Aliens: Dark Descent

Started by BlueMarsalis79, Jun 09, 2022, 06:09:08 PM

Author
Aliens: Dark Descent (Read 45,995 times)

Nukiemorph

Nukiemorph

So bizarre seeing Alien as part of that montage...

RidgeTop

RidgeTop

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 15, 2022, 09:12:18 PMI guess this is where we'll be getting the info we missed from SDCC!

Wasn't that for the Survios game, rather than Dark Descent? Hopefully we'll be seeing both.

Kailem

Kailem

Oh yeah, I think you're right (I was thinking the same as Hicks).

Regardless they show footage of the Dark Decent trailer in that promo, and I remember seeing the key art for the Survios game in a tweet that was talking about this event, so I feel like there's a good chance we'll see and/or hear about both.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: RidgeTop on Aug 16, 2022, 06:17:44 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 15, 2022, 09:12:18 PMI guess this is where we'll be getting the info we missed from SDCC!

Wasn't that for the Survios game, rather than Dark Descent? Hopefully we'll be seeing both.

You're quite right. That was for the VR game. My bad. Either way, I'm happy seeing more of either game! :D

Still Collating...

Still Collating...

I'm really hopeful for more info on Dark Decent, really excited for that!

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Via Xenomorphing.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Can't wait to take a look at this when I get home.

Vrastal

Vrastal

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 17, 2022, 09:19:04 AM
Quote from: RidgeTop on Aug 16, 2022, 06:17:44 PM

You're quite right. That was for the VR game. My bad. Either way, I'm happy seeing more of either game! :D

those were clips form dark descent though, and theres no trailer for the vr game as far as im aware

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Stress huh? Like Alien The RPG, and snow, and jungle! @Corporal Hicks Jungle Hive? At last?

Corporal Hicks

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

QuoteMost different is movement, which is both real-time and free-form, meaning you don't have time to think about decision-making in the same way and movement takes place in full 3D as opposed to on a grid. This ramps up the pressure as your marines push through cramped corridors, making use of motion trackers (this is the Alien universe, after all) to keep track of where aliens are stalking. You can get jumped at any time, and there's no turns or pausing to save you.

f**k yes. 

QuoteMotion trackers are used to great effect to this end. There's two kinds of motion tracker - the iconic alien classic, which sits in the corner of your screen at all times as a UI element that tracks the area immediately around your marines, and a deployable item that can be tossed out anywhere on the map. Between the two of them, you can have a constant read of what is around you, both near and further away - which is handy, but only lasts so long. The Xenomorphs will find and destroy your deployable motion trackers - and once they do, you'll be paranoid that one is lurking around every corner.

Oh spooky! I love this idea! And it is a neat incorporation of both approaches to the motion tracker we have seen in prior Alien media. 

QuoteWith lots of motion trackers placed, you can see dots representing the deadly aliens darting about, up and down corridors, patrolling rooms, and actively searching for your squad. There's full-blown alert states - so when the enemy knows where you are, reinforcements will try to chase you down until you can lose them. Your party of marines will have to do things like weld shut airlock doors in order to block off aliens - but that'll also change your own path through the base.

Sounds stressful, in a good way. 

QuoteThere's a lot of tactics to manage, too. You've got a squad of four that can be any of six different classes, each with abilities, weapons, and skills to consider. The two key stats to manage are health and stress - the former familiar and the latter a representation of the sanity of your marines. The more stressed they are, the worse their performance will be - topping out in outright panic, where a Marine is rendered practically useless.
Combat is real time, but you can slow things to a crawl, allowing orders to be issued. This also has the bonus of looking extremely cool. If you set up an ambush in a doorway, watching a hail of bullets slow-mo slam into a Xenomorph is extremely satisfying.

Are the six classes, Gunner, Demolisher, Technician, Doc, Recon and Phalanx?  ;D

newbeing

newbeing

Liking what I am hearing. The stressed AI marines reminds me of a similar proposed mechanic in the PS2 Colonial Marines game.

ED-E

ED-E

The base building got me intrigued. I would like to have the stress of managing a small team with limited resources stranded on a Xenomorph planet. Trying to survive, like the 17 days in Aliens, before a rescue ship arrives to pick them up. Looking forward to the slo-mo speed setting, as my reaction time (I'm in my 40s) has become mediocre at best these days.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

I am in my twenties and will be doing the same to be honest.

Kailem

Kailem

I really like the sound of it being a persistent world and that you can revisit certain areas and stuff like doors that you welded shut the last time will still be that way. And jungle locations? Very nice!

I also really like the XCOM comparisons about returning to your base/crashed ship between missions and building it up. As fun as the actual missions in XCOM were, I also really enjoyed the base building aspects too, so that could be a lot of fun.

Hope we get to do what you could do in that game and build ourselves an Alien containment facility and bring some xenos back to study too!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed