Alien Vault: The Definitive Story of the Making of the Film

Started by CorruptionSolid, Jun 14, 2011, 09:56:14 AM

Author
Alien Vault: The Definitive Story of the Making of the Film (Read 22,987 times)

SM

SM

QuoteNot everyone has the official docos

Then they're not trying hard enough.

The book will cost $23.  You can get the Quad box for $40.

Quote from: Vulhala on Jun 15, 2011, 12:16:58 PM
Oh. Well, if it's any consolation SM, it's easily some of the most informative stuff I've seen on the movies since forever.

Somehow I always seem to be away from a computer when they said "Who wants a free copy!!"  I DLed it from AXP, but had no way of joining the files.  Instructions wore sorely lacking.  Must give Pete a kick in the nuts for not following it up...

Given up on SiL...

Corporal Hicks

By the way guys, Ian Nathan, the author was at the London Film & Comic Con with some early copies. Andrew Clark & Harry Harris snagged a few copies and put some pics up over at Alien Legacy.

http://forum.alienslegacy.com/viewtopic.php?p=152792#p152792

I'm in touch with the publishers but they're currently waiting for a replacement PR officer so there hasn't been any movement on that front.

I've also front paged this, finally, now the Prometheus stuff has calmed down.

wmmvrrvrrmm

Well, the Ridley quotes shown look as if they're drawn from a fresh interview

wmmvrrvrrmm

Quote from: SM on Jun 15, 2011, 06:38:49 AM
Book Of Alien, the Official Movie Magazine and Alien - The Special Effects all fit that bill.

Though something akin to Paul Sammon's Future Noir would be certainly welcome - but that ran to over 400 pages rather than a mere 176.

I'm always wishing for the Paul Sammon version, he did write a book on the Alien saga that was never officially published though

m138jewski

will def buy this

Space Sweeper

See, now I've never actually seen this kind of stuff:

So for me, this book is most a must-buy. Those are some seriously awesome storyboards.

SiL

Alien: 20th Anniversary Edition DVD. :P

Corporal Hicks

I think they're on the Quadrilogy too. I once tried to cap them all. Got to 80 before I gave up.

Kol

Quote from: Space Sweeper on Jul 28, 2011, 04:53:45 AM
See, now I've never actually seen this kind of stuff:

So for me, this book is most a must-buy. Those are some seriously awesome storyboards.

i saw that on disc 5 or 6 of the alien anthology. it enhanced even the whole "ridleygrams"

Shasvre

The book looks nice and just by looking at those picture, I can tell there's a lot of stuff that I've never seen before. Can't wait to pick this up. :)

Space Sweeper

Quote from: SiL on Jul 28, 2011, 08:21:52 AM
Alien: 20th Anniversary Edition DVD. :P
Don't have that one.  :P

Also, I hate reading stuff like that off the screen.

Ash 937

I have "The Making of The Empire Strikes Back" by J.W. Rinzler.  It's officially licensed and is 372 pages long.  Given the fact that the "Alien" franchise and fan base is not as large as that of Star Wars, I'd imagine that this is the best we are going to get in terms of an officially licensed "Making of" about Scott's film. 

I just hope that most of the cast and crew were, in one way or another, participants in the information in this book.  I was really annoyed that Yaphet Kotto was nowhere to be seen in the interviews for the Quadrilogy Box Set.

Corporal Hicks

There's numerous books about the Making of Alien (and the series in general). Spoilt for choice really.

Ash 937

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 02, 2011, 06:55:29 AM
There's numerous books about the Making of Alien (and the series in general). Spoilt for choice really.

I went to Amazon looking for what's out there for Alien today...didn't find much. Paul Scanlon's The Book of Alien is available from private sellers but the book is described as having very little text which doesn't sit well with me.  There is also a book called Alien Woman: The Making of Lt. Ellen Ripley which might be interesting.  Other than those, I couldn't find much.  Maybe all the choices are out-of-print and/or unavailable?

SM

Book of Alien has about 16 pages with text.  It was a film tie-in published when Alien came out.  Most of the info is available elsewhere, but still worth it if you can get it at a decent price.

Alien Woman from all reports is one of them books that reads way too much into things.  For a better study of the films try On Film by Stephen Mulhall.

The Alien Quartet is ill-informed rubbish to be avoided.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed