Could have been better. (2/5)
60 (13.1%)
Didn't like it. (1/5)
32 (7%)
Hated it! (0/5)
30 (6.6%)

Total Members Voted: 456

Author
Alien Covenant Fan Reviews (Read 277,759 times)

gantarat

gantarat

Alien Blomkamp's concept art

jdxmoore

jdxmoore

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 12, 2017, 08:32:02 AM
Quote from: windebieste on May 12, 2017, 08:29:07 AM
It doesn't matter who makes the next movie, though.  They'll need a thoroughly kick ass writer to bring it to life.

And a director who will listen to that writer.

Apart from if it's Lindelof right?

Ingwar

Ingwar

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 12, 2017, 08:32:02 AM
Quote from: windebieste on May 12, 2017, 08:29:07 AM
It doesn't matter who makes the next movie, though.  They'll need a thoroughly kick ass writer to bring it to life.

And a director who will listen to that writer.

But it was John Logan who convinced Ridley to come back to Xenomorph stuff.

D. Compton Ambrose

Quote from: gantarat on May 12, 2017, 08:35:42 AM

That did not come from Blomkamp's team. That is fan art.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: gantarat on May 12, 2017, 08:35:42 AM

That's just fanart.

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/qQvKD

Quote from: Ingwar on May 12, 2017, 08:35:59 AM

I'm told that came down from Fox.

Ingwar

Ingwar

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 12, 2017, 08:43:55 AM
Quote from: Ingwar on May 12, 2017, 08:35:59 AM

I'm told that came down from Fox.

If it came down from Fox then it means that writer didn't have much to say anyway. It's Fox movie.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Obviously, we don't know the full picture yet. But yes, it's Fox's movie. And they're mis-reacting to Prometheus with this. However, in an ideal world it'd be nice to have a writer (and/or director) who isn't hampered by damaging edicts from above, a director who people dare say "this is a bad idea" to and etc.

SuicideDoors

SuicideDoors

I'm going to watch the film again tomorrow before composing my final thoughts. First reaction below though:

Spoiler
- They didn't get the Alien right :( almost everything was off. Oram had a chest splatter of blood before expressing pain;
the life cycle was too quick and the facehugger impregnation on Lope was facepalm. The adult variation was full on AvP almost. No elegant, sinister, almost beautiful portrayal that has been sorely missed since '79 (maybe 86)

+ However I liked the new chestburster. Translucent and spindly, it's a disregard of the old design but one that's executed well enough.

+ Loved the Neomorph. The backburster remains the most thrilling sequence in the film from the preview footage.

- The second act left me cold. Tonal switch to Prometheus 2 from an outright Alien film was jarring. Even though I did like the Fassbender philosophical babbling

+ Fassbender is just outright wacky and crazy as David. Scenes between David and Walter are weird yet appreciated for adding a bit more complexity to your standard Aliens killing everything movie.

+ Acting is generally really good.

- Characterisation is null and void however.

+ David's little shop of horrors.

+ In what is otherwise an extremely bleak film, there is some genuine giggles mostly from Fassbender's androids. "Let me do the fingering" and "Don't let the bed bugs bite" were hilarious.

- I felt it was too short. The breakneck pace after they land on the planet needed padding out in some section, probably the third act. Actually definitely the third act. More care to the Alien life-cycle would have been greatly appreciated and may have bumped it up a mark in my books.

+ Looks gorgeous.
[close]

I can't muster up a rating yet - but I know where I'd put it in rankings:

Alien
Aliens
Alien 3
Alien: Covenant
Prometheus
Alien Resurrection

dave1978

dave1978

Everyone moaning the life cycle was too quick,    are you forgetting Alien???  it burst from Kane and was 8 feet tall in under 10 minutes in the film,  hours in the story.   give it a rest

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Somebody post the current results... I still have a week to go!

USS-Sulaco

USS-Sulaco

Quote from: dave1978 on May 12, 2017, 09:15:24 AM
Everyone moaning the life cycle was too quick,    are you forgetting Alien???  it burst from Kane and was 8 feet tall in under 10 minutes in the film,  hours in the story.   give it a rest

Seriously? Alien implies a longer time between burster and the death of Brett at the hands of the big chap. They even have time to have a funeral for Kane and shoot him out into space before having a big team meeting to plan, ash to craft a motion detector from scratch, before they go hunting. Covenant seems to imply a much shorter duration.

Yes there is ambiguity in both movies as to how much time has past, but a reasonable person watching both movies side by side would assume much more time has past in alien.

PsyKore

PsyKore

Quote from: SiL on May 12, 2017, 08:01:02 AM
Spoiler
Again, he literally just saw the android trying to talk and sympathize with the monster, then got a 5 minute tour through David's house of horrors where he explains he's been improving said monsters. He has zero reason to trust David or feel safe sticking his face in an alien object.
[close]
Meh, he's definitely gullible, but curiosity was too strong.

gantarat

gantarat

i don't understand why
Spoiler

Lope have alien inside him ? yeah fachugger attack him but that just few second before get cut off
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBvbmCPZ0vg&spfreload=5
[close]

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: gantarat on May 12, 2017, 09:48:21 AMi don't understand why
Spoiler

Lope have alien inside him ? yeah fachugger attack him but that just few second before get cut off
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBvbmCPZ0vg&spfreload=5
[close]

Desperate attempt to surprise the audience with an Alien in the final act... despite the fact the trailers showed us one on the ship so everyone knew it was coming anyway.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed