AvPGalaxy Exclusive: Details on The Predator Reshoots!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jul 06, 2018, 12:03:56 PM

Author
AvPGalaxy Exclusive: Details on The Predator Reshoots! (Read 52,645 times)

Dusk

The problem wasn't that they took influences from the comics. The problem was that they completely butchered the source material. AvP may have taken influences from the comics, but other than literally pitting Predators against Aliens, and having a female protagonist, the Movie was nothing like the comics that started it all.

Danversity

Speaking of which I'd love to see a Predator movie having a female protagonist for a change. I love Isabelle in Predators, and I'm really liking what I've seen of Casey so far, but it'd be great to have an actual female protagonist for once.

OpenMaw

They took a few more things from the comics than that, but without their original context they lack a lot of the punch and meaning.

When Broken Tusk and Machiko do battle with the alien hive, come out the other side, and Tusk's last act is to mark her, it felt far more earned than with Alexa and Scar. Scar just isn't Broken Tusk, and Alex just isn't Machiko. (Lathan's wooden and campy performance doesn't help.)

For example. The queen being tied down. Yeah, the whole mechanism is almost wholesale from the comic. Great. Well done. Problem.

The Predators kept the queen on lock down in an isolated environment (their ship) to ensure that what happens in the movie doesn't happen. The queen had to find a craftier way to sneak one of her royal brethen past the Predators to screw up their hunt. The Predator's didn't want a queen to spring up on their hunts. They wanted it to be equal numbers aliens to predators, because aliens are hearty adversaries and tend to kill Predators dead as dillinger.

In the movie the queen's escape just makes the Predator's look stupid, and has me asking why the Aliens hadn't managed to break her out before this? Nothing changed from previous hunts as far as I can tell. The queen just finally decides "I've had enough of this shit."

yautjapet

I love Machiko and Dachande, and it's a shame we'll never get to see the "real" characters and their story on-screen since so much was lifted for AvP. Though Machiko (or a newly created character very much like her) could still be used in another way, and I'd be totally down to see that. Personally, though, I'd be interested to see the ensemble casts that seem standard for Predator movies trimmed down altogether, to focus on just a couple human protagonists from the beginning rather than one left standing after the rest have been picked off.

PredBabe

PredBabe

Quote from: yautjapet on Jul 08, 2018, 09:12:41 PM
Though Machiko (or a newly created character very much like her) could still be used in another way, and I'd be totally down to see that.

I mean... there is Casey...

I've honestly never seen Olivia Munn act but she at least has the looks, being part Japanese and all. Of course using her character wouldn't fit into any proper timeline if they really try to make any future AVP installments more consistent with the Alien series. Unless they did a whole Predators route where humans are abducted and aliens are also on a hunting planet. Though that doesn't sound nearly as good as other concepts floating around out there, I'd prefer something to take place amongst a colony in space.

Danversity

Quote from: PredBabe on Jul 08, 2018, 09:18:48 PM
Though Machiko (or a newly created character very much like her) could still be used in another way, and I'd be totally down to see that.

I've honestly never seen Olivia Munn act but she at least has the looks, being part Japanese and all. Of course using her character wouldn't fit into any proper timeline if they really try to make any future AVP installments more consistent with the Alien series. Unless they did a whole Predators route where humans are abducted and aliens are also on a hunting planet. Though that doesn't sound nearly as good as other concepts floating around out there, I'd prefer something to take place amongst a colony in space.

She's part Chinese actually, but yeah.

PredBabe

Quote from: Danversity on Jul 08, 2018, 09:49:19 PM
Quote from: PredBabe on Jul 08, 2018, 09:18:48 PM

She's part Chinese actually, but yeah.

Oh... well at least one of us did our research!  :P

Danversity

Haha

I've only seen Olivia in a couple of films, but what I saw, I liked, so I'm excited to see her in this.

The Shuriken

Hey wait a second. If the APC battle is completely removed from the film due to the reshoots, why was it in the first trailer?

skull-splitter

Quote from: The Shuriken on Jul 08, 2018, 10:12:36 PM
Hey wait a second. If the APC battle is completely removed from the film due to the reshoots, why was it in the first trailer?
First come the reshoots, then editing. That's where the final film is made.

The Shuriken

Quote from: skull-splitter on Jul 08, 2018, 10:16:20 PM
Quote from: The Shuriken on Jul 08, 2018, 10:12:36 PM
First come the reshoots, then editing. That's where the final film is made.

Even the newest trailer has bits of it. They better start cutting that out before everyone realizes several bits of action are just suddenly not there.

Kinda like the whole Hulk being at the final battle of Wakanda in Infinity War.

Nathsp

The only better news I imagine is to remove shane black from the movie, he has done one of the worse mcu movies, he destroyed the mandarin..
Im happy they put out that predator in pants no sense, hope they remove all the conquer dna splice mess as well.
I keep reading people disliking they remove the '' new'' stuf, but new doesnt mean good, is like if you go to the mechanic to change yout wheels and he decided to put square wheels instead, it doesnt work, its dumb, but ey, its new, never seen, unexpected, thats shanes black new' takes'' on things..
I would even remove the upgrade, in the trailer it even look dumber that I was tought when I readed it.
Please make a decent movie, dont ruin years of amazing canon...

The Old One

The Old One

Hot take;

There was nothing to ruin with the racist comic book character of the Mandarin and Iron Man 3 has very inventive action sequences.

Shane Black's other work has also been exceptional in many cases, more often than not.

Esteemed filmmakers trying new things I'd always rather see than an obsessively monitored canon that allows for nothing interesting. See modern Star Wars.

426Buddy

Totally agree Old One.

I had no special close relationship with the comic book Mandarin. So it didnt bother me that he was reimagined for IM3, it was actually a clever twist. I also quite enjoyed Tony's battle with PTSD and his realization that he, not some metal suit, is Iron Man.

In anycase, Shane Black is a good writer/Director with a strong track record.

OpenMaw

The Mandarin stuff in Iron Man 3 was great. That was really the only way to handle that character for a modern audience. Really, that would have been terrible had they tried to replicate that from the comic. Besides that's not what the movie is really about, it's about Tony Stark and his PTSD. Which is all great.

There's not wrong with Shane Black. Remember, this wasn't his script, so I can only imagine he's at least partially responsible for getting the changes done that needed to happen. One of the actors said that Shane basically filmed a dozen different versions of the movie and the idea is to make the best movie out of pieces of all of them. In other words, he basically shot many takes of scenes to get different tones so he can balance everything later. That's great.

On the subject of new things. There's lot's of ways to have new things in these movies. I don't think having Predators wielding M60s and wearing glorified paintball gear, and getting trounced on, is a good idea. I don't think Predator spiders and Predator half breeds that look like tentacular nightmares are a good way to go.

There's plenty of very interesting things to do on the narrative side with the people involved in these situations that you could continue a story, expand a narrative, and not succumb to the endless tired traps that a lot of these franchises fall into.

I truly believe the most logical, organic way forward is something akin to X-Com. These movies keep alluding to this idea, but they never explore it, and it would be the better way to go than to try and make more and more sub species and mutations of the Predator creature. They're already individuals in terms of their designs.

Hell, if you want to do a big Predator-filled feature. How about a Predator "gang war" on Earth? Two tribes slaughtering each other during a huge heat wave?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed