Alien: Isolation

Started by newbeing, Oct 21, 2013, 12:11:03 PM

Author
Alien: Isolation (Read 68,388 times)

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

You know dem WY guys..........they can never be evil enough.

They are so evil that when they do illegal black operations they wear WY issued body armor with the logo emblazoned on them and carry all their gear in WY crates unloaded from WY shuttles launched from WY ftl starships.  At least when the US Army does something illegal it removes the stars and stripes from its shoulder.

WY gives no f**ks when it comes to secrecy and their evil deeds because they are just that badass.

windebieste

windebieste

Quote from: SM on Oct 24, 2013, 03:45:53 AM
They could've done a Newt thing as a DLC for A:CM I reckon, involving the woman colonist the marines find.

Great idea!  Why didn't I think of that... You could have multiple outcomes, if you get caught by the aliens, you get cocooned; or survive long enough until the marines arrive, and Newt wouldn't be the only survivor.

...on the other hand, if the SDK was released, I wouldn't just be thinking it, I would be actively working on it.

Mind you.  Newt based stealth game would still work as a full game.  Open world environment of the colony, different areas to unlock as you progress, aliens always trying to get at you.  Day/night cycling affects number and types of xenos roaming around.  Food scarcity, hunger, and sleep game mechanics would be needed. 

I'm thinking of atmosphere, tension, story, vulnerability and survival as player achievement necessary to progress the game.  Obviously, 'PEW PEW! PEW!' game play has been done to death with the franchise.  It's time we had a real horror show, throw the girl into peril, I say; and you share her experience! 

What's so dull about that? 

-Windebieste.

SM

SM

It just sounds like a boring game to play for long periods (hence why I think it'd work better for a mini game).  "Day 7 - It was just awesome when I opened that door and found some donuts!!!  Except one was half eaten.  What a waste.  Probably 'cos it was all wet."

Plus add in the fact that I find the whole concept of Newt deliberately evading the Aliens kinda hokey anyway.  They'd need to think up a better reason than 'She can go places the Aliens can't fit'.  If an Alien can't fit some place, it makes that place bigger so it CAN fit.

Dowly

Dowly

I would be happy with Amnesia style "run & hide" gameplay for the next Alien game. Make the player feel actually threatened by the aliens instead of giving him 250kg's of weaponry.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Sounds like that's precisely what they planned, with the added bonus of realising it's going to get boring when played that way for long periods and needing something additional for the player to do (which, in a survival situation, typically pans out to shooting).

Better way to have done it might have been in an open sandbox environment, like a city or jungle - but at that point, you'd be wondering why they didn't just role-reverse and let you have the fun of playing the Alien, instead.

Greedo

Greedo

OMG !!!

Based on first Alien :D

cannot wait for this :D

PsyKore

PsyKore

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Oct 24, 2013, 07:04:14 AM
Sounds like that's precisely what they planned, with the added bonus of realising it's going to get boring when played that way for long periods and needing something additional for the player to do (which, in a survival situation, typically pans out to shooting).

I dunno, I thought games like Amnesia, and more recently Outlast, were thrilling games for their whole duration. The only problem with those style of games, though, is that they have next to no replayability. Although, a more non-linear approach with random spawning aliens could fix that. As well as perhaps making it possible for people to create their own maps and such.

A flamethrower might be cool to have at some point in the game, though. But it should just make the Aliens retreat and look for another way to attack you rather than it being an easy way to kill them. IMO.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Oh, that's fine for an independent title (and I think someone has already done something along the lines of 'Dallas through the air ducts for as long as can be survivable'), but something like this is going to have a proper budget allocated to it, which means trying to think up lots of content filler. If you just want a bare bones concept, there isn't very much extra you can realistically put in there. This isn't the kind of thing where you're trapped in a maze and need to out-run a timer. It's going to have an attempt at a story, characterisation, different levels, maps and so on: Objective-based. If you're doing nothing but trying to evade an Alien, over and over and over and again, I'm not sure that's going to retain many peoples' interest. Not in the kind of numbers this will need for sales.

Besides, if it was a simplistic formula, it would have been released by now (assuming this is one and the same as creative Assembly have been doing) - or we would have at least been given a lot more publicity about it.

I suspect that people need to start picturing this as a generic shoot-'em-up with an Alien playing the part of a serial killer in the background.

PRJ_since1990

PRJ_since1990

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Oct 25, 2013, 07:33:19 PM
Oh, that's fine for an independent title (and I think someone has already done something along the lines of 'Dallas through the air ducts for as long as can be survivable'), but something like this is going to have a proper budget allocated to it, which means trying to think up lots of content filler. If you just want a bare bones concept, there isn't very much extra you can realistically put in there. This isn't the kind of thing where you're trapped in a maze and need to out-run a timer. It's going to have an attempt at a story, characterisation, different levels, maps and so on: Objective-based. If you're doing nothing but trying to evade an Alien, over and over and over and again, I'm not sure that's going to retain many peoples' interest. Not in the kind of numbers this will need for sales.

Besides, if it was a simplistic formula, it would have been released by now (assuming this is one and the same as creative Assembly have been doing) - or we would have at least been given a lot more publicity about it.

I suspect that people need to start picturing this as a generic shoot-'em-up with an Alien playing the part of a serial killer in the background.
You know, I wouldn't mind a version of Slender the Ten Pages, but with an Alien as the hazardous figure you're trying to evade. The idea could be similar in that you have to traverse the Nostromo and get to the necessary areas to perform a quick action (the Narcissus shuttle to start it, the main control room to start the self-destruct, etc.) with only the limited motion detector they used (and only found Jones) while running from the Alien. Just like the screen gets fuzzy when the Slender man gets near, the detector hums louder and louder when the xeno is near.

In any case, I'm hoping that this game will give me chills when I play it. I want to be afraid. I want that same nightmare-inducing-eye-covering-pure-terrorized feeling that watching Alien years ago (when I was 5-6).

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

I'd much rather leave Amanda Ripley out of this as I believe it was the intention of Cameron that she lived a normal life.

I prefer the idea of throwing in a new main character (civilian) in a setting between the events of the Destruction of the Nostomo and the finding of Ellen Ripley and before the colonist arrive to LV-426 (20 years before Ellen is found), starting things with the same distress signal on LV-426. But at the same time not being in line with the movie franchise plot, just being it's own separate "branch".

The reason I want a completely new protagonist (civilian) is so that throughout the game you're forced to make choices that will effect your fate in the end. If we used Amanda as the main character than we already know she lives.

And I don't want tons of aliens like in an "Aliens" scenario, the less the better especially with people getting tired of results like A:CM. The aliens though few in number, would give both lore reasons and in-game reasons to avoid them as much as you can.

Jarac

Jarac

Well... at least I won't be getting my hopes up like A:CM. This shit sounds laughably bad!  :laugh:

Amanda Riplay... they REALLY can't let Ripley go, can they? Dammit, nothing new; just re-hashing the same-ol-story. What a waste. 

SM

SM

Base it on Tim Lebbon's new book and we can haz da rell Ripleez!!!

Elicas

Elicas

Unnecessary forced tie in to former popular movies? Check (ala Hicks).
Shooting of generic clones/WY-Security? Check (ala Every Aliens FPS since the 90's).
Studio has released rushed, buggy mess that doesn't work on a wide variety of systems and looks significantly different to the pre-release footage, which was slammed by fans upon release and has had to have been significantly overhauled with post release patches? Check (Rome II)

While you can argue it's a different part of CA, their track record with 'other' releases (Viking and Spartan Warrior) isn't good (they both stank) and it looks eerily similar to the general outline of how A:CM went.

Colour me f**king cynically interested to see how hard it flops.

I'm glad I didn't pre-order A:CM (and still havn't bought it yet), I certainly wont be preordering this.

Gate

Gate

Why oh why did Crucible get canned :(

predxeno

predxeno

Maybe A:CM had something to do with it, it was the reason AVP2010 turned out to be such a flop.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed