Could have been better. (2/5)
60 (13.1%)
Didn't like it. (1/5)
32 (7%)
Hated it! (0/5)
30 (6.6%)

Total Members Voted: 456

Author
Alien Covenant Fan Reviews (Read 276,360 times)

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Stolen on May 11, 2017, 04:30:33 PMI wanted to cry when I heard the flute play the theme of Prometheus. fascinating

I thought that moment was cringeworthy.

Evanus

Evanus

Quote from: HuDaFuK on May 11, 2017, 05:25:20 PM
Quote from: Stolen on May 11, 2017, 04:30:33 PMI wanted to cry when I heard the flute play the theme of Prometheus. fascinating

I thought that moment was cringeworthy.
What made it so cringeworthy? Because it broke the fourth wall?  :D

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Exactly. It was daft and makes no sense.

It's like that bit in the Bond film where the Indian snake charmer gets his attention by playing the James Bond theme on his pungi. It just comes across as really stupid.

Whos_Nick

Whos_Nick

You get to see close ups of Engineers, even the female ones.

Also it's such a shame that they painted over the practical stuff, I saw the film during the December test screening and I fondly remember there being practical Xeno and Neomorph suit stuff. A lot of it was digital and not fully rendered, but there was a good bit of practical stuff.  :'(

cucuchu

cucuchu

Quote from: Whos_Nick on May 11, 2017, 05:35:40 PM
You get to see close ups of Engineers, even the female ones.

Also it's such a shame that they painted over the practical stuff, I saw the film during the December test screening and I fondly remember there being practical Xeno and Neomorph suit stuff. A lot of it was digital and not fully rendered, but there was a good bit of practical stuff.  :'(

When you say painted over, do you mean they completely edited out the practical alien and replaced it entirely with CGI, or do you mean they kept the practical alien but put digital overlay on top of it?

GQSioux

GQSioux

Surprised no one has talked about the shower scene yet. Am I the only one that despised the music choice during that scene?

Whos_Nick

Whos_Nick

It looks like a similar process to the Deacon in Prometheus. That was a puppet and got painted over digitally in post.

Stolen

Stolen

Quote from: Whos_Nick on May 11, 2017, 05:35:40 PM

I will be interested to know what has changed between the test screening and the film? Can you tell me the differences please?

Whos_Nick

Whos_Nick

Few changes I remember off the top of my head:

1) Opening is a little different, originally you didn't see Franco's corpse and them cleaning up the colonist pods.

2) Slightly longer scene where Daniels mourns Franco.

3) Shaw prologue is in the film, it begins when David talks to Walter with his flashback (before bombing)

4)
Spoiler
I don't remember seeing Shaw's corpse in the original cut, but I could be wrong.
[close]

5) David/Walter switch is much less telegraphed and more subtle

6) Ending is completely different, top to bottom.

That's what I remember being the most different, apart from that there might have been alternate angles etc.

Evanus

Evanus

What is different in the ending?

Whos_Nick

Whos_Nick

Spoiler
The ending as it stands has Daniels finding out about the David switch but being stuck in her cryo pod, David "Sleep tight," etc. He goes down and reveals himself as David to Muthur and plays Wagner while putting the facehugger embryos and then the whole "This is Walter signing off." That's the theatrical ending. The original ending Daniels didn't find out about the switch, she went to sleep. David does not reveal himself, pretends to be Walter and opens the colonist bay. He then lumps up three Xeno embryos (at least what I remember). There's no Wagner playing. He then closes the embryo tray and does a hop skip then we cut to black. No Walter signing off, just ends there.
[close]

The December ending was superior imo and more ambiguous, but it might not have tested well, thus they spelled it all out.

cucuchu

cucuchu

Quote from: Whos_Nick on May 11, 2017, 06:15:26 PM
It looks like a similar process to the Deacon in Prometheus. That was a puppet and got painted over digitally in post.

Maybe I am in the minority then because I felt the deacon looked just fine in regards to fitting with the environment around it. The digital effects did not scream fake to me. So if that is the standard by which they used for Alien Covenant, I am perfectly fine with that.

Whos_Nick

Whos_Nick

Well personally I found the effects for the Xeno not as good as the Deacon in some spots lol

Evanus

Evanus

Quote from: Whos_Nick on May 11, 2017, 06:32:47 PM
Spoiler
The ending as it stands has Daniels finding out about the David switch but being stuck in her cryo pod, David "Sleep tight," etc. He goes down and reveals himself as David to Muthur and plays Wagner while putting the facehugger embryos and then the whole "This is Walter signing off." That's the theatrical ending. The original ending Daniels didn't find out about the switch, she went to sleep. David does not reveal himself, pretends to be Walter and opens the colonist bay. He then lumps up three Xeno embryos (at least what I remember). There's no Wagner playing. He then closes the embryo tray and does a hop skip then we cut to black. No Walter signing off, just ends there.
[close]

The December ending was superior imo and more ambiguous, but it might not have tested well, thus they spelled it all out.
Yeah, the original ending sounds much better.

I hope they release the alternate/deleted scenes.

Stolen

Stolen

@whos_nick thank you, very interesting

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed