Could have been better. (2/5)
60 (13.1%)
Didn't like it. (1/5)
32 (7%)
Hated it! (0/5)
30 (6.6%)

Total Members Voted: 456

Author
Alien Covenant Fan Reviews (Read 277,585 times)

John Doe

John Doe

Quote from: salomonj on May 17, 2017, 02:19:20 AM
Quote from: John Doe on May 17, 2017, 12:00:30 AM
I saw it for the third time, and now i really love it.

Not perfect, i need more Engineers, but for me it´s a great movie.
glad to hear it, but out of curiosity what changed? You were pretty outspoken that you thought it was a unholy abomination...

After first showing i liked it: 6 / 10.

After second showing, same problems: 6 /10.

But seeeing for the third time i didn´t need more of Shaw, now i like this first evolution of teh Xeno (i prefer a man on a suit or puppet, but now i apreciate this new beast), it´s strong, it´s fast, it´s a killer monster. I hope to see an evolution to the classical Giger Xeno.

I still think Noomi was a better choice than Katherine, but it´s ok.

I love the beginning with Peter Weyland and David (no music), i love the neo birth and specially i love Michael Fassbender as David/Walter. It´s a movie about him, about his desires, about creation and it has so many thinks to study after multiples views.

7´5 /10.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: John Doe on May 17, 2017, 09:43:14 AMI still think Noomi was a better choice than Katherine, but it´s ok.

Really? I far preferred Katherine as a leading lady. Noomi seemed to be hampered by the fact she was acting in a second language, it really hurt her performance at times.

Jonesy1974

Jonesy1974

Quote from: HuDaFuK on May 17, 2017, 09:45:07 AM
Quote from: John Doe on May 17, 2017, 09:43:14 AMI still think Noomi was a better choice than Katherine, but it´s ok.

Really? I far preferred Katherine as a leading lady. Noomi seemed to be hampered by the fact she was acting in a second language, it really hurt her performance at times.

I really, really didn't like Noomi in Prometheus but Katherine Waterston really sold it for me. However this does make me understand how some people felt about what they did to Shaw, I'll be gutted if they do the same thing to Daniels.

juxtapose

juxtapose

examining the poll it is interesting to see that 80 percent of us voted 3.5 stars and upwards. .so only 20 disliked it. .even better than the tomato meters 77 percent. .i hope this all translate's into a decent box office result!

Highland

Highland

Saw it tonight. Decent, but think I liked Prometheus slightly better. Have not read many reviews or forum threads but quickly

Liked -

The new Xeno ( as in the white one)
The first two thirds of the movie
David/Walter
New Burst Scenes

Didn't like -

Lack of tension build up, pay off was too quick
AVP pacing
Whole third act was garbage
Daniels inability to see what the entire audience was thinking despite clearly having doubts
Ending seemed kind of pointless.

6 out of 10.

Ilikegriping

Ilikegriping

I watched it for the second time earlier tonight and in the week since my first viewing I'm fairly sure they've removed the "you blow and I'll do the fingering" line that got such a laugh. Did I imagine that or has anyone else noticed the same thing?

Ingwar

Ingwar

Quote from: Ilikegriping on May 17, 2017, 08:02:28 PM
I watched it for the second time earlier tonight and in the week since my first viewing I'm fairly sure they've removed the "you blow and I'll do the fingering" line that got such a laugh. Did I imagine that or has anyone else noticed the same thing?

They haven't removed it. Why would they?

Enoch

Enoch

I've seen the movie. I will quote one IMDB user: "There's actually a great movie hiding in here. What brings it down is an extremely predictable structure." Well I myself think this movie was too short! Middle part and the ending in particular! Michael Fassbender really is great addition to the Alien universe (stellar performance)  but there are some worrisome inconsistencies and discrepancies regarding Covenants premise and its place in the whole Alien universe. Major questions are answered (in time many of those who claim opposite will find those answers). Is David the ultimate creator of Xenomorph as we know it from Alien, does lv 442 have something to do with David, does the story of Xenomorphs have deeper roots or everything begins with David? I dont think so and there are great hints. There is a lot of space for everything to make sense and to be in accordance with Alien plot.
I myself have some ideas how it could all fit very well, with a bit of imagination the next one could be really revelatory movie.

What I love about the movie:

DAVID!!! Brilliant performance and love the interactions of the two androids. Weird stuff.
I also loved all the philosophical aspects and all the literary references. (Again some
obvious mythologcal references)

Visuals are good (But Prometheus was better), many art references to be analysed.

Love the leads - Daniels and Tennesse against the Satan (David) in the next movie. Better characters and performances.
Love the ending scene with David and Das Rheingold ;D

Music!

Bad things: Too short middle and end part. Thats what happens when you need to make a movie you want and you know you cant because you dont have enough money. Those compromises you make will always cost you....

This movie was obviously not rushed, I would say it was comprimed. Ridley probably thought, lets give them what they want, that will make some serious money and I will have enough money for the next one. Then I will tell the whole story as I want it and end the shit in some weird manner or perthaps open some seriously feraky doors for many alien movies to come.

Dont like how they wanted to recycle Alien premise which is ultimately a core of Covenant.

My rating: 8  with a big minus

Ridley, you need to be bolder with the next one!

salomonj

salomonj

After the mouthburster, how long does the grass attack last?

Highland

Highland

Quote from: salomonj on May 18, 2017, 02:09:46 AM
After the mouthburster, how long does the grass attack last?

About 2 minutes, maybe not even that. That's generally one of the problems I had with the movie, there's a lot of potential for tense pant shitting scenes but ultimately they just move on after a scuffle to the next thing.

Ilikegriping

Ilikegriping

Quote from: Ingwar on May 17, 2017, 08:12:38 PM

They haven't removed it. Why would they?

A minor gripe about an otherwise great scene.

Space Invader

Space Invader

Loved it, 10/10. As good as the first Alien and Aliens.
Spoiler
Would've preferred a serpentine chestburster instead of a mini-alien, but that's not really a big deal. Was anyone else expecting the chestburster to do a little dance after raising it's arms, lol?

Still thinking that David recreated the Xenomorph using an ancient Engineer recipe (unless I missed it and it was mentioned in the movie?)
[close]
Anyways, great movie, great characters and I really liked the Neomorph and Xenomorph.

Robopadna

Robopadna

There is no way they would have done that.  If the scene made it in, it is in.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Yeah, I really don't think they'd alter the film mid-run. Between press screenings and release, or later on home video, sure, but not while it's actually showing in cinemas.

Robopadna

Robopadna

Quote from: HuDaFuK on May 18, 2017, 12:43:26 PM
Yeah, I really don't think they'd alter the film mid-run. Between press screenings and release, or later on home video, sure, but not while it's actually showing in cinemas.

Seriously, the sheer logistics and cost of having to replace every single reel or HD with the new cut of the movie would far outweigh anything.  There isn't even a backlash to this, just some audience members laughing.

There would have to be something horrendously offensive that had protestors marching and boycotting seeing the movie (in which case they also probably wouldn't do it but just pull the movie instead).

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed