Could have been better. (2/5)
60 (13.1%)
Didn't like it. (1/5)
32 (7%)
Hated it! (0/5)
30 (6.6%)

Total Members Voted: 456

Author
Alien Covenant Fan Reviews (Read 276,919 times)

szkoki

szkoki

Why David turned to a maniac psycho killer after all? That prologue doesnt add up with Prometheus as there were no traces of this behavior. Was he waiting for Weylands death to be free?

He was so much different to Prometheus David. Nothing complex.

Walter was far more intresting and i would loved a twist where Walter turns evil.

Jonesy1974

Jonesy1974

Quote from: HuDaFuK on May 19, 2017, 09:15:35 AM
Quote from: Snake on May 18, 2017, 10:17:23 PMLife ripped off Alien

Doesn't mean it can't be a more enjoyable, cohesive movie.

Alien ripped off Forbidden Planet.

Life is ok, totally forgettable and bland but ok. The only reason people preferred it is because it didn't have the burden of expectation that Covenant had.

If Covenant was just a sci-fi Alien rip off like Life is rather than part of the actual franchise, people would definitely say its a better movie than life, because it clearly is.

I believe Covenant will be viewed as a great movie in years to come once the dust has settled.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Jonesy1974 on May 19, 2017, 10:14:56 AMIf Covenant was just a sci-fi Alien rip off like Life is rather than part of the actual franchise, people would definitely say its a better movie than life, because it clearly is.

Debatable. Life was a lot more tense and scary than Covenant. The pacing was also better. And it set up its shock first death much better because the victim was actually a main character who had appeared on-screen beforehand, rather than just being a famous actor you struggle to identify until after he's dead.

Life did a lot of things better than Covenant. I agree it had the advantage of no prior baggage but even so I think it was better crafted in some ways.

cucuchu

cucuchu

Quote from: szkoki on May 19, 2017, 09:41:58 AM
Why David turned to a maniac psycho killer after all? That prologue doesnt add up with Prometheus as there were no traces of this behavior. Was he waiting for Weylands death to be free?

Walter was far more intresting and i would loved a twist where Walter turns evil.

It was explained somewhat in the movie and much of it is meant to be figured out via the many clues within the film. I will give you one: David incorrectly names the poem author, as brought up by Walter. Why would an android be wrong about this? How is that even possible? Its there for you to figure out among other clues too.

Stolen

Stolen

The creature in Life is really nice but the rest, zzzzzzzz
A terrific mixture of Alien and Gravity, generic to the possible and with absolutely no idea or thematic developed.
I don't talk about the characters, without interest, and sometimes stupid too!
Too bad because the first sequence with the creature (and main character) is excellent.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Stolen on May 19, 2017, 10:34:44 AMA terrific mixture of Alien and Gravity, generic to the possible and with absolutely no idea or thematic developed.

The portrayal of the Alien in Covenant was pretty generic.

Quote from: Stolen on May 19, 2017, 10:34:44 AMI don't talk about the characters, without interest, and sometimes stupid too!

Not sure which film you're referring to here, because that definitely applied to some of the characters in Covenant too.

Jonesy1974

Jonesy1974

Quote from: HuDaFuK on May 19, 2017, 10:28:39 AM
Quote from: Jonesy1974 on May 19, 2017, 10:14:56 AMIf Covenant was just a sci-fi Alien rip off like Life is rather than part of the actual franchise, people would definitely say its a better movie than life, because it clearly is.

Debatable. Life was a lot more tense and scary than Covenant. The pacing was also better. And it set up its shock first death much better because the victim was actually a main character who had appeared on-screen beforehand, rather than just being a famous actor you struggle to identify until after he's dead.

Life did a lot of things better than Covenant. I agree it had the advantage of no prior baggage but even so I think it was better crafted in some ways.

I didn't find that a shock, I called it as soon as he entered the room. For me it screamed, big name actor dies early shock horror!

Every beat of the movie was predictable for me and I didn't really like the pacing either, the last 30 mins or so I was actually checking my watch.

Don't get me wrong I did enjoy it but in a disposable watch and forget way. I couldn't debate anything about it because it just wasn't interesting enough to do so IMO. At least everyone is talking about Covenant!

Quote from: cucuchu on May 19, 2017, 10:33:00 AM
Quote from: szkoki on May 19, 2017, 09:41:58 AM

It was explained somewhat in the movie and much of it is meant to be figured out via the many clues within the film. I will give you one: David incorrectly names the poem author, as brought up by Walter. Why would an android be wrong about this? How is that even possible? Its there for you to figure out among other clues too.

Yes that was a key, important moment for me. I'm not totally sure what it means though Lol.

Stolen

Stolen

The Alien part is the least interesting part of the film! But the rest is superb, we don't often see such sets or visuals in theaters nowadays!

Yes there are stupid actions in Covenant, but not as much as in Life in my opinion. David is a pretty amazing character, Walter very interesting, I love Oram!

In Life, we have no character that stands out, no development, no idea, it's just a monster behind closed doors. Just my tought! I need more. Covenant is flawed but there is a lot of material to analyze, and I prefer that!

Jonesy1974

Jonesy1974

Quote from: Stolen on May 19, 2017, 10:48:43 AM
The Alien part is the least interesting part of the film! But the rest is superb, we don't often see such sets or visuals in theaters nowadays!

Yes there are stupid actions in Covenant, but not as much as in Life in my opinion. David is a pretty amazing character, Walter very interesting, I love Oram!

In Life, we have no character that stands out, no development, no idea, it's just a monster behind closed doors. Just my tought! I need more. Covenant is flawed but there is a lot of material to analyze, and I prefer that!

Totally agree with everything you said

cucuchu

cucuchu

Quote from: Stolen on May 19, 2017, 10:48:43 AM

Agreed and actually the xenomorph being in the film as it was has a purpose. I will write up why later (will take some time) but essentially David has believed he created something perfect but you can see from his reactions that he is disappointed they were dispatched rather easily. He obviously knew they had to be dealt with so he could have all the colonists to himself but he had a look of disdain when they xenos perished. The camera really focused on his reactions.

He will be looking to perfect his creation in order to both 1) increase their survivability/increase their intelligence and 2) make them easier to control. I believe he will do this through some kind of biomechanical infusion....and it will turn against him.

DemonicD13

DemonicD13

Quote from: Snake on May 19, 2017, 08:20:53 AM
Quote from: Hennex Forest on May 19, 2017, 05:12:04 AM
I don't want anymore Alien movies from Ridley Scott, and this is coming from someone who likes Prometheus.

Covenant was so disappointing.

BECAUSE? Seriously people, back up your your damn opinion or shut the hell up. Covenant was a good movie, end of story. Stop trolling!

Why should all of us have to submit a two page report to say we didn't enjoy the film. I didn't like it, I shouldn't have to write an essay about it.

Here, you want one reason? This is one. The Scooby-Doo "Walter is really David" twist had me groaning in my seat the moment he stepped out of the temple.

CrespiChickenStrips

CrespiChickenStrips

Random thoughts the morning after my first viewing -
I thought the justification as to why this crew would investigate a rogue transmission was well handled ie - habitable planet closer than Origae, recent death in the sleep pods, etc.

I AM WILLING to look past it, but all the misfortune the Covenant crew experiences could have been avoided if they had taken basic precautions and used helmets/suits on this uncharted Alien world, no matter how suitable to human life it is.

The growth of all the creatures in the film is a bit too accelerated for my tastes, I know we are talking sci-fi here but it just doesn't seem realistic or congruent to the rest of the series.

The dynamic between David and Walter is the real highlight and core of the film.  David's workshop is one of the most haunting visual setpieces in the entire series.  David's contempt for humanity is well explored, but I feel David's motivations for slaughtering the Engineers and murdering Shaw in the cruelest ways possible could have been much better elaborated upon.  He makes a grave, a garden, and a tribute song for Shaw as if he truly had affection for her.  So why experiment on her and defile her?

I never interpreted the "fingering/blowing" line with the flute as some sort of sexual innuendo/joke.  That's how a flute works.  I'm not sure why people are running with this.

Speaking of haunting setpieces, the bombing scene was gruesomely beautiful.  I loved seeing the weapon deployed on a massive scale and the havoc that wrought on the Engineer's biology.  You could see hybrid creatures ripping themselves from the husks of the Engineers.  "To create, one must first destroy" indeed.  Humans were obsolete creations to the Engineers, and this appears to be David's perception as well.

The Neomorph not attacking/killing David makes NO SENSE to me.  It's been established that the creatures of this series will kill Synthetics with Bishop being the obvious reference point.

I would have preferred the film to lean a bit more on practical effects and less on CGI for the creature work.  Despite this, the Neomorphs were handled very well and I like that they have the look of the "beluga" from the Prometheus concept art.  I could swear that when Oram was shooting it and it bared its jaws, it looked like the toothy mouth of the original concept art.

The shower scene is disappointing on many levels, primarily in character motivation and logic.  The crew have just survived a harrowing endeavor.  Surely there is something more natural this couple could have been doing when they get killed by the Xeno than blasting music and getting intimate.

The body language for the Alien was handled well all the way until the Terraforming Bay scene where it loped into the room like a dude taking his work break and going out for a smoke.

The Daved/Walter switcheroo was WAY too obviously Telegraphed.  One of them might as well have had a Spock mustache.  Daniels gives a number of sideways glances, insinuating she suspects something is awry.  Why wait until you are at your most compromised, in the sleep pod, to challenge that notion?

Final thoughts - despite any problems I have with the film, I quite enjoyed the experience and look forward to revisiting it soon.  The characters and their interactions felt much more natural and logical than in Prometheus and I can safely say that this is the superior film.  I would have liked to see some more resolution/closure from the unresolved threads from Prometheus.  It's clear that David is the focus of this prequel saga and the series benefits from the philosophical questions he poses.  It's also nice to have an antagonist that isn't just the faceless W-Y Corp. for once.  The first and second acts were full of mystery, dread, and moody setpieces.  The third act is a bit disappointing as it is quite derivative of the first Alien and somewhat rushed.  I'd rate Prometheus a 4/10 and Alien: Covenant a 7/10.

cucuchu

cucuchu

Quote from: DemonicD13 on May 19, 2017, 12:46:37 PM
Quote from: Snake on May 19, 2017, 08:20:53 AM
Quote from: Hennex Forest on May 19, 2017, 05:12:04 AM
I don't want anymore Alien movies from Ridley Scott, and this is coming from someone who likes Prometheus.

Covenant was so disappointing.

BECAUSE? Seriously people, back up your your damn opinion or shut the hell up. Covenant was a good movie, end of story. Stop trolling!

Why should all of us have to submit a two page report to say we didn't enjoy the film. I didn't like it, I shouldn't have to write an essay about it.

Here, you want one reason? This is one. The Scooby-Doo "Walter is really David" twist had me groaning in my seat the moment he stepped out of the temple.

It was not a twist in the traditional sense. The film gives plenty of obvious signs that it is David, but it leaves you guessing on where his motivations are in regards to the remaining crew and Xenos. He even looks disappointed as the Xenos are dispatched, even though you can tell he knows its necessary if he wants the Covenant and its passengers/embryos to himself. The surprise is intended to be from the perspective of Daniels.

gantarat

gantarat

It's obvious since michael fassbender play 2 charaters .

Nostromo

Nostromo

Quote from: Mostly on May 18, 2017, 11:49:42 PM
Long time forum lurker here. Just watched the damn movie.

My capsule review is: 4/10. Utter crap.

My actual review: I am a total fan of the franchise (1,2,3) since I was kid. I even liked Prometheus to some extent. Reading the forums before watching the movie certainly didn't help...but still... There was no tension whatsoever, no scare jumps, no atmosphere, nothing. At least Prometheus had that sinister tone all over it. The visuals were great, but still not better than Prometheus. The creature's CGI was laughable. The story was falling apart after 60min in. A lot of cringeworthy moments...like David kissing walter after teaching him how to play the flute.

- laughable CGI of the creatures, especially the birth of the neomorph
- fast and furious type of action with cables and everything
- no tension, buildup, there were even no scare jumps
- mini alien raising hands
- androids kissing
- flute lessons
- everything that happened in the dome is total borefest.
- ultra messy third act
- xeno view
- the hunting and killing of the xeno is boring and predictable
- ditching all the questions that were left open from Prometheus

I can't think of any positive thing. Maybe David explaining how Walter can't create (the flute I know...)

Where Ridley wanted to go with this? It's half disabled Prometheus sequel with a few CGI xeno disasters thrown in.

Seems like Ridley lost his balls and creative mojo a long time ago.

BTW.. I'm not a hater. I love the franchise to death, but this movie is a total abomination. The worst part is that movies like this and AVP are shitting on the entire franchise...

To make an Alien movie you need:

- a scary dark planet
- scary dark corridors
- a terrified not so dumb crew with an android
- facehuggers that two persons can barely remove from somebody's face
- a practical big chap that lurks in the dark
- a pinch of unexplained misterious gigersque entities.

Wow, everything you said from A to Z is exactly how I see it too. I gave the review an 8/10 on IMDB to help out the ratings there, but I'd give it an 6.5 or 7 tops out of 10.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed