Alien: Covenant Teaser Trailer Now Online!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Dec 25, 2016, 05:06:30 AM

Author
Alien: Covenant Teaser Trailer Now Online! (Read 131,481 times)

szkoki

Quote from: nanison on Dec 25, 2016, 04:32:32 PM
I've just checked it again, there is a white creature behind the net/grid which Daniels (i presume) is walking towards too with gun ready to fire. Pictures were posted on the main page.

the chick is firing who looked up the other one with the infected dude at the beginning. she will blow up the drop ship by hitting something flameable

XenoHunter99

The magic is gone. That's the most concise way to put it. I can wait for this on video and not miss anything. I'm happy for the people who are hyped for this. I hope it's not another turd, but the more they show, the less I care about it. I'll monitor its progress in the hope that I'm wrong. But so far, this thing is not thrilling me.

Darth Vile

Quote from: fiveways on Dec 25, 2016, 04:33:07 PM
Quote from: That Yellow Alien on Dec 25, 2016, 02:57:43 PM
ALIEN explicitly made use of horror tropes; it's all about execution. We'll have to wait and see.

ALIEN did it before those tropes were as really established, and with a sense of mystery and style that you just can't pull off in 2016.  Pre-1980 horror films establish the tropes, 1980 (the year slasher films exploded on the film world) solidifies them and the rest of the 80's was spent building on those tropes to the point of cliche. 
I consider myself quite an aficionado of horror films... everything from expressionist German horror to Classic Universal and Hammer Studios films... to the classic horror movies of the 60's and 70's. And in my opinion, Alien/Ridley Scott DID make use of existing thriller/horror tropes. These did NOT start with Alien.

reecebomb

I kinda wanna see the Shaw and David movie that takes place between Prometheus and Covenant.  Kinda like Shaw and David starring in "Moon".

That would be really interesting, how i imagined the sequel could pan out after seeing Prometheus. A nightmarish entrance to the Giger-esque world.

Quote from: Infected on Dec 25, 2016, 04:42:05 PM

I really hope that that neomorph has a friendly child face, something like the creature from Mimic the movie had a humanoid sillouette.
Just to throw you off.

Please no, another cheap horror trope that is far below the threshold of Alien standards.

SuicideDoors

Quote from: El Diablo on Dec 25, 2016, 04:46:26 PM
Quote from: Jigsaw85 on Dec 25, 2016, 06:17:34 AM
Can anyone Who read the spoilers tell me how the Aliens are portrayed in this movie? because the Alien in the shower reminded me more of the AVPR aliens than the original Giger beast. Please don't tell me the aliens are expendable canon fodder in this movie.

Spoiler
Both the Neomorph and the final Alien are more feral and animal like as opposed to the creeping, silent killer from the original.
[close]

That shriek at the end might be a placeholder sound effect though. The Hugger sound is lifted directly from the '79 film. We haven't seen literally anything to determine how the Alien is gonna be portrayed. I'm sure Scott will make the Alien seem Alien again, or at least I'm choosing to place my faith in him until I've seen the film in May.

rabidranger

Long time lurker. I thought the trailer was okay. Didn't really spoiler much which I guess is a departure from the Prometheus promotion. I take it the circumstances surrounding the derelict in Alien and events in Aliens is a direct result of what happens in Alien: Covenant? I have a nagging feeling we're going to find out that the queen from Aliens is actually Shaw.....

AsapJockey

The Alien in the shower looks to be untouched by biomechanical influence in its DNA i think this will be the money shot at the end they showed us basically the first 40 minutes of this film real quick and left out the other 2/3 of it.

fiveways

Quote from: Darth Vile on Dec 25, 2016, 05:07:58 PM
ALIEN explicitly made use of horror tropes; it's all about execution. We'll have to wait and see.

ALIEN did it before those tropes were as really established, and with a sense of mystery and style that you just can't pull off in 2016.  Pre-1980 horror films establish the tropes, 1980 (the year slasher films exploded on the film world) solidifies them and the rest of the 80's was spent building on those tropes to the point of cliche. 

s
I consider myself quite an aficionado of horror films... everything from expressionist German horror to Classic Universal and Hammer Studios films... to the classic horror movies of the 60's and 70's. And in my opinion, Alien/Ridley Scott DID make use of existing thriller/horror tropes. These did NOT start with Alien.

So am I but we have to look at the date it came out in.  The average film-maker or viewer has next to zero access to this in a per-vhs beyond private screenings, or the films being played at a theatre or on TV.  Tropes I think more form in the days of VHS and with accessibility to these films.  Before that, most of these films were made in complete isolation.  They might not have started with Alien, but Alien is one of the last refining stages before they become established tropes.  In my mind, the watering down/becoming a overused cliche all has to do with the rise of VHS and horror film in the 1980's.  It might have existed before, but many filmmakers would have zero knowledge of it or ability to watch those films.  You also have to localize geography quite a bit as well, as screening of international horror films in the 70's we very few and very far between even in massive cities. 

Even Scott and Dan Obannon have claimed to have never seen "Planet of the Vampires" when ALIEN was made (a claim i do not believe but they still claimed it).

I think technology/time frame has more to do with the rise of tropes/cliche than anything else.  I'm more likely to go easy on a film that dates before 1980 than I am during the Home Video revolution.

Valaquen

Quote from: Darth Vile on Dec 25, 2016, 05:07:58 PM

Yeah, Alien was dragged through the critical grinder for using many old tropes (splitting up search parties, cat scares, etc) that were instantly recognisable (and quite old hat) to audiences in the 70's. Since Alien became the benchmark, younger fans just don't have the same perspective and don't recognise that much of the film was repurposed from older material.

genocyber

Anyone notice the xenomorphs tail in this is much smaller than the ones in the AVP movies.

BR1XER

Meh trailer. I see trailers as a work of art in themselves, as they should present something appetizing and stimulating to the mind. This doesn't cut it. Plus, CGI aliens? Uncharacteristic cinematography from the start? Incomprehensible dialogue? I'm worried.

But I'm not gonna judge until I've seen the real deal.

Attack.no1

Quote from: genocyber on Dec 25, 2016, 05:47:02 PM
Anyone notice the xenomorphs tail in this is much smaller than the ones in the AVP movies.

It's the original tail design.

Ja

Ja

Far superior ALIEN COVENANT TRAILER RECUTS: 

oberonqa

oberonqa

Quote from: Ja on Dec 25, 2016, 06:15:06 PM
Far superior ALIEN COVENANT TRAILER RECUT: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Al20SgjiqNc

I don't care for this cut.  We've been there, done that with the siren trailers.

Infected

Quote from: reecebomb on Dec 25, 2016, 05:12:38 PM

I kinda wanna see the Shaw and David movie that takes place between Prometheus and Covenant.  Kinda like Shaw and David starring in "Moon".

That would be really interesting, how i imagined the sequel could pan out after seeing Prometheus. A nightmarish entrance to the Giger-esque world.

Quote from: Infected on Dec 25, 2016, 04:42:05 PM

I really hope that that neomorph has a friendly child face, something like the creature from Mimic the movie had a humanoid sillouette.
Just to throw you off.

Please no, another cheap horror trope that is far below the threshold of Alien standards.
NO!! Listen to me, we need kids faces on these neomorphs!!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed