Could have been better. (2/5)
60 (13.1%)
Didn't like it. (1/5)
32 (7%)
Hated it! (0/5)
30 (6.6%)

Total Members Voted: 455

Author
Alien Covenant Fan Reviews (Read 274,080 times)

Citadel

Citadel

If I had to rank it now before my second viewing in IMAX, it'd be

Alien (10/10)
Aliens (8/10)
Alien: Covenant (710)
Prometheus (7/10)
Alien 3 (6 or 7/10) depending on cut/mood
everything else

I feel like Covenant is in such an awkward situation. It's better than Prometheus, but at the same time Prometheus succeeded where Covenant didn't. It's a conundrum atm.

John Doe

John Doe

I saw again today on IMAX and it´s getting worst after the second viewing. OMG, i can´t believe what Scott did to the franchise with Covenant.

bacchus

bacchus

Personally I'd rate them...

1. Aliens (10/10)
2. Alien 3 (8/10)
3. Prometheus (7.5/10)
4. Alien Covenant (3/10)
5. Alien (3/10)
6. Alien Resurrection (3/10)
7. AvP (1/10)
8. AvP:R (0/10)

Yes, I know I'm weird for hating the original. But I saw Aliens and Alien 3 before I saw Alien and found it dull and dated after seeing the other two. Would definitely have appreciated it more if I had seen it at release I'm sure.

Quote from: justind on May 11, 2017, 04:02:44 PM
Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster. Just came back from watching Covenant and feel compelled to write a quick review.

Quick preface:
In my book Alien is a masterpiece and Aliens is one of my top 5 most enjoyable movies. Alien 3 has some nostalgic resonance with me but it doesn't compete with the first two. I was more hyped for Prometheus than any other movie in my life so far. That first leaked camera recorded trailer had me in tears of joy. Obviously it ended up having huge issues with the pacing, editing, and acting (imo) but by far the biggest disappointment personally was the implication that the Space Jockey was human-like. I don't mind the Engineers in themselves but I still hold out hope that the Space Jockey race are God to the Engineers and other like them (such as in Covenant) and that a segment of Engineers (as seen in Prometheus) stole the fire of creation and made Humans. After seeing this movie I still believe this may happen.

So a few tidbits of thought that are stuck in my mind after seeing the film:
* The effects and shots are incredible for the most part. Don't really need to talk much about what worked as the vast majority of it was amazing.
* The parts that failed for me were a few shots of the creatures which were video game worthy not film. That said, most shots of the alien were better than expected and that I had seen before in promos. Also, I wish the alien vision later in the film was removed.
* Pacing was great and is including the final act. No problems for me and this was my main concern going in after reading the early reviews. Felt balanced.
* Lead-up to the planet was enjoyable and reminded me of Alien. Gave me a chance to get a feeling for the characters before the action. It felt real unlike Prometheus' corny and overly scripted interactions.
* Loved the look of the planet itself. Somehow pristine but 'off' at the same time.
* Acting was superb all the way around. I genuinely liked or appropriately disliked all the characters, especially Walter, David, Oram, and Tennessee. Daniels was also very good and not a Ripley clone. Everyone really pulled their weight which is so refreshing after Prometheus in which I strongly disliked every character including David (who is much much better here). Not saying any of it was Oscar nomination worthy (apart from maybe David) but it was very effective.
* Soundtrack was superb.

The following points contain storyline spoilers:
Spoiler
* Backbursting scene was brilliant and I got a huge adrenaline spike from it. Just wow. Real weight to it.
* That level is almost immediately raised another notch with the Neomorph attach in the field, which was the best scene for me. It was just so vicious and conveyed the creature's power and unnatural aggression. I could feel the panic and confusion. Some guy gets his jaw whipped off like nothing.. People getting mauled and torn apart... Seeing Walter try to defend Daniels and having his arm chewed off... No time to think... This scene had me shivering in bliss. The alien gfx was particularly good here, probably because it was so rapidly cut.
* Short breather in the Temple to gather breath then Ridley starts slowly turning the screw again.
* Hate to be morbid but the gore... In addition to the obvious burster and mauling scenes... Female carcass in the water being eaten... Autopsied body... Walter-David-flute... Disturbing.
* Again, loved Fassbender's acting. Razer sharp and unhinged.
* Shower scene music was fine. Heard some people complain that it was corny. It would have been if it was soundtrack rather on their radio. It served it's purpose which was to drown out the distant alarms.

That's a far as I'll go with specifics. Seriously don't ruin it for yourself if you haven't seen it. I'm not saying there are any revelationary twists or anything, as by this point of watching you will probably already know what is going to happen, but I'm glad I only knew basic script outline up until the backburster scene.
[close]

In summary, I just loved the whole feel to this movie. The decrepit dampness, the foreboding, the panic, the torment...

Score:
Divided my rating into two; technical and personal. Reason being that a movie can be appreciated but not 'liked' like.

Technical execution: 8.5/10
Personal resonance: 9.5/10
Overall: 9/10

So on the Alien spectrum:

Alien (10/10)>>Covenant=Aliens>>>>>>>>Alien3>>>>>>Prometheus>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Everything else Alien/AVP.

Yes, that's right. It is equal to Aliens in my mind. If the creature effects felt more 'practical' then it would surpass Aliens. Maybe I've just seen Aliens too many times haha. So I am very happy. I came in expecting something on Prometheus' level and got a whole lot more. It was just a great night at the cinema. Of course, I have some serious concerns about the direction Ridley is taking the mythology but I still see a way forward that respects the all sides. Time will tell.

So after sleeping on it I'm not as sure if it matches Aliens. Will need to see it again. I do know that Covenant has captured my interest more so than any other movie I have seen at the cinema in recent years (other than perhaps Interstellar).

Some more tibits:
Spoiler
* Drop ship down to planet was excellent. Really felt the danger and force of the atmosphere à la Alien. Prometheus it was way to smooth and easy in that aspect.
* Not too keen on how the spores seem to move through the air so intelligently but I suppose they are semi-sentient nano machines?
* Don't mind Oram acting 'stupidly' by following David. I feel like he is already halfway out the door in terms of his motivation to continue with existence and just wanted answers. After all how would you be knowing that your choice cost so many lives including that of your partner, especially in such a nightmarish way? I suspect you would want to know why they had to die. He probably wouldn't mind the chance to see her sooner if possible.
* Loved how no of the characters are perfect in their moral condition, bravery or thought process (except Walter). They make human choices.
* Liked the resolve in Water's in face when challenged to make choice by David (though David was just stalling). He might be my favourite character in the whole series now.
* The death of the both Protomorphs was underwhelming, especially the second one.
* After reading about the alternative ending I feel that would have been more sinister.
* I really liked how the Neomorph and Protomophs were able to stretch perfectly upright like a statue. Can't really put a finger on what I liked about that just do.
[close]

Jigsaw85

Jigsaw85

So how was the Alien portrayed in this movie? Was he big and powerful or weak and stupid? Just hoping he isn't AVPR level embarrassing.

bacchus

bacchus

Quote from: Jigsaw85 on May 12, 2017, 01:01:49 AM
So how was the Alien portrayed in this movie? Was he big and powerful or weak and stupid? Just hoping he isn't AVPR level embarrassing.

More like the original Alien's look combined with the aggression of the Xeno in Alien 3.. Tall, lean, fast, strong and aggressive. Way better than AVPR.

Jigsaw85

Jigsaw85

Quote from: bacchus on May 12, 2017, 01:28:42 AM

More like the original Alien's look combined with the aggression of the Xeno in Alien 3.. Tall, lean, fast, strong and aggressive. Way better than AVPR.

Awesome.

Predaker

Predaker

Quote from: bacchus on May 12, 2017, 12:31:37 AM

1. Aliens (10/10)
2. Alien 3 (8/10)
3. Prometheus (7.5/10)
4. Alien Covenant (3/10)
5. Alien (3/10)
7. AvP (1/10)

Yes, I know I'm weird for hating the original. But I saw Aliens and Alien 3 before I saw Alien and found it dull and dated after seeing the other two. Would definitely have appreciated it more if I had seen it at release I'm sure.

Wut.

but the space jockey and the derelict... and what about the bonus situation?

Citadel

Citadel

Quote from: Jigsaw85 on May 12, 2017, 01:34:55 AM
Quote from: bacchus on May 12, 2017, 01:28:42 AM

Awesome.
Yet very easily defeated.

newagescamartist

1. Aliens (10/10)
2. Alien 3 (8/10)
3. Prometheus (7.5/10)
4. Alien Covenant (3/10)
5. Alien (3/10)
7. AvP (1/10)

Strange rankings. I love how different everyone's taste is.

bacchus

bacchus

Quote from: newagescamartist on May 12, 2017, 01:47:17 AM

1. Aliens (10/10)
2. Alien 3 (8/10)
3. Prometheus (7.5/10)
4. Alien Covenant (3/10)
5. Alien (3/10)
7. AvP (1/10)

Strange rankings. I love how different everyone's taste is.

I just find the original incredibly dull, slow and somewhat dated now. Aliens is for me, the ultimate film of the franchise and had everything. Don't understand the amount of hate Alien 3 gets. It wasn't a perfect film at all, and obviously not happy with the decision to kill off Newt and Hicks, but it was tense, entertaining, original and had great cinematography and production design.

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Ranking is tough. My rankings are chronological (Alien, Aliens, Alien 3, Alien: Resurrection). Covenant is at the end somewhere with A:R.

This is easily the weirdest Alien movie ever. The first 20-30 minutes are great, then it is all pure bat-shit insanity. I am not sure how anyone could think back after seeing this movie and not shake their head in amazement at some of the shit that happens in this film. It is almost "wooden planet" type bonkers.

Rating: 5 WTFs out of 10.

juxtapose

juxtapose

covenant is still holding on strong after 90 reviews. .currently sitting at 77 on rt

bacchus

bacchus

Quote from: ChrisPachi on May 12, 2017, 02:35:21 AM
This is easily the weirdest Alien movie ever. The first 20-30 minutes are great, then it is all pure bat-shit insanity. I am not sure how anyone could think back after seeing this movie and not shake their head in amazement at some of the shit that happens in this film. It is almost "wooden planet" type bonkers.

Love that line to sum it up, so true. The first 30 minutes were seriously great, but then just bizarre creative choices by the writers. I think that equates to 25% great, 75% WTF. But not a good WTF.

windebieste

windebieste

These days, with big budget AAA movies targeting the brainless Saturday night popcorn crunching crowd, I'm happy if 80% of a movie is satisfying.  'ALIEN: Covenant' easily exceeds that goal for me.

I liked it - for what it is.  A roller coaster ride of new and familiar tropes progressing the series onto new horizons.  Yeah.  Overall, this is a good thing.

-Windebieste.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed