Could have been better. (2/5)
60 (13.1%)
Didn't like it. (1/5)
32 (7%)
Hated it! (0/5)
30 (6.6%)

Total Members Voted: 456

Author
Alien Covenant Fan Reviews (Read 276,282 times)

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

I wish I could've seen Ridley's face at the premiere, to see how he reacted to the laugh that line got.

dry_heat

dry_heat

I loved it!

I've just joined, so "hi" to you all.

I thought the film was excellent. I went to see Prometheus the day it came out and walked out the cinema thinking "WTF was that about?". I didn't hate Prometheus, but after getting it on Bluray (in 3D) it did start to grow on me.

As for AC, the film seemed to me as a sequal to Prometheus rather than a prequal to Alien. I know it had strange plot areas and people doing questionable things BUT so did Alien. In Alien, you have them go out into a derelict space craft and then one of the crew members looking into the egg. And then they got the guy back on the ship, observed a facehugger on his face and tried to get it off but then it fell off on it's own. After all of that, they invited him to dinner without ever asking what the purpose was of the thing hugging his face over the past few days.

Same thing with Aliens, the marines are sent into the Alien area and then told to disarm?? LOL...and also the wierdness of no-one noticing the huge Alien queen hitch a ride on the dropship.

Am sure a movie based on common sense would be rather boring.

Some people have complained about a certain person not being in the film, but as far as I was concerned that person featured quite heavily where required and I felt suitably informed about that person.

I am a fan of Alien, watched it a ton of times. And the same with Aliens too. I disliked Alien 3 and Alien R.

All in all, I thought it was a great film and was happy there was pointers to both Alien and Prometheus. However, I did think one early scene in particular was a hat tip to 2001 Space Odyssey.

thanks for reading and I hope I haven't given too much away

Fire Marshall Bill

Quote from: Dill-On on May 13, 2017, 12:01:55 PM
1] Alien3, Alien
2] Aliens
3] Alien: Resurrection
4] Covenant

-] Prometheus should not exist

At least I feel like they got rid of Engeeners from the genesis of xenomorph.
It's good! I miss my old, good Space Jockeys designed by H.R. Giger.
David and Walter are the best part of this new film.
I don't understand why chesburster has legs? What is the purpose?
I treat this new movie as a spin-off, not a prequel.
Too naive - like some stories from comic books in this universe.
Design of neomorph is poor. Sorry.
However, It's still pretty enjoyable movie and I would like to see it again. Soon.
It's still could be better. Then I would like to buy Blu-Ray.
But I don't want to.

The fact that you have alien resurrection as the 3rd best in the franchise, and have a problem with the creatures in covenant, yet they clearly look better than the white halfbreed baby alien in resurrection not to mention ripely had a jump shot lol...I haven't even seen covenant and I already know it has to be either 3rd or 4th best of the series. But hey to each his own....resurrection is borderline horrible imo

Salt The Fries

Salt The Fries

Quote from: HuDaFuK on May 13, 2017, 01:01:37 PM
I wish I could've seen Ridley's face at the premiere, to see how he reacted to the laugh that line got.
I think it was meant to bring sexual connotations to the table.

reecebomb

reecebomb

Quote from: Salt The Fries on May 13, 2017, 01:16:56 PM
Quote from: HuDaFuK on May 13, 2017, 01:01:37 PM
I think it was meant to bring sexual connotations to the table.

Obviously, but was it meant to be a parody, if it was, then why? It wasn't the only moment my theatre burst laughing. I thought this was supposed to scare us shitless, like the promo interviews suggest.

NickisSmart

NickisSmart

Quote from: HuDaFuK on May 13, 2017, 10:59:49 AM
Quote from: Snake on May 13, 2017, 10:55:25 AMThe best iteration of the xenomorph so far imo.

Apart from the fact it was an idiot.

It looked good, but it wasn't portrayed as a particularly intelligent creature.

The xeno's never been terribly bright, in the series. The smartest of the whole bunch is the Queen, and she's not a rocket scientist.

reecebomb

reecebomb

Quote from: Fire Marshall Bill on May 13, 2017, 01:14:49 PM
1] Alien3, Alien
2] Aliens
4] Covenant

However, It's still pretty enjoyable movie and I would like to see it again. Soon.
But I don't want to.

The fact that you have alien resurrection as the 3rd best in the franchise, and have a problem with the creatures in covenant, yet they clearly look better than the white halfbreed baby alien in resurrection not to mention ripely had a jump shot lol...I haven't even seen covenant and I already know it has to be either 3rd or 4th best of the series. But hey to each his own....resurrection is borderline horrible imo

He's far from being the only one who liked A:R more than Covenant. They are both very oddball films, but Resurrection is better in some ways and is a more coherent movie overall. The creatures are awful in both, Covenant has more detailed cgi but unlike A:C. Resurrection had some practical aliens. 

900SL

900SL

Quote from: NickisSmart on May 13, 2017, 01:33:09 PM

The xeno's never been terribly bright, in the series. The smartest of the whole bunch is the Queen, and she's not a rocket scientist.

Actually, that's in the next screeplay. The Queen starts an Alien NASA. 

Fire Marshall Bill

Quote from: reecebomb on May 13, 2017, 01:40:06 PM
1] Alien3, Alien
2] Aliens
4] Covenant

But I don't want to.

He's far from being the only one who liked A:R more than Covenant. They are both very oddball films, but Resurrection is better in some ways and is a more coherent movie overall. The creatures are awful in both, Covenant has more detailed cgi but unlike A:C. Resurrection had some practical aliens.

I dunno man, guess it all depends on what you like. Resurrection imo was laughable at best. From the dumb concept of cloning Ripley, to the characters it seemed more like a riddick movie or something than part of the alien franchise. Not one second of suspense. Not to mention Ripleys clone acted nothing like ripely its as if they just brought her along cus they feared continuing the franchise without her character. And again, no suspense or scary moments at all. Def have to disagree with you on all parts concerning that movie. IMO it's down there with avp requiem. Should've never been made. Only positive about resurrection was Ron pearlman

MrRipley

MrRipley

Another problem is juicy trailer footage not seen in the film.

The edited Shower scene,The Rosenthal scream the 1 bit I was waiting for and in 2 seconds we are into the next scene,the red corridor and the last supper footage,all would have added to this film.

reecebomb

reecebomb

Quote from: Fire Marshall Bill on May 13, 2017, 02:31:31 PM
1] Alien3, Alien
2] Aliens
4] Covenant

But I don't want to.

I dunno man, guess it all depends on what you like. Resurrection imo was laughable at best. From the dumb concept of cloning Ripley, to the characters it seemed more like a riddick movie or something than part of the alien franchise. Not one second of suspense. Not to mention Ripleys clone acted nothing like ripely its as if they just brought her along cus they feared continuing the franchise without her character. And again, no suspense or scary moments at all. Def have to disagree with you on all parts concerning that movie. IMO it's down there with avp requiem. Should've never been made. Only positive about resurrection was Ron pearlman

Yep, it depends but please don't put the A:R on the same level with AVP:R. The latter was so bad i couldn't even make it to the half point of the movie. Ripleys clone not acting like Ripley was kind of the idea, it would have been far worse the other way.
To me A:R is not really an alien movie but as a spinoff, it's a quilty pleasure of sorts. In it's defence i thought that the pacing and suspense, the cast, the music and the overall visual style was better than in Covenant, it had some strong moments. The aliens were stupid afterthought in both of them and at least the newborn made me feel a little uneasy. And not to mention that Jenuet is a very good director and his handprints are all over the movie.

Ingwar

Ingwar

Quote from: reecebomb on May 13, 2017, 02:56:17 PM
To me A:R is not really an alien movie but as a spinoff, it's a quilty pleasure of sorts. In it's defence i thought that the pacing and suspense, the cast, the music and the overall visual style was better than in Covenant, it had some strong moments. The aliens were stupid afterthought in both of them and at least the newborn made me feel a little uneasy. And not to mention that Jenuet is a very good director and his handprints are all over the movie.

Agree. Jean-Pierre Jeunet did better job that Scott in Covenant. I like his dark comedy and grotesque approach.

Ja

Ja

Quote from: Ingwar on May 13, 2017, 03:24:55 PM

Agree. Jean-Pierre Jeunet did better job that Scott in Covenant. I like his dark comedy and grotesque approach.

There is another thing. Soundtrack to Alien Resurrection is far superior to the one in Alien Covenant

reecebomb

reecebomb

Quote from: Ja on May 13, 2017, 03:33:11 PM
Quote from: Ingwar on May 13, 2017, 03:24:55 PM

There is another thing. Soundtrack to Alien Resurrection is far superior to the one in Alien Covenant

That's why i included music  ;) Most of the music was almost straight lifted, i kept thinking why is there Alien music in this movie.
The only original music i remember were the sappy melanchonic piano melodies that would fit right in 7th Heaven, i wanted to throw up. The pulsating throbbing and wailing worked well, but again it was Alien remixed.

Fire Marshall Bill

Fire Marshall Bill

Quote from: Fire Marshall Bill on May 13, 2017, 02:31:31 PM
1] Alien3, Alien
2] Aliens
4] Covenant

But I don't want to.

Yep, it depends but please don't put the A:R on the same level with AVP:R. The latter was so bad i couldn't even make it to the half point of the movie. Ripleys clone not acting like Ripley was kind of the idea, it would have been far worse the other way.

Bruh, it may be a spinoff to you but it's a direct sequel after alien 3. It's just a horrible movie period. Honestly as far as the score being better in resurrection than covenant, that doesn't bother me in the slightest honestly, I'm there to watch movie not listen to soundtrack. How did the newborn giant white alien making baby noises make you feel uneasy??! Not to mention it just crushes Charles lee ray's(the real chucky) for gore purposes only. Ripley although supposed to act different was really a boring character. She had no business being in the movie, its kinda like a soap opera when a character gets killed off the show cus they leave the show but then a year later get a new contract and then get bogusly written back into the show even though they clearly died last year. If they wanted to make a sequel to alien 3 it shoulda been a completely new story and we people like Prometheus was. I feel like just from what I've seen from trailers and snippets it's head and shoulders above resurrection. Put it this way, if resurrection was released instead of covenant I think we'd be saying rip to the franchise right now

Not to mention that was the beginning of Xenia sounding like dragons.. lol

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed