Alien: Covenant Teaser Trailer Now Online!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Dec 25, 2016, 05:06:30 AM

Author
Alien: Covenant Teaser Trailer Now Online! (Read 129,962 times)

Enoch

One thing I misses to say... I simply love how Weyland is approaching
David in that white room... that scene will be great. Guy Pearce could have been
great in Prometheus if they gave him a chance. His TED talks was monumental,
bad ass!

D88M

wtf are all these complaints,  the trailer didnt show or say anything, we still know nothing, it looks good, more of a Alien prequel than Prometheus sequel, but here is hoping they answer the question left by the previous one,

Burn the Floor

Quote from: whiterabbit on Dec 25, 2016, 07:47:56 PM
The trailer did it's job. There's be ALIENS in this movie. I bitched about the lack of horror and scariness in Prometheus and Ridley just told me that he heard that moaning loud and clear. For me, I want terror and a decent set of tits. Second I want the vastness of Prometheus. The trailer and the unseen production photo leaks missing from the trailer tell me I'm getting all of it.

It's this "blood 'n boobs" mentality that gets us sub-par shit like AVPR

XenoHunter99

XenoHunter99

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Dec 25, 2016, 06:40:44 PM
Quote from: XenoHunter99 on Dec 25, 2016, 05:07:22 PMThe magic is gone. That's the most concise way to put it. I can wait for this on video and not miss anything.

Pretty bold claim considering you've seen all of 2 minutes of the film in clip format with no context whatsoever.

We have context and patterns of data going back decades. We have the trickle of stills with design work going back for months. I have seen nothing impressive or exciting in any the Covenant material. This trailer merely confirms my position. So far, seems more like, "Move along, nothing to see here."

Space7Horror

Im down with a violent bloody and scary Alien film, which this trailer assures me it will be but it could have been done better, its a good trailer just I dont want to know when a terrifying alien creature is gonna bust through someones spinal chord and out their back. I also hope we get a bigger picture like prometheus started to lay down.

Hemi

Hemi

Quote from: Burn the Floor on Dec 25, 2016, 07:22:05 PM

I'm feeling a lot of denial in people defending this trailer. Like it or not, that's your right. But don't try to justify poor production choices, okay?

Maybe I'm not defending it and actually like it??  Assumption is the mother of all fckups

Burn the Floor

Maybe I'm not defending it and actually like it??  Assumption is the mother of all fckups

Hey
Like it or not, that's your right.
See what I did there?

Enoch

Irony of this movie will be that the majority of the audience will
love it... Completely different situation from Prometheus.Core
fans expected flawless movie and endorsed the trailer, but they
ultimately were disappointed with the movie itself. Perhaps it will be
other way around this time.

Darth Vile

Quote from: fiveways on Dec 25, 2016, 05:34:19 PM
Quote from: Darth Vile on Dec 25, 2016, 05:07:58 PM
Quote from: fiveways on Dec 25, 2016, 04:33:07 PM
Quote from: That Yellow Alien on Dec 25, 2016, 02:57:43 PM
ALIEN explicitly made use of horror tropes; it's all about execution. We'll have to wait and see.

ALIEN did it before those tropes were as really established, and with a sense of mystery and style that you just can't pull off in 2016.  Pre-1980 horror films establish the tropes, 1980 (the year slasher films exploded on the film world) solidifies them and the rest of the 80's was spent building on those tropes to the point of cliche. 

s
I consider myself quite an aficionado of horror films... everything from expressionist German horror to Classic Universal and Hammer Studios films... to the classic horror movies of the 60's and 70's. And in my opinion, Alien/Ridley Scott DID make use of existing thriller/horror tropes. These did NOT start with Alien.

So am I but we have to look at the date it came out in.  The average film-maker or viewer has next to zero access to this in a per-vhs beyond private screenings, or the films being played at a theatre or on TV.  Tropes I think more form in the days of VHS and with accessibility to these films.  Before that, most of these films were made in complete isolation.  They might not have started with Alien, but Alien is one of the last refining stages before they become established tropes.  In my mind, the watering down/becoming a overused cliche all has to do with the rise of VHS and horror film in the 1980's.  It might have existed before, but many filmmakers would have zero knowledge of it or ability to watch those films.  You also have to localize geography quite a bit as well, as screening of international horror films in the 70's we very few and very far between even in massive cities. 

Even Scott and Dan Obannon have claimed to have never seen "Planet of the Vampires" when ALIEN was made (a claim i do not believe but they still claimed it).

I think technology/time frame has more to do with the rise of tropes/cliche than anything else.  I'm more likely to go easy on a film that dates before 1980 than I am during the Home Video revolution.
I'm still not sure I'd agree. Ridley Scott knew exactly what he was doing when he used half light, smoke, hissing cats, close shots etc. etc. when making the original Alien. He was using all the techniques/tropes of previous films/filmmakers to create suspense (which is what good filmmakers usually do). What I think has changed is...

1) There are more products/films out there now. Every other film is a big budget thriller... so by definition it's harder for any film to stand out in a crowd/competitive market. A good thriller usually uses the same tropes as a bad thriller. The difference being that they are usually better executed in terms of cinematic language/context.

2) Related to the above... With the increase in volume of products/films, there is a risk of a deterioration in the skills (or less emphasis placed on those skills) in order to push films to market too quickly. Thus some filmmakers resort to tropes without understanding their cinematic context. Which is why there are many examples of modern filmmakers equating suspense/thrills to just 'jump'/'boo' moments... which is usually the default position of lesser filmmakers. 

vortep

Can some one give and a download link for the trailer in 1080p?

Nightlord

I'm intrigued anyway, seems to be a pretty basic setup and everyone knows there's aliens for definite. Visuals look fine, though for the first thing you see on an alien planet grass and barley/wheat plants ain't that exotic. Showing character deaths in the trailer was dumb too, but whatever.  Compared to Prometheus this looks like it may explain stuff, or at least try to give some origin for the usual alien and that's fine by me. 

Only major annoyance is the lack of space suits again, why does Ridley hate them so much?

D88M

D88M

so, teh Alien in the shower is not the original creature with the biomechanical design from 1979, but a new variation? the poster made it look like we would see the original Alien for the first time since 79, but the one in the trailer for the very little it could be seen it looks pretty different

Quote from: vortep on Dec 25, 2016, 08:17:19 PM
Can some one give and a download link for the trailer in 1080p?

just look for any site that can download youtube videos, select HD quality and voila, you should try 4k Downloader

Hemi

Quote from: Burn the Floor on Dec 25, 2016, 08:01:33 PM

Hey
Like it or not, that's your right.
See what I did there?

Yeah...  "like it or not,  I still say you are defending poor production stuff.. Bla bla"  or "like it or not,  that's your right... But you stink anyway and you have a poopmouth".  Nice cover there. 😁

DorkiDori

i liked that recut of the trailer with the siren... i think it was a bit more creepy than the official trailer, but im just a sucker for that scream/siren sound as far sound production goes :)

i still think there are too many people complaining about it though. the film looks amazing and were still only seeing a small fraction of a huge picture :D

Nostromo

Quote from: harlequinade on Dec 25, 2016, 02:42:14 PM
I'm SHOCKED at all the complaining I see on various boards. This was honestly better than I expected, the acting looks fantastic, the cinematography - about which people whine everywhere I look now  - honestly looks great to me - dark and gritty but also very beautiful (the shots of the environment of the planet) and that opening scene was tense as hell. Fantastic trailer!
Exactly, not sure what all the friggin wanking is about?? wtf does one want to see? This movie looks like it will have so much good sh!t in it...wankers!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed