Could this become a series?

Started by Born Of Cold Light, Jan 29, 2014, 07:25:12 PM

Author
Could this become a series? (Read 4,312 times)

Born Of Cold Light

Yes, I know, the game isn't even finished yet.  But if it's successful, do you think it could become a series?  They could do a similar survival horror game on Fury 161 or in the Derelict.  The Derelict I think has alot of potential; I'm thinking of the superb design from Alien Trilogy that was incredibly diverse, psychedelic, and morbid.  Give that HD graphics and a survival horror environment, and you'd have something special.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

If it makes money, it'll become a series whether it's designed to or not.

The Necronoir

The Necronoir

If it did continue on - whether a direct storyline or just in terms of approach - I wouldn't want it to slavishly shadow the movie series by visiting the same old locations. I think you'd be simultaneously pushing credulity and betraying originality by doing so. I'd much rather it branch out and explore entirely new or, at the very least, peripheral areas of the universe. This station run by a rival corporation is certainly a promising start, with enough keystones from the design of Alien to make it feel coherent.

Infected

Infected

Its just the ZombiU version of Alien.
The scare factor is high and the realness of it all also, so you bet your ass a lot of games are gonna pick up this style in first person games, it makes everything way realistic

newbeing

newbeing

If they plan on it becoming a series that's fine, but I hope they don't ASSUME it will become a series and leave it with a cliffhanger that never gets resolved.

szkoki

szkoki

funny how we ended up having no weapons and jump scares to a game have horror vibe....i miss weapons, survivor horror elements etc....only shoot em up and this slender style exists nowdays, shame

WinterActual

WinterActual

Damn right.

piff

piff

this game is a single player point and click game with no weapons. has no replay value, let alone become a series...

The Necronoir

The Necronoir

Quote from: piff on Feb 06, 2014, 12:36:49 AM
this game is a single player point and click game with no weapons. has no replay value, let alone become a series...
1) It's a fully-interactive 3D environment.
2) There are weapons, but they are scarce.
3) If the enemy AI performs as promised, no two playthroughs will be the same.

SiL

SiL

4) You haven't played the game, how the hell could you know if it has replay value or not.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: The Necronoir on Feb 06, 2014, 10:04:09 AM

The 4 times I died, each subsequent playthrough was different.

piff

piff

Quote from: The Necronoir on Feb 06, 2014, 10:04:09 AM
Quote from: piff on Feb 06, 2014, 12:36:49 AM
1) It's a fully-interactive 3D environment.
2) There are weapons, but they are scarce.

its a fully interactive 3d point and click.

there are weapons, but it becomes a moot point when there is only 1 alien.

all the successful aliens game HAVE ALWAYS had multiplayer. this one does not. not a good business move, as millions will just torrent it once they find out there is no real reason to buy the game for multiplayer. this is how the  world is today. millions in sales will be lost.

Blacklabel

Blacklabel

The only way i could live with having a character as "fanfictiony"
as Amanda Ripley as the lead would be if....

the events in this game acted as a replacement for "Aliens"... and in this universe... Ellen Ripley was never recovered in the narcissus and got lost forever in space. BANG! And now this game series could do it's own thing as an "alternate universe" story. :P

The Necronoir

The Necronoir

Quote from: piff on Feb 06, 2014, 05:53:28 PM
its a fully interactive 3d point and click.

there are weapons, but it becomes a moot point when there is only 1 alien.

all the successful aliens game HAVE ALWAYS had multiplayer. this one does not. not a good business move, as millions will just torrent it once they find out there is no real reason to buy the game for multiplayer. this is how the  world is today. millions in sales will be lost.
That's getting absurdly reductive. By that logic all shooters are fully-interactive 3D point and click, because you point a reticule toward an enemy and click a mouse button to fire.

It's not at all moot if the weapons are useful in prolonging your survival to the next encounter. Whether the alien dies as a result is the moot point. It has also basically be stated that there are threats beyond the alien - human and perhaps andriod.

Finally, a good game is a good game. There's no point shoe-horning a multiplayer mode into a a title that just doesn't lend itself to one. Aliens: Colonial Marines and the last AVP both had multiplayer modes that were dead within a few months of release. That kind of fickle market doesn't guarantee longevity, even if it temporarily boosts early sales.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Blacklabel on Feb 06, 2014, 11:21:55 PM
The only way i could live with having a character as "fanfictiony"
as Amanda Ripley as the lead would be if....

the events in this game acted as a replacement for "Aliens"... and in this universe... Ellen Ripley was never recovered in the narcissus and got lost forever in space. BANG! And now this game series could do it's own thing as an "alternate universe" story. :P

From Amanda's perspective, her mother was lost in space forever.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed