Why does everybody hate AVP: Requiem so much?

Started by Aliens1986fanboy, Oct 06, 2018, 11:33:27 AM

Author
Why does everybody hate AVP: Requiem so much? (Read 44,314 times)

SM

Considering we hear nothing about people disappearing in the narrative of the film during the day and the Aliens are confined to the sewer, that sounds very unlikely.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: SM on Feb 08, 2019, 03:18:18 AM
Considering we hear nothing about people disappearing in the narrative of the film during the day and the Aliens are confined to the sewer, that sounds very unlikely.

Hearing random sirens, screams and gunshots all over town in the background for almost 3 minutes, followed by a row of endless cars trying to get out of town, a reveal that the cell towers are down by the sheriff's "no service" cell phone, it was all my mind needed to extrapolate. I didn't need to be shown.

SiL

Yeah, the film pretty much does state the PredAlien took a siesta until they escaped the sewers.

Also the homeless lady probably would have been impregnated, but only with one Alien. Buddy and Sam, two bums and the homeless lady make five Aliens. Wolf kills two, three escape into the street with the PredAlien.

So Chet's first batch of pregnant bursters is, again, the waitress, who doesn't pop until shit is already going down.

And the endless cars was because of the power plant, not the Aliens.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: SiL on Feb 08, 2019, 03:44:16 AM
Yeah, the film pretty much does state the PredAlien took a siesta until they escaped the sewers.

Actually, it doesn't, but you're talking  infestation genesis, which I agree with the plot problems. The sounds of the town going to hell that I'm describing takes place in a 3min scene after the Aliens left the sewer and after Carrie's alien infested burster body was found with no sign of the Predalien in the diner. That's where you can extrapolate that the PredAlien was not taking a siesta after Carrie.

SiL

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Feb 08, 2019, 03:59:59 AM
That's where you can extrapolate that the PredAlien was not taking a siesta after Carrie.
Ah, no, you misread; I said it was taking a siesta until it left the sewer, not after Carrie.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: SiL on Feb 08, 2019, 04:06:17 AM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Feb 08, 2019, 03:59:59 AM
That's where you can extrapolate that the PredAlien was not taking a siesta after Carrie.
Ah, no, you misread; I said it was taking a siesta until it left the sewer, not after Carrie.

I didn't misread it. My impression was you misread me, considering how you worded it.

--

Voodoo: So understanding that, it's easy to extrapolate that the Pred-Alien didn't suddenly take a siesta for a portion of the film, but did what he did to waitress Carrie to multiple people.

SiL: Yeah, the film pretty much does state the PredAlien took a siesta until they escaped the sewers.

Voodoo: The sounds of the town going to hell that I'm describing takes place in a 3min scene after the Aliens left the sewer and after Carrie's alien infested burster body was found with no sign of the Predalien in the diner. That's where you can extrapolate that the PredAlien was not taking a siesta after Carrie.

SiL: Ah, no, you misread; I said it was taking a siesta until it left the sewer, not after Carrie.

SiL

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Feb 08, 2019, 04:17:21 AM
I didn't misread it. My impression was you misread me, considering how you worded it.
I specified the sewer, you said "a portion of the film", so I wasn't sure what portion you meant. Also my point was that Carrie's were first, so the shit going down was her four Aliens plus the two surviving Aliens after Wolf kills the one at the pool, which is a bit light for the mayhem we hear.

Unless Chet found more pregnant ladies really, really soon after.

SM

There looks like there's three Aliens plus Chet after Wolf gets belted with the tail (in the shot of them starting to crawl through the pipe).

One goes to the diner.  Another goes to the power plant.  Does the one from the diner then go to the pool?  And another is killing Tim.  And just after Morales and Dallas leave the pool they can't already contact the police station.  This is before Carrie pops.

SiL

Quote from: SM on Feb 08, 2019, 04:43:22 AM
One goes to the diner.  Another goes to the power plant.  Does the one from the diner then go to the pool?  And another is killing Tim.  And just after Morales and Dallas leave the pool they can't already contact the police station.  This is before Carrie pops.
Man, I've been working from the script for the timing, which at least puts Carrie popping before the police station getting weird reports.

The communications shutoff was said to be from the army (according to the directors) ... but the army doesn't know of the Aliens until the national guard shows up, which isn't until after the phones stop working.

Huggs

I just enjoy it for what it is.

Alien needs to make sense. Predator needs to make sense. But I can live with AVP being alittle implausible if it comes to it.

SM

Quote from: SiL on Feb 08, 2019, 04:45:11 AM
Quote from: SM on Feb 08, 2019, 04:43:22 AM
Man, I've been working from the script for the timing, which at least puts Carrie popping before the police station getting weird reports.

The communications shutoff was said to be from the army (according to the directors) ... but the army doesn't know of the Aliens until the national guard shows up, which isn't until after the phones stop working.

I did wonder if the comms drop out was the army - but given the timing... why?

Surely the police station would have a backup generator for the power outage.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: SiL on Feb 08, 2019, 04:33:45 AM
Unless Chet found more pregnant ladies really, really soon after.

I wonder if Chet can smell them out. You would imagine so, if they're essential to reproduce. Unless of course, pregnant ladies are not essential, and just preferred, due to their maximum buster real estate.

SiL

Quote from: SM on Feb 08, 2019, 04:49:39 AM
I did wonder if the comms drop out was the army - but given the timing... why?
The police station may be the Aliens, but don't they mention the phones not working around that time?

I really don't want to have to rewatch this thing.

SM

Just before they encounter Darcy, Morales phone shows 'no signal'.

SiL

Which is before the army is even aware of the Aliens.

God damn this movie is terrible.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed