Could have been better. (2/5)
60 (13.1%)
Didn't like it. (1/5)
32 (7%)
Hated it! (0/5)
30 (6.6%)

Total Members Voted: 456

Author
Alien Covenant Fan Reviews (Read 276,522 times)

Rafael S.

Rafael S.

Quote from: USS-Sulaco on May 13, 2017, 08:53:29 AM
Quote from: Rafael S. on May 13, 2017, 08:42:46 AM
Having just came out of the theater, various things struck into my mind but definitely must highlight that I love what I believe is a representation of Giger through David. I was pro ancient creature or mother nature cleanser (still am to a degree) but now I don´t mind the idea of David the Alien creator as an homage by Ridley to the artist. I don´t know why I think this truly is the case.
Second, the hell...the Aliens looked MENACING AND DISTURBING. Tall, upright, more humanoid than ever. I was really proud of having elegance in these creatures once more.
And last, am I alone in thinking that the starting scene was just gold? Gold dialogue, gold acting, gold pacing. There are indeed this I disliked, mostly concentrating in the go-by attitude of the crew once they are in David´s castle but I must watch one more, I believe.
For now, feeling quite positive about the film. Ridley was one of the people that started this franchise, if someone must end it, I can´t think of somebody better than him. To infinity and beyond!

I'm with you, that starting scene was perfect. Weylands  ambivalence to David, his want of complete control of David. He's designed him to have an opinion, but he didn't want that opinion unless it suited him. And then the cut to the rehash of the original alien score and space. Just great.

The tea cup was just the begging of David´s training towards submission. Just pounding.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: USS-Sulaco on May 13, 2017, 08:41:42 AM
Spoiler
1. There needed to be something to address the choice to treat the planet in such a blasé fashion (i.e. no helmets, no consideration of potential pathogens). At least an atmosphere compositional scan, addressing surface conditions in general, something to add credibility. I understand the movie had to fit a lot in but it's an obvious thing people will complain about.
[close]

Spoiler
Ricks talks about how perfect it is for human habitation. It seems logical that he must have done some kind of atmospheric and environmental scan to know that.

Not to mention it's stated that there's a two-week journey between them finding the planet and actually arriving there. Plenty of time to run all kinds of scans, especially if no one's going back to cryo in the interim.
[close]

Mr. Weyland

Mr. Weyland

I might write a review later, don't have time right now. I have never been more disappointed in a movie in my entire life, and those that know me from way back might be surprised by that.

USS-Sulaco

USS-Sulaco

Quote from: HuDaFuK on May 13, 2017, 09:08:03 AM
Quote from: USS-Sulaco on May 13, 2017, 08:41:42 AM
Spoiler
1. There needed to be something to address the choice to treat the planet in such a blasé fashion (i.e. no helmets, no consideration of potential pathogens). At least an atmosphere compositional scan, addressing surface conditions in general, something to add credibility. I understand the movie had to fit a lot in but it's an obvious thing people will complain about.
[close]

Spoiler
Ricks talks about how perfect it is for human habitation. It seems logical that he must have done some kind of atmospheric and environmental scan to know that.

Not to mention it's stated that there's a two-week journey between them finding the planet and actually arriving there. Plenty of time to run all kinds of scans, especially if no one's going back to cryo in the interim.
[close]

No, Ricks talks about it being in the Goldilocks zone with a surface ocean and it is an ideal candidate to interpret as a habitable planet. That does not mean those interpretations were validated. Vs origae-6 which it sounds had been highlighted as a suitable candidate through reasoning similar to that which ricks discussed for paradise, but had furthered been vetted (assumption of satellites, landers gathering further data). Yes I know, you could just assume it was done off-screen, but I'm trying to address all the bitching that's gone on over trivial stuff like this. And for a modern audience you lose them unless you spell out details like this to keep story credibility air-tight

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Doesn't change my point about them having two whole weeks to check it out in more detail on the way.

Russ840

Russ840

Quote from: HuDaFuK on May 13, 2017, 09:31:28 AM
Doesn't change my point about them having to whole weeks to check it out in more detail on the way.

Yeah. I'm with you here dude.  Two weeks of scanning is enough to make the judgements about the place.

Space_Dementia

Space_Dementia

I liked it so much... I enjoyed it so much that I want to say I loved it. But not on the same level as the original Alien, or Aliens even. But I really did like this movie, a lot. Check out my spoiler-free review below.
https://youtu.be/eGNKL_F0o_k

USS-Sulaco

USS-Sulaco

Quote from: HuDaFuK on May 13, 2017, 09:31:28 AM
Doesn't change my point about them having two whole weeks to check it out in more detail on the way.

No it doesn't, but where do they ever mention said scans? That is an assumption. My last two sentences of previous post address my viewpoint on this.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

What else would they be doing in those two weeks we don't see?

The assumption they didn't check the planet out is more daft than assuming they probably did. Because that's obviously what they'd do. It doesn't need to be outright stated because there's 14 whole days in which they could do just that kind of thing.

If "a modern audience" can't come to that conclusion, then that's their issue, not the film's.

Andy R

Andy R

I took the wife to go and watch it last night...

I kept expectations low because I didn't want to be disappointed but....

I really enjoyed it!

Beautiful dark setting, good characters and a fun and entertaining storyline.

I thought I was going to dislike the 'Alien' being partly CGI but NO, they actually pulled it off in a way that did not feel forced and lazy.

My Only negative points, the gestation period is way off- resulting on the movie feeling it was on fast forward.

And concern about how it will link in with the rest of the franchise without spoiling it's predecessors.

I can see what they're going for and it is definitely creepy and sinister BUT a lot will have to be done to connect it up fluidly to the original movie.

Yes it was a paint by numbers and tick box movie, all the things you would expect to see in an Alien movie was there, but to expect anything different you should have gone to see a different movie.

My final verdict,  really entertaining and deserves it's title into the franchise.

USS-Sulaco

USS-Sulaco

Quote from: HuDaFuK on May 13, 2017, 09:58:06 AM

The assumption they didn't check the planet out is more daft than assuming they probably did. Because that's obviously what they'd do. It doesn't need to be outright stated because there's 14 whole days in which they could do just that kind of thing.

If "a modern audience" can't come to that conclusion, then that's their issue, not the film's.

What is this remote sensing technology they can use that can actually give them atmospheric composition in the two weeks on the journey when they ARE NOT ACTUALLY AT THE PLANET? Direct testing of atmo cannot be done until in transit through said atmo. There are a barrage of tests you couldn't do until at the planet itself. Seeing as we see the covenant arrive at the planet, and a short space of time between that and the drop, it needs addressing, even with throw away lines. I'll agree to disagree on this one. Easy way to lose the audience which would be easy to avoid. Anyway I enjoyed the movie and that is what I choose to focus on.

Russ840

Russ840

Quote from: USS-Sulaco on May 13, 2017, 10:07:37 AM
Quote from: HuDaFuK on May 13, 2017, 09:58:06 AM

What is this remote sensing technology they can use that can actually give them atmospheric composition in the two weeks on the journey when they ARE NOT ACTUALLY AT THE PLANET? Direct testing of atmo cannot be done until in transit through said atmo. There are a barrage of tests you couldn't do until at the planet itself. Seeing as we see the covenant arrive at the planet, and a short space of time between that and the drop, it needs addressing, even with throw away lines. I'll agree to disagree on this one. Easy way to lose the audience which would be easy to avoid. Anyway I enjoyed the movie and that is what I choose to focus on.

Why can it not be done?

If they can tell the size and position of the planet light years away then why not as they get closer, perform more detailed scans. It's fiction set in the future so I'm sure these scans are possible. 

Murphy773

Murphy773

Hi folks,.

My review after watching it on Thursday night,.

Immediately after the film I walked away with "I really don't care anymore what happens next" which is such a shame for a true fan of these films for many years,.

It looks like Ridley has really decided end the alien films and I am highly doubtful that he will make another,. And for him to say alien 5 won't ever get made,.!? Maybe now that we have seen the backstory to these perfect organisms the story in alien 5 just doesn't make sense,.

I'll go into details about what was in my opinion wrong about the film but for now,.

Very disappointed,..

Snake

Snake

Second, the hell...the Aliens looked MENACING AND DISTURBING. Tall, upright, more humanoid than ever. I was really proud of having elegance in these creatures once more.
And last, am I alone in thinking that the starting scene was just gold? Gold dialogue, gold acting, gold pacing.

I totally agree with you. When the xenomorph stood outside the temple and looked at the dropship, it looked like a freaking badass. And when it was crawling around the ship you could sense it's immense power and weight. The best iteration of the xenomorph so far imo.

And yeah, the prologue is pure gold. I think it's brilliant where David gets his name from.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Snake on May 13, 2017, 10:55:25 AMThe best iteration of the xenomorph so far imo.

Apart from the fact it was an idiot.

It looked good, but it wasn't portrayed as a particularly intelligent creature.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed