Could have been better. (2/5)
60 (13.1%)
Didn't like it. (1/5)
32 (7%)
Hated it! (0/5)
30 (6.6%)

Total Members Voted: 455

Author
Alien Covenant Fan Reviews (Read 274,161 times)

Jonesy1974

Jonesy1974

Well I've finally seen it and I loved it. I can see why some don't but for me it was the best since aliens. It definitely isn't perfect by any means but I really liked the dark, nihilistic tone of the film and as expected from Ridley it looks beautiful.

Didn't find it scary in the slightest but I'm not convinced 6 films down the line it's possible to make the Alien scare anymore but it was definatley thrilling.

I thought the back/throatburster sequence was probably the best scene in any alien film since lambert and Parker were introduced to the Xeno.

Also loved the opening scene with Weyland, I'm not sure why but it felt really uneasy and tense to me.

Fassbender was outstanding and I really liked all the characters who were given a chance to make an impression. Daniels was the heart of the film, I really like her and Orams characters, in particular when they discussed investigating the planet. Tennessee was great value too.

I wasn't keen on the birthing scene with the arms up and even though I wasn't a fan of shaw I found her discovery a bit meh.

Loved the end when Daniels realised it's David, she really pulled off the horror of her predicament but it was a terrible shame it was so obvious to the audience David had switched.

And the alien at last standing tall again was a highlight.

They really need to stop given up so much of these films in the trailers though. The original alien trailer is one of the greatest ever now they just show you the whole bloody film.

4 out of 5 for me and can't wait to see it again.

MightyViper

MightyViper

Quote from: Hemi on May 13, 2017, 08:33:41 PM
Wow... Did not expect this "haters gonna hate" outcome on the poll, as reactions on the boards were negative. Nice.

Thing is, the people who loathed something are always gonna be way louder/more visible than those who don't. Particularly in the core of a fandom. It's the reason why SW fans convinced themselves everyone hated TFA, when quite obviously the vast majority at the very least liked it.

TheBATMAN

TheBATMAN

The opening prologue with Weyland is absolutely fantastic. I love how Weyland is so proud of his perfect creation and boasts about human ingenuity and design in a room filled with great works of art, only for David to completely turn the tables by pointing out humanity's frailties and realising that he is in fact superior to his creator. This revelation leaves the all-arrogant Weyland coldly silent. It's wonderful, and then the classic music and hieroglyph title card gave me goosebumps.

Then the rest of the movie happened.

On the whole I can't find a better word other than 'okay.' The most disappointing thing for me was there was just no suspense throughout the entire thing. The 'climax' on board the Covenant was absolutely woeful. The alien itself aside from a few shots looked disappointing in its digital incarnation, though I did love the close-up shots of the side of its head. It's finally the right size again.

I did like the music though. I thought the theme that played when the chestburster emerged was really good. Putting aside the comedic hands in the air scene, the music actually made it come across as quite emotional watching Oram give birth to the progenitor of 38 years of franchise history.

prometheusfire08

prometheusfire08

ffs

David plays the EXACT same tune in prometheus.......

it's the engineers theme ......

Randomizer

Randomizer

Quote from: Semaka on May 13, 2017, 08:29:48 PM
Here is my review, unfortunately it is in Romanian, but I know there are Romanian fans here and maybe they want to have a look. (If I am breaking any rules, I appologize in advance, and you can delete this post):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nly8AoeHpZA&t=1s

Uh, hello ! We don't see each other often around here (in fact we barely do) !  :laugh:

I'm in a bit of a disagreement when it comes to having English titles for non-English videos. Could've at least used a subtle "Film Review" if you know what I mean.

Overall it was a solid review. Thanks for clearing it up. I have low expectations for this movie and didn't know what to expect.

Jonesy1974

Jonesy1974

Quote from: TheBATMAN on May 13, 2017, 09:00:44 PM
The opening prologue with Weyland is absolutely fantastic. I love how Weyland is so proud of his perfect creation and boasts about human ingenuity and design in a room filled with great works of art, only for David to completely turn the tables by pointing out humanity's frailties and realising that he is in fact superior to his creator. This revelation leaves the all-arrogant Weyland coldly silent. It's wonderful, and then the classic music and hieroglyph title card gave me goosebumps.

Then the rest of the movie happened.

On the whole I can't find a better word other than 'okay.' The most disappointing thing for me was there was just no suspense throughout the entire thing. The 'climax' on board the Covenant was absolutely woeful. The alien itself aside from a few shots looked disappointing in its digital incarnation, though I did love the close-up shots of the side of its head. It's finally the right size again.

I did like the music though. I thought the theme that played when the chestburster emerged was really good. Putting aside the comedic hands in the air scene, the music actually made it come across as quite emotional watching Oram give birth to the progenitor of 38 years of franchise history.

I liked the film on a whole more than you but definatey agree on the opening scene, it's full  of underlying tension. Your right about the birthing scene too but god knows why we had the silly comedy hands, talk about killing the moment!

Dan2004

Dan2004

Just watched -  not happy

Cons

Way too long character building
Slaughtered everyone within minutes
Too many different monsters
Very predictable
Kill scenes way too fast
End scene very predictable
Talking to Aliens FFS

Pros
David
Xeno CGI impressed me beyond expectation
Bombing scene nicely done - just slightly quick

Overall if you're expecting Alien type Ridley (Dark corners hunting down crew slowly and in a scary unpredictable manor) forget it. If he makes another and it's anything like this - Game over man

cucuchu

cucuchu

Quote from: Dan2004 on May 13, 2017, 09:51:38 PM

Cons

Very predictable
Kill scenes way too fast
Talking to Aliens FFS

Pros
David

Overall if you're expecting Alien type Ridley (Dark corners hunting down crew slowly and in a scary unpredictable manor) forget it. If he makes another and it's anything like this - Game over man

Thanks for the review....but really, are they showing two different versions of the film at different cinemas??? You praise the CGI, others praise it, then others say its jarringly bad...Some say the characters are well fleshed out,others say we get hardly any character development.

I know everyone has their opinions and that is fine...its just funny how all over the place the fan AND official reviews are. On the plus side, since everyone's reviews keep cancelling each other out, I have no idea what to expect on the 18th when I see it  :)

MightyViper

MightyViper

Quote from: cucuchu on May 13, 2017, 10:52:17 PM

Cons

Very predictable
Kill scenes way too fast
Talking to Aliens FFS

Pros
David

Thanks for the review....but really, are they showing two different versions of the film at different cinemas??? You praise the CGI, others praise it, then others say its jarringly bad...Some say the characters are well fleshed out,others say we get hardly any character development.

I know everyone has their opinions and that is fine...its just funny how all over the place the fan AND official reviews are. On the plus side, since everyone's reviews keep cancelling each other out, I have no idea what to expect on the 18th when I see it  :)

Well, to some most CGI is jarringly bad.

But for others, Alien 3 CGI is jarringly bad and everything else varies from okay to fantastic.

T Dog

T Dog

Quote from: cucuchu on May 13, 2017, 10:52:17 PM

Cons

Very predictable
Kill scenes way too fast
Talking to Aliens FFS

Pros
David

The creature CGI is not good. It looks weightless when neomorphs and creates the modern issue of "lets show more because we can" which leads to more ropey cgi shots. The fully grown xeno actually moved much better than the neos but by god was its birth sequence hilarious, it looked like it was gonna start singing and dancing "new york new york".

szkoki

szkoki

Alien 3 had puppets . only had 1 shot cg

Marash

Marash

Ok then, this review is so very full of spoilers. So if you're reading this, you've seen the film!

Fassbender was excellent! He does creepy so very well and both David and Walter were wonderfully similar while being polar opposites. It was kind of obvious how it was going to end though and raised the first of my inner nerd questions. "How did David know to store embryos in the correctly sized/packaged way for loading to Covenant?"

From the moment David cut his hair, it was telegraphing the inevitable swap. Just saying.

Onto the rest of the cast. In an appropriate word, expendable. With the exception of Daniels, none of the rest of the crew engendered any feeling of empathy, even Tenessee. If a Xenomorph was headbutting the window in front of me, I'd be doing something a little more than saying "woah".

The rest of this rant will be my inner nerd screaming, I'd apologise, but I figure, if you're reading this, you're probably exactly the same as me.

David creates the Xenomorph from experiments with Neomorph DNA? Where the hell did he get the eggs from? Why did he take a backward step in creating facehuggers when the spore is a much better method of infection? We're expected to buy 10 years of backstory from a 2 minute clip? Bring out the extended edition or die in shame!

If Shaw was the one singing John Denver and piloting the ship, when/why/how did she rebuild David given that the ship they took from Prometheus was a different one from the ship David was decapitated on?!

Why did the newborn Xenomorph interact with David? Supposedly recognises him as creator? Bollox, it would have run or attacked him, not performed some sort of bullshit mime act.

And the final nail in the canonical coffin, yes we all know that Xenomorph maturation rates are pretty much as variable as you like, however, the one that pops in the med bay must have been on all kinds of shit to go from infant to full adult pretty much in the time in takes Daniels to get to the bay! The whole 3rd act felt rushed to me. Some great action sequences that should have been drawn out giving some time for the Alien to grow and start hunting and people to realise how screwed they are. Ripley spent the best part of 2 hours being terrorised by the original before finally blowing it out the airlock. Daniels goes from scared to murderous in 3 minutes and happily gets into close quarters with it to achieve the same effect......Massive lady balls or rushed story telling? You decide.

Oh and before I give this the inevitable thumbs up that you know are coming. Ya canny defy the laws of physics! Yes I know Xenomorphs are vacuum resistant but that bastard jumped through space (hard vacuum with no momentum) and managed to get back on the ship?! Bollox to you Einstein and Newton, what do you know? Silicon based lifeforms scoff at your assumptions on action/reaction. Air and multi ton equipment heading out to space? I shall simply use my strength, pointy claws and can do attitude to piss all over that! If only Ripley's alien had the same ability, I can only think he didn't want it enough.

Gripes aside, it's a bloody good romp and a worthy addition to the series. You knock Mr Scott at your peril and the man knows his stuff. I will be waiting for the extended or directors cut to prove my points, this film delivers atmosphere and scares for the newby and initiated alike. Supposedly sets up the sequel but seeing as the survivors are completely at David's mercy, that's a short and gory film!

bacchus

bacchus

Quote from: szkoki on May 13, 2017, 11:34:29 PM
Alien 3 had puppets . only had 1 shot cg

You mean 1 CG sequence right? Pretty much all of the sequence at the end involving the Xeno chasing people through the corridors and locking the doors etc was CG, at least 3 minutes worth.

Alien³

Alien³

Just got back from my second viewing of Covenant. Loved it even more.

I noticed so many details this time around.

Quote from: bacchus on May 14, 2017, 12:12:12 AM
You mean 1 CG sequence right? Pretty much all of the sequence at the end involving the Xeno chasing people through the corridors and locking the doors etc was CG, at least 3 minutes worth.

The only CG shot in Alien 3 is the cracks running down the head when the alien is splashed with water. All the shots of it running down the corridors etc, is a rod-puppet added onto the footage.

Spoiler
[close]

MightyViper

MightyViper

Quote from: Alien³ on May 14, 2017, 12:43:23 AM
Just got back from my second viewing of Covenant. Loved it even more.

I noticed so many details this time around.

Quote from: bacchus on May 14, 2017, 12:12:12 AM

The only CG shot in Alien 3 is the cracks running down the head when the alien is splashed with water. All the shots of it running down the corridors etc, is a rod-puppet added onto the footage.

Spoiler
[close]

This specifically was the CG I was thinking of:

QuoteTo finish the alternate cut, a shot of the infant Dragon running away from the carcass of its host was completed with a CGI version of the creature, as the sequence had originally been dropped from the film before the creature effects were added

http://avp.wikia.com/wiki/Alien_3_Assembly_Cut

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed