during the sequences with those creatures...no...

...it was David.

His character brought that fear to the surface for me. His ponderings of mortality and his unwavering pursuit to create these abominations was more than enough to keep me awake at night. His poetic nature gives him an uneasy presence whenever he's on screen and although many (myself included) could see the switch up with him and Walter coming, I couldn't help but watch as the nightmare unfolded!

Watching Prometheus has becomes even more intriguing and in my humble opinion David's character is now up there as one of the greatest movie villains of all time. Allow me to elaborate...

• In the opening of Covenant we learn that David is concerned with the concept that his creator (Weyland) will die yet he will not. However Weyland still orders him about, asking for tea. Also in this scene Weyland calls him his son.

• In Prometheus we see Weyland openly expressing to the crew that David will have no soul, yet he IS "the closest thing he'll ever have to son". Weyland obviously resents David for becoming self aware about the morality of his creator.

• When David sees the head of the Engineer (the creator of his creators) explode his first words are "Mortal after all." Now aware that even Weyland's creators are not as superior as him. This is echoed further in the line from David in Covenant where he is talking about Ape's learning to stand.

• It's established in Prometheus that David is loyal to Weyland because he is programmed to, yet he longs to be free...
Shaw: "What happens when Weyland is not around to program you anymore?"
David: "I suppose I'll be free."
Shaw: "You want that?"
David: "Want? Not a concept I'm familiar with. That being said, doesn't everyone want their parents dead?"

As we discover in Covenant David WANTS to create but at this time he can't because Weyland has him on a leash. He feels resentment to all his creators, believing them to be far inferior than himself. And when he finds himself with the Engineers pathogen at his disposal he uses it to explore his creative mind, using humans and the Engineers as experiments.

Thus in his mad creations he builds the "perfect organism".

His character is such an interesting entity in this franchise and I'm sure whatever is on the slate for the next chapter will broaden this character study further.

Alien: Covenant is not a perfect movie but it sure has put this franchise on a path I cannot get enough of!

Bring on that Blu-ray!

Spidey3121

Spidey3121

Alien Covenant certainly has the wheels spinning, so I have to at least give it credit for that. Ultimately though, while I thought it was good, I also didn't come away liking it as much as I expected to. Or maybe as much as I wanted to? Perhaps my expectations were too high for what is either the 6th, or 8th, entry in the franchise. I admit that I was all aboard the hype train. It did about as well as it could have from a critical perspective given the genre of film & considering how divisive Prometheus was. If a critic disliked Covenant b/c of it's connections to Prometheus, I simply ignored it, given that I like Prometheus. In fact, I really like Prometheus. Covenant, therefore, should have been a surefire win in my eyes, though sadly that wasn't the case.

Covenant feels trapped between being a true follow-up to Prometheus & a straight forward Alien film. What I enjoyed about Prometheus is that, while it takes place within the same universe & prior to Alien, it's not a true prequel. It plays in the same sandbox but it forged its own path. It asked big questions. The level of ambition was huge, and while the execution didn't always match up, it still resulted in what I believe to be a very good sci-fi movie. We already had 4 Alien movies & 2 AVP movies; I wanted something new & it delivered. I was looking forward to a true follow-up; to Paradise.

Scott has certainly seemed to imply that the reaction to Prometheus helped dictate the course for Covenant. That's too bad. FOX certainly wanted to play-up the Alien elements of the film. Hell, it's right in the title. I dare say not a single piece of mainstream promotion, outside of online prologues, made any reference to the events of Prometheus. Okay, so they showed Shaw's dog tag - big deal. For general audiences that skipped over it & came for the advertised Alien film, I imagine they'll be doing a whole lot of head scratching. Even if this film was intended to bridge the gap between the two, it feels like two different films more than it does one coherent one.

Something that's bothered me recently in big budget films, whether they be prequels or sequels, is mere redundancy. I maintain the relatively unpopular opinion that The Force Awakens is simply okay. A good friend, whom with I saw Covenant last night, downright hates The Force Awakens. Why? It simply borrowed & reused existing plot elements from previous Star Wars films. I had similar issues with Jurassic World, but will admit it has more of an excuse. If the dinosaurs don't escape, you don't have a movie. The barebones plot of any Alien film is bound to be similar. Humans will encounter an alien, or aliens, & said alien(s) will start killing them until it's eventual demise via airlock. Of course, each film gave it their own spin, for better or worse. Even Alien Resurrection, the worst the franchise has to offer, posits new ideas.

Covenant more or less reuses the plot of Alien. The crew is awoken from hypersleep, not because of a transmission, but they don't waste any time coming across one. Also, why does the Covenant have a communications buffer? And although not worthy of critique, why do humans 100 years in the future still listen to John Denver? I also wonder the same as several crew members: how is it that this planet didn't present itself to them prior to this colonization mission? Either way, this whole mishap could have been avoided, but since this crew seems pretty non-committal to their duties onboard, they decide to visit instead of forging onwards. Goodness, I'm getting carried away. The general gist however is: crew responds to transmission, crew becomes infected with Alien, Alien finds way onboard spacecraft, Alien is jettisoned into space. Rinse & repeat.

I also am taken back by how cavalierly this film wipes out the Engineers, via. f'n flashback no less. After devoting an entire film to meeting our maker, David takes it upon himself to nuke their presumed home world. I have to believe that other Engineers are traveling to cosmos, lest we have some real continuity issues with the original Alien. David really is one big continuity error. As interesting a character as he is & as fascinating as his time spent with Walter was, I question the decision to credit him the creation of the Xenomorph. The events of this film contradict the derelict ship in the original Alien.

I'm not even entirely convinced this film needs a Xenomorph other than for brand recognition. The Xeno, as presented in Covenant, is just as scary as in Alien Resurrection, which is to say not scary at all. The Neomorphs on the other hand were badass. This movie peaked, in my own opinion of course, during the ~15 minutes between touching down & being "rescued" by David. The entire backbuster sequence was truly excellent. Still, I don't reckon that it, nor any other part of the movie, matched the horror of the cesarean scene in Prometheus.

Covenant alternates between being an ultra heady sequel to Prometheus and a straight-up horror film. A horror him that uses the worst of the genre's tropes I might add. Did a single person that broke away from the group ever come away unscathed? Regardless, there are aspects of each that I liked, but I can't say they outnumbered the aspects that I took issue with. My biggest gripe of them all has to be the twist ending that it was David, not Walter, that returned to the ship. I use the term  twist very liberally. I mean, we all saw it coming, right? Maybe, just maybe, a character in the film would take him & his missing hand at face value, but from the audience's perspective it was entirely obvious. I do wonder why he allowed Daniels & Tennessee to defeat the Xeno, although I suppose the end result is the same. David now has a vessel of colonists at his disposal to play god with.

Arguments about the Space Jockey aside, the events of Prometheus didn't disrupt anything we had seen in Alien or it's sequels. The same cannot be said for Covenant. Prior to Prometheus, I didn't want a prequel akin to what Rogue One eventually gave us; a movie that ends immediately prior to the beginning of the original. I didn't want to see the derelict ship crash on LV-426, but after seeing Covenant I'm doubling back on that desire. If we get a sequel to Covenant, an Alien Awakening if you will, it better bend over backwards to make the appropriate threads meet.

If all of this sounds like I'm being harsh on Alien Covenant, I am. I love this franchise & I want to be able to expect the best from it. I did enjoy this movie, but there were too many missteps to ignore. Perhaps my opinions will alter upon a 2nd viewing with tempered expectations, but as of right now, I must say that I'm at least mildly disappointed.

Alien Covenant: 2.5 out of 4 stars

Ranking:
Alien
Aliens
Alien 3 Assembly Cut
Prometheus
Alien Covenant
Alien vs. Predator
Alien Resurrection
AVP Requiem

jdxmoore

jdxmoore

Quote from: Alien³ on May 19, 2017, 08:32:44 PM
Just got back from my 3rd (and probably final) viewing.

My opinion still stands: Loved every minute!

The acting, music, effects, etc are all top notch in my books. Any grief I have comes from certain use of the handheld camera in the escape sequence from the planet.

Ridley has added a hauntingly beautiful chapter into the Alien mythos. The creatures are highly charged and super deadly and I love these versions as much as any iteration seen before.
Spoiler
Aside from the god-awful AVP & A:R versions
[close]

I found the original Alien movie scary because it dealt with an unknown monster in the dark and I believe for first time viewers it'll always uphold that fear. But for myself Alien has all but lost that fear factor, its now a source of inspiration and I still think its a masterful work of horror; as most would agree I suspect.

I was somewhat dubious when going to see Covenant, thinking 'will the film actually scare me, like Alien used to?' and I was surprised by how much I was feeling that original fear, it really got under my skin! However it wasn't the xenomorphs or neomorphs, although I felt great tension during the sequences with those creatures...no...

...it was David.

His character brought that fear to the surface for me. His ponderings of mortality and his unwavering pursuit to create these abominations was more than enough to keep me awake at night. His poetic nature gives him an uneasy presence whenever he's on screen and although many (myself included) could see the switch up with him and Walter coming, I couldn't help but watch as the nightmare unfolded!

Watching Prometheus has becomes even more intriguing and in my humble opinion David's character is now up there as one of the greatest movie villains of all time. Allow me to elaborate...

• In the opening of Covenant we learn that David is concerned with the concept that his creator (Weyland) will die yet he will not. However Weyland still orders him about, asking for tea. Also in this scene Weyland calls him his son.

• In Prometheus we see Weyland openly expressing to the crew that David will have no soul, yet he IS "the closest thing he'll ever have to son". Weyland obviously resents David for becoming self aware about the morality of his creator.

• When David sees the head of the Engineer (the creator of his creators) explode his first words are "Mortal after all." Now aware that even Weyland's creators are not as superior as him. This is echoed further in the line from David in Covenant where he is talking about Ape's learning to stand.

• It's established in Prometheus that David is loyal to Weyland because he is programmed to, yet he longs to be free...
Shaw: "What happens when Weyland is not around to program you anymore?"
David: "I suppose I'll be free."
Shaw: "You want that?"
David: "Want? Not a concept I'm familiar with. That being said, doesn't everyone want their parents dead?"

As we discover in Covenant David WANTS to create but at this time he can't because Weyland has him on a leash. He feels resentment to all his creators, believing them to be far inferior than himself. And when he finds himself with the Engineers pathogen at his disposal he uses it to explore his creative mind, using humans and the Engineers as experiments.

Thus in his mad creations he builds the "perfect organism".

His character is such an interesting entity in this franchise and I'm sure whatever is on the slate for the next chapter will broaden this character study further.

Alien: Covenant is not a perfect movie but it sure has put this franchise on a path I cannot get enough of!

Bring on that Blu-ray!

I concur with your views here.  For me the film was excellent and they've done a wonderful job of developing the character of David.  Going for my second viewing tomorrow!

Darth Vile

Darth Vile

I recommend that everyone here watch it twice...

Aquarius8

Aquarius8

I think the whole point of the David 8 twist and expanding his role in the franchise is Ridley giving us the origin story of how Wayland became so obsessed with weaponizing the Alien Specimen.  It also highlights both Ash and Bishop motivations in future films.  Also I don't believe all the engineers are dead.  I think there are still some out there.  Anyways, "Covenant" has given a lot more story room to go before the original "Alien" than I expected. 

Snake

Snake

Just back from my second viewing, but this time went to see it in IMAX... Holy sh*t, that was intense! I'm calling it: this is the best Alien-movie ever! Although I love Ripley and have fond memories of the original film, Covenant outdoes it in every single way! I'm so glad Ridley came to his senses and ditched the whole engineer-theme for now. Man, this movie totally kicks ass! It made me feel so humble and fragile as a human being...I'm lost for words to be honest. In all fairness, this movie deserves a lot better than what some us give it credit for. Can't wait for the sequel! Go for it Ridley! You ROCK!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed