New PREDATOR Movie in the works from 10 Cloverfield Lane Director!

Started by Whos_Nick, Nov 20, 2020, 08:19:51 PM

Author
New PREDATOR Movie in the works from 10 Cloverfield Lane Director! (Read 117,392 times)

Tangakkai

Tangakkai

Quote from: Drukathi on Nov 21, 2020, 11:45:34 AM
Quote from: Tangakkai on Nov 21, 2020, 10:23:34 AM
1. It's a female protagonist as a warrior, Disney will LOVE that and make no mistake, this is the reason the movie got greenlit. Also, keep in mind, there is precedent for female comanche warriors and scouts.

I like a films with heroines like Ellen Ripley, Sarah Connor, Laurie Strode, Jyn Erso.
But this confuses me:
Quoteagainst gender norms and traditions

It looks like this is another agenda-exploitation film. Although Disney is very neat in this matter. I really like Rouge-One and don't see any aggressive agenda in SW8-9, but FOX...

While I myself am also weary of purely agenda-driven films without believability behind them, I believe this is one setting where a story about a woman going against tradition actually makes sense. The comanche, though fairly egalitarian, were structured into patriarchal nuclear families. The father would lead the household, his sons would stay and marry women from other families while his daughters would be married into other families. So right there, you do have a premise where a woman would have to go against the social norms of her surrounding to prove herself. And at the same time, there are reports of comanche women participating in raids, meaning there was a possibility for women to join the war band. So right there we have a fairly believable backdrop for a story about a woman overcoming tradition. Not saying they will definitely pull it of, but at least it's a believable premise.

Dingbat

I also don't have a problem with it being a woman, I can think of ways that this could be quite a cool movie, but the fact that literally the first we hear of this movie, they're talking about the caracter being about going against gender norms is an odd move and it does make it seem like it could be one of those agenda-driven movies, which would be a pity. But still, I'm sure we've much more to hear and I won't judge until later.

Bug hunt wilson

Wow insulting people who have a different opinion how originally

Voodoo Magic

Drukathi

I like this one more than Skulls.

Nightmare Asylum

I'll take the "Skulls" concept over that fan treatment any day. I really couldn't care less about reoccurring characters/lore in a Predator movie. The Predator concept is barely even franchise potential as it is (Predator 2 being as fun as it is feels more like a fluke than anything. Predators had potential as a concept but I wish that Rodriguez himself directed it - the movie had no real OOMPH and just kind of meandered in its second half). But if we are going to get another one of these, then I see a small scale, period piece hunt like the "Skulls" synopsis as being the way to do it.

Dan

I think this is the time when Arnold still can play a veteran soldier.
But if they do another story we miss to see that. If he's coming back as Duch we can see what happened to him in the last 30+years. Hunting grounds was a succes so i thought that was something disney/fox want to start something with. I see more potential in the present Than to go back to the past. To see Duch build a New team against the predators or even Harrigan and Roys could come back there's a lot of thing that can be told.

Dachande

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Nov 21, 2020, 06:09:11 PM
I'll take the "Skulls" concept over that fan treatment any day. I really couldn't care less about reoccurring characters/lore in a Predator movie. The Predator concept is barely even franchise potential as it is (Predator 2 being as fun as it is feels more like a fluke than anything. Predators had potential as a concept but I wish that Rodriguez himself directed it - the movie had no real OOMPH and just kind of meandered in its second half). But if we are going to get another one of these, then I see a small scale, period piece hunt like the "Skulls" synopsis as being the way to do it.

Absolutely. Predator would work as an anthology series, telling new stories with different characters each time. Sure you can have some overlap here and there, but it works best as a standalone each time. Bringing old characters back as fan service is just a cheap way to appeal to people, and looking at the last few Star Wars films, fan service does not make a good movie.

Plus Arnie and Glover are both well into their 70's now, and it is not going to be as believable fighting a predator.

zackpred12

I am excited.  Very excited!  However, some need to understand that people aren't turned off because the protagonist is female.  They are turned off because of political agenda.  For those of you that get offended by fanboys/fangirls just wanting a studio to focus on their beloved franchise instead of making a gender/racial political agenda rocket booster, don't be.  I promise you that the VAST majority of fans, if not ALL of us would be excited if it wasn't already reported as a "strong female warrior, going against gender norms".  Granted, Comanche women did have it rough, some even fought alongside male warriors (rare).  I even read somewhere that they weren't even allowed to touch Eagle feathers because they weren't worthy.  So, my point is...yes, Comanche women were tribally oppressed.   Have it in your movie. Fine.  But, don't tell us that this is the driving force of this film.  Automatically polarizing fans, not because of a woman protagonist,  but because the focus appears to be political rather than good Sci-fi.   So stop getting offended, and telling us that we need to wake up.  Because us misogynistic fans, grew up on Ellen Ripley, Machiko Noguchi and Sarah Connor.  Nuff said (mic drop)................

(Mic pick up..sometime later)
After reading several comments about what this movie can be, I have been having nerdgasms all morning!  My hopes are that this film really focuses not just on the main character,  but the whole tribe. Hope its filmed in Revenant fashion and tone of Apocalypto (like some of you mentioned) I hope to see some VERY strong male warriors.   A strong, and wise Chief.  I want the female to be a much weaker warrior than the others, and she has to devote all of her time and effort in being the best she can be.  She can't just pick up a bow and become Hawkeye, and pick up a light Sabre and be the strongest Jedi...is what I'm saying.  I want to see her suffer, get beaten (not like female battery,  just failing at becoming a warrior),  taken down, "dragged across concrete" throughout the bulk of the film. I hope its only one Predator, I also hope that we don't see it until the end....because I hope the Predator has a secret for us fans....finally when all the male warriors have been taken as trophies, and our weathered, beaten, protagonist emerges with a whole can full of vengeance and whoop ass...we see the Predator we all have been waiting for...and SHE will be "One beautiful mother f***er".  They fight, maybe for once the pred doesn't die.  Instead of self sacrifice,  she invites our protagonist to join the ranks of her tribe, because they have something in common.  Then ramp up for Machiko-esque sequels, starting a whole new struggle tougher than on earth.  If our female is the strongest warrior from the start without any suffering....this movie is doomed already. 

That would be my opinionated pitch for this.  It would be fail safe for fans and common movie goers.  Might even please SJW's....nah not likely.   ;D

Anyway, I know its long..but thanks for reading! 

Nightmare Asylum

There are plenty of things that can mess this movie up.

A female lead isn't one of those things. At all.

Drukathi

Drukathi

Agree with zackpred12. How about:
Quote'Skulls' will follow a Comanche woman who goes against a mysterious invisible spirit that exterminates the people of her tribe
Or
Quote'Skulls' will follow a Comanche woman who goes against a mysterious invisible spirit that exterminates the people of her tribe. And only she knows what kind of creature it is. Because it killed her father years ago.
Or even better
Quote'Skulls' will follow a Comanche woman who has only recently proven that she can stand on a par with men. As a beginner, she finds herself in a group of hunters that wandered into the forbidden valley. And now something is hunting the hunters. And only thanks to her natural ingenuity, she can resist this creature.

Nightmare Asylum

Imagine if every male-lead action film got this kind of scrutiny the minute it was announced, with people analyzing and debating about whether or not the lead is "capable" of accomplishing his task based solely on his gender and concocting hypothetical reasons that might "justify" his ability to do so?

[cancerblack]

This f**king thread smh

Gr33n M4n

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Nov 21, 2020, 07:32:44 PM
This f**king thread smh

I know, dude. People can't tell the difference between a strong female character and a Mary Sue. Realistic female characters who overcome the odds can and do work.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed