Could have been better. (2/5)
60 (13.1%)
Didn't like it. (1/5)
32 (7%)
Hated it! (0/5)
30 (6.6%)

Total Members Voted: 456

Author
Alien Covenant Fan Reviews (Read 276,447 times)

cucuchu

cucuchu

Quote from: SiL on May 11, 2017, 02:24:31 PM
I think every shot of the Big Chap was CGI. The bursting wasn't, impressively, and I wouldn't be surprised to hear that the baby Alien was at least partially a rod puppet.

I wonder if Boss knew they'd be getting painted over or if they got ADI'd.

Do you mean FULL CGI or a practical alien with digital overlay? Because some of the shots I have seen of it in promo's and such, it looks as though its practical but with a lot of CGI added on top of it. I.E. The shower scene and the shot with all the water coming down on it.

Necronomicon II

Necronomicon II

Overall I really enjoyed it. 8/10

Biggest positive for me was Walter and David, and David's personality now; he's quite something and he's completely sold the direction here on out for me. 
Spoiler
Lovecraftian Old Gods et al would have been cool but incredibly safe for me (not to mention opening up further infinite regression), I actually find where this is going far more interesting thematically, but that's me. I am very intrigued for the next film, I can tell you that much.
[close]

Shaw's fate? LOVED THAT!  ;D ;D

Spoiler
I quite literally gasped at that, actually, I'm glad I read no leaks and didn't watch any tv spots (apart from the crew logs and first two prologues). He really harvested her good, damn.
[close]

The neomorphs were quite beautiful, definitely a worthy addition to the canon.

The tone was consistent and I could feel my stomach turning through out. Gorgeously shot, the production values were top notch, as usual. Some truly striking images throughout.

As for some certain deviations in
Spoiler
the xeno's lifecycle; this ain't the Giger form descended from the derelict on 426, repeat, I suspect that form will be the evolved, further perfected life form that David will not be able to control, ergo, the biomechanical big chap requires longer gestation periods, obviously since there's more going on as far as its biology is concerned. Even the eggs in this film are David's design, but it will get out of his control, no doubt. They're edging into the Giger stuff, after all.
[close]

I think it did about as well as it could have to deal with everything left over from Prometheus and still satisfy as well. I'll definitely need to see it again though. But yeah, I enjoyed it quite a bit and my gripes are pretty minor all things considered, mainly CGI and pacing. But I've come to terms with accepting that the first two films - and what made them masterpieces -  will never happen again.

Ridley's a madman, and I love him all the more for it. Bring on the next one. 

Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster. Just came back from watching Covenant and feel compelled to write a quick review.

Quick preface:
In my book Alien is a masterpiece and Aliens is one of my top 5 most enjoyable movies. Alien 3 has some nostalgic resonance with me but it doesn't compete with the first two. I was more hyped for Prometheus than any other movie in my life so far. That first leaked camera recorded trailer had me in tears of joy. Obviously it ended up having huge issues with the pacing, editing, and acting (imo) but by far the biggest disappointment personally was the implication that the Space Jockey was human-like. I don't mind the Engineers in themselves but I still hold out hope that the Space Jockey race are God to the Engineers and other like them (such as in Covenant) and that a segment of Engineers (as seen in Prometheus) stole the fire of creation and made Humans. After seeing this movie I still believe this may happen.

So a few tidbits of thought that are stuck in my mind after seeing the film:
* The effects and shots are incredible for the most part. Don't really need to talk much about what worked as the vast majority of it was amazing.
* The parts that failed for me were a few shots of the creatures which were video game worthy not film. That said, most shots of the alien were better than expected and that I had seen before in promos. Also, I wish the alien vision later in the film was removed.
* Pacing was great and is including the final act. No problems for me and this was my main concern going in after reading the early reviews. Felt balanced.
* Lead-up to the planet was enjoyable and reminded me of Alien. Gave me a chance to get a feeling for the characters before the action. It felt real unlike Prometheus' corny and overly scripted interactions.
* Loved the look of the planet itself. Somehow pristine but 'off' at the same time.
* Acting was superb all the way around. I genuinely liked or appropriately disliked all the characters, especially Walter, David, Oram, and Tennessee. Daniels was also very good and not a Ripley clone. Everyone really pulled their weight which is so refreshing after Prometheus in which I strongly disliked every character including David (who is much much better here). Not saying any of it was Oscar nomination worthy (apart from maybe David) but it was very effective.
* Soundtrack was superb.

The following points contain storyline spoilers:
Spoiler
* Backbursting scene was brilliant and I got a huge adrenaline spike from it. Just wow. Real weight to it.
* That level is almost immediately raised another notch with the Neomorph attach in the field, which was the best scene for me. It was just so vicious and conveyed the creature's power and unnatural aggression. I could feel the panic and confusion. Some guy gets his jaw whipped off like nothing.. People getting mauled and torn apart... Seeing Walter try to defend Daniels and having his arm chewed off... No time to think... This scene had me shivering in bliss. The alien gfx was particularly good here, probably because it was so rapidly cut.
* Short breather in the Temple to gather breath then Ridley starts slowly turning the screw again.
* Hate to be morbid but the gore... In addition to the obvious burster and mauling scenes... Female carcass in the water being eaten... Autopsied body... Walter-David-flute... Disturbing.
* Again, loved Fassbender's acting. Razer sharp and unhinged.
* Shower scene music was fine. Heard some people complain that it was corny. It would have been if it was soundtrack rather on their radio. It served it's purpose which was to drown out the distant alarms.

That's a far as I'll go with specifics. Seriously don't ruin it for yourself if you haven't seen it. I'm not saying there are any revelationary twists or anything, as by this point of watching you will probably already know what is going to happen, but I'm glad I only knew basic script outline up until the backburster scene.
[close]

In summary, I just loved the whole feel to this movie. The decrepit dampness, the foreboding, the panic, the torment...

Score:
Divided my rating into two; technical and personal. Reason being that a movie can be appreciated but not 'liked' like.

Technical execution: 8.5/10
Personal resonance: 9.5/10
Overall: 9/10

So on the Alien spectrum:

Alien (10/10)>>Covenant=Aliens>>>>>>>>Alien3>>>>>>Prometheus>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Everything else Alien/AVP.

Yes, that's right. It is equal to Aliens in my mind. If the creature effects felt more 'practical' then it would surpass Aliens. Maybe I've just seen Aliens too many times haha. So I am very happy. I came in expecting something on Prometheus' level and got a whole lot more. It was just a great night at the cinema. Of course, I have some serious concerns about the direction Ridley is taking the mythology but I still see a way forward that respects the all sides. Time will tell.

juxtapose

juxtapose

awesome review. .thank you necronomicon II!

cucuchu

cucuchu

Quote from: Necronomicon II on May 11, 2017, 03:34:39 PM
Overall I really enjoyed it. 8/10

Biggest positive for me was Walter and David, and David's personality now; he's quite something and he's completely sold the direction here on out for me. 
Spoiler
Lovecraftian Old Gods et al would have been cool but incredibly safe for me (not to mention opening up further infinite regression), I actually find where this is going far more interesting thematically, but that's me. I am very intrigued for the next film, I can tell you that much.
[close]

Spoiler
I quite literally gasped at that, actually, I'm glad I read no leaks and didn't watch any tv spots (apart from the crew logs and first two prologues). He really harvested her good, damn.
[close]

The neomorphs were quite beautiful, definitely a worthy addition to the canon.

The tone was consistent and I could feel my stomach turning through out. Gorgeously shot, the production values were top notch, as usual. Some truly striking images throughout.

As for some certain deviations in
Spoiler
the xeno's lifecycle; this ain't the Giger form descended from the derelict on 426, repeat, I suspect that form will be the evolved, further perfected life form that David will not be able to control, ergo, the biomechanical big chap requires longer gestation periods, obviously since there's more going on as far as its biology is concerned. Even the eggs in this film are David's design, but it will get out of his control, no doubt. They're edging into the Giger stuff, after all.
[close]

I think it did about as well as it could have to deal with everything left over from Prometheus and still satisfy as well. I'll definitely need to see it again though. But yeah, I enjoyed it quite a bit and my gripes are pretty minor all things considered, mainly CGI and pacing. But I've come to terms with accepting that the first two films - and what made them masterpieces -  will never happen again.

Ridley's a madman, and I love him all the more for it. Bring on the next one.

Great review, I hope I come out feeling the same as you! I agree with you on the
Spoiler
aliens not being fully evolved to where they are on LV426. I personally believe the title being Awakening has something to do with something within the species being awakened. Perhaps the ancient xeno being awakened. I don't know, but certainly these are not the true Xeno's. I know others will dispute this but the way I interpreted his interview with IGN is exactly from what he said... that wants to see the creature evolve and not be controlled.
[close]

Stolen

Stolen

Quote from: Necronomicon II on May 11, 2017, 03:34:39 PM

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
Maybe the most shocking thing of the movie, really.
I am very sad but it was a very big moment..
I wanted to cry when I heard the flute play the theme of Prometheus. fascinating
[close]

Evanus

Evanus

Hmm, to me Shaw's fate seems terrible and cheap - But I haven't watched it, so yeah.

Stolen

Stolen

For me it's the most unhealthy thing I've seen in the saga.

I think Covenant is a better Prometheus movie than an Alien movie.
It remains mysterious on many things but it is clearly a sequel, not the one we thought, much more terrifying!

Covenant is torn between art (david's story, visual, prometheus) and commercial (alien), it's crazy. Even more radical than Prometheus for me.

Even if you don't like, there is so much wealth, things to understand, thematic, it's a fascinating film.

juxtapose

juxtapose

. .i loved prometheus for the most part. .it had some flaws i will admit. .but what i did like about it had little to do with noomi's performance or the character of shaw. .i neither liked or disliked her. .so her fate is a little sad. .but nothing that will keep me awake at night. .and it serves to elaborate on just how diabolicly evil and psychotic david seems to have become. .

. .oh and speaking of davids nesfarious deeds. .how did that bombing scene turn out?

Stolen

Stolen

The bombing sequence is very very short. The scene lasts 40 seconds ...
Great but too short.

juxtapose

juxtapose

Quote from: Stolen on May 11, 2017, 04:52:01 PM
The bombing sequence is very very short. The scene lasts 40 seconds ...
Great but too short.
. .i figured it might be very short. .i am curious. .the ending of crossing over seems to be the beginning of that scene. .is it exactly like that end bit or. .is it seen from a different camera angle and did that famous  or rather infamous still from empire magazine make it into the movie. .the one showing the engineers close up. .

Stolen

Stolen

It's exactly the same as in the prologue, adds 30 seconds and it's over !

Evanus

Evanus

So is the close up shot of the engineers in it?

Stolen

Stolen

And engineers are not beautiful unfortunately. I love them, but terrible make-up
But we don't have time to analyze shot, really too fast!

juxtapose

juxtapose

. .thankyou for your answers stolen. .apreciate that you took the time. .

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed