50 Cent in The Predator?

Started by biggymac, Apr 05, 2016, 11:49:37 PM

Author
50 Cent in The Predator? (Read 47,508 times)

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Not sure what that fella was reading but here are the comments Black has made regarding reboots/sequels/his reluctant involvement:

"As far as Fred and I are concerned anyway, why start over, when you've all this rich mythology yet to mine?"  Black said he doesn't like reboots generally, but can "really get behind inventive sequels", noting that he likes "the idea of expanding and exploring the existing Predator mythology, rather than hitting the restart button. He went on to say that Dekker, who's writing the screenplay, is "perfect" for the project, adding the two had a blast writing the screenplay for The Monster Squad together."

http://www.avpgalaxy.net/2014/06/25/shane-black-predator-sequel-reboot/

"They called me and I was reluctant. I said, "Look. You guys at Fox, I mean, I enjoy these movies, but we've been churning out these AVP whatever, they each cost a certain amount of money, they're okay, but there's no effort to elevate them or make them any kind of an event." They're just sort of another Predator. "Oh, there's another one that came out." They said, "What if we said to you we want to reinvent this, and really treat it with as much of an event status, or as much hoopla as we would the Alien prequel, which is coming out also? We really want to make this something. The kind of movie that people line up for." I said, "Really, you'll spend a bunch of money?" They go, "Yep." I go, "Make it really scale, spectacle?" "Yep." "Shit, that sounds interesting."

http://www.avpgalaxy.net/2016/03/23/the-predator-to-be-an-event-film/

Johnny Handsome

Johnny Handsome

I think people are overestimating the term Reboot.

Yes, it will be an inventive Sequel, but it will be a reboot in the way that it is probably designed to spawn more movies/a new franchise opportunity and is easily accessible to People who have never seen a Predator movie before.

Therefore it's a reboot, a try to get the Franchise going full steam again and regain interest, but a Sequel in the way that they don't write anything over that has been established to get longtime fans involved.

Really, it's not that hard to understand guys.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I think it's just general confusion over the term.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Johnny Handsome on Apr 08, 2016, 09:28:55 AMTherefore it's a reboot.

No it isn't. Because that's not what a reboot is.

Reboot means wiping the slate totally clean and starting afresh. It's derived from the term used in computing, which means to turn everything off and start again from scratch.

If it's a sequel, by definition it's not a reboot.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 08, 2016, 09:30:49 AMI think it's just general confusion over the term.

This. The media throws the term reboot around all the time when it doesn't apply.

Johnny Handsome

Johnny Handsome

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Apr 08, 2016, 09:31:17 AM
Quote from: Johnny Handsome on Apr 08, 2016, 09:28:55 AMTherefore it's a reboot.

No it isn't. Because that's not what a reboot is.

Reboot means wiping the slate totally clean and starting afresh.
That's a Remake.

The new Star Wars was a reboot, the new Jurassic World was a reboot in the way that they both started the two franchises again. Lets have a look at the Definition of that term really, if you reboot/restart your Computer for example, is everything going to be lost and completely different? No, It just means that you shut if off and put it back on, giving it a fresh start but going on with existing things.

Therefore, FOX completely sees this a reboot, like Producer John Davis said in 2013, he would like to reboot Predator again, that's what they are doing now, that doesn't mean they write everything over that has happened though.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Johnny Handsome on Apr 08, 2016, 09:39:06 AMThat's a Remake.

No it isn't. A reboot can be a remake but it doesn't necessarily have to be. Batman Begins was a reboot because it wiped out all the previous Batman movies, but it wasn't a remake of any of them.

Quote from: Johnny Handsome on Apr 08, 2016, 09:39:06 AMThe new Star Wars was a reboot, the new Jurassic World was a reboot in the way that they both started the two franchises again.

No they weren't. They were sequels. They continued from the previous films. The fact they've renewed interest is incidental.

Johnny Handsome

Johnny Handsome

QuoteNo it isn't. A reboot can be a remake but it doesn't necessarily have to be.
If a reboot can be a Remake, why can't a reboot be a Sequel also? The one Option doesn't exluce the other one, you just see things in black and white, there is more to it though.

QuoteNo they weren't. They were sequels. They continued from the previous films. The fact they've renewed interest is incidental.
Nothing is incidental in Hollywood, and more than ever if you spend 250 Million Dollars on a product, a product that is designed to gain interest and to get asses into seats. How do you do that? Right, you include everyone, fans and people who have never seen a Star Wars or JP movie, and you do that by starting fresh, yet with elements from the past, but just enough so new People don't get confused. That's what a reboot distinguishes itself from a "true Sequel", that is mostly designed to give an existing fanbase more of the same.

John Davis said that Predator 2 was a reboot for example, yet it was a Sequel, Predators was a reboot and was advertised as such by it's Producer, yet it was a Sequel. You see? Yes, the term reboot can mean they start fresh, but in 90 % of the cases it just means they start a long shorted franchise again.

That's why they will call it The Predator and not Predator 4, and not Jurassic Park 4 but Jurassic World and the Thing Prequel was simply The Thing etc. Those are/were all reboots designed to dust off franchises, yet were Sequels/Prequels.
Batman Begins was a reboot because it wiped out all the previous Batman movies, but it wasn't a remake of any of them.
You could also say they were Remakes though, why? Because, while not in particular remaking any of the other movies, they remade the start of the Batman character. Just because the two movies are profoundly different doesn't exclude the fact that there was a Batman movie, yet they decied to scuff that and remake/redo it.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Johnny Handsome on Apr 08, 2016, 10:10:25 AMIf a reboot can be a Remake, why can't a reboot be a Sequel also?

Because the two are mutually exclusive terms. A sequel continues a story, or at least tells another related story that happened subsequently, whereas a reboot scrubs everything previous and starts afresh. You can't do both simultaneously.

Quote from: Johnny Handsome on Apr 08, 2016, 10:10:25 AMYou could also say they were Remakes though, why? Because, while not in particular remaking any of the other movies, they remade the start of the Batman character.

Batman Begins wasn't a remake because the origins of Batman had never been done in any of the preceding Batman feature films. It was a completely original story. A remake is just a redo of the same basic story. It may differ in the details, but you're essentially recreating something that's already been done, which Batman Begins didn't do.

Johnny Handsome

Johnny Handsome

QuoteBecause the two are mutually exclusive terms. A sequel continues a story, or at least tells another related story that happened subsequently, whereas a reboot scrubs everything previous and starts afresh. You can't do both simultaneously.
So why are you saying that Jurassic World was a Sequel only then? It didn't continue an existing Story and was by it's ground an completely original idea that has never been done before.
So didn't Predators... something is not working here.

And why was Predators a reboot and was openly advertised a such yet didn't write anything over? For you, a reboot can only be labeled a such when it completely writes over everything that has come before it, yet none of the examples indicates that.

QuoteIt was a completely original story.
So was Jurassic World, Terminator Genisys, the new Star Wars... you don't really understand what i want to express, the term reboot is not so much in it's execution, but it starts in the very idea of Studio exects going "what should we do with it and what is the Goal, should we just do a Sequel to a movie maybe nobody gives a shit for, or should we do a reboot that is it's own thing without contradicting the past?".

For you, a reboot is automatically a radical obliteration of an existing Franchise and starting over, but the past had us teached that this is simply not the case.

We won't agree here, let's just move on with the original thread.

For me, this is clearly a reboot of the Franchise that has been dead in the water for 8 years by the time the movie comes out, for you, it's simply a Sequel, fine.

overthere

overthere

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Apr 08, 2016, 06:43:55 AM

The same way I went to see Batman Begins by tossing the Burton 1989 Batman moving out of my mind from watching, that's how. Hell, you could even say the same for Batman 89 by tossing Batman 66 out of your mind when you watch it. Point is, I could judge something on it's own merits.. as an entirely stand alone interpretation.

Batman is originally a comic book and movies are it's adaptations. You can make a million of adaptations which are not related to each other, but have the same source material. Predator is it's own source material, there's nothing else to fall back on to reinterpret differently.

Not every reboot does everything which the originals do. I could name a few reboots which are vastly different from the original films... Batman Begins, Dredd, Godzilla 2014, Amazing Spider-Man, King Kong 1976. Just a few. Sure, the core elements are the same but the scenes and some ideas are different.

Same thing here. All those have the same source material which their interpret in a different way. In this case, Predator is the source material and there's no need to change it.

So you want me to go with the mentality everyone has?

No, I'm just curious about it because your argument makes more sense for the opposite view.

As for the Reboot/Remake argument, I sort of see how a sequel could be a reboot if it kick-starts a franchise again. If 30 years after the original a sequel comes that spawns a few more sequels, I'd call that a reboot cause it started the whole thing again. But that may not be the definition of reboot, as it usually means it wipes everything and starts from the beginning like the original never happened.

A remake would be something like scene by scene copy of the original, only this time with updated effects and stuff like that.

But NO ONE would want to see an actual remake of Predator, with someone else playing any one of those classic characters.

Luckily this new movie is confirmed to be a sequel so there's no debate here.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Johnny Handsome on Apr 08, 2016, 10:58:12 AMSo why are you saying that Jurassic World was a Sequel only then? It didn't continue an existing Story and was by it's ground an completely original idea that has never been done before.

You've completely ignored the part about "another related story that happened subsequently". Jurassic World is clearly a sequel, because a) it obviously takes place after the first one, building on the same fictional location, and b) things like Ian Malcolm's book are in it, which were only ever mentioned in the preceding sequels, so clearly they happened too. Even if it ignored the intervening sequels (which is doesn't), that doesn't mean they never happened. 99% of the pre-Daniel Craig Bond movies don't reference the previous film(s), it doesn't mean each and every one of them was a reboot.

Quote from: Johnny Handsome on Apr 08, 2016, 10:58:12 AMSo didn't Predators... something is not working here.

Characters in Predators specifically talk about the events of the fist movie, so obviously a sequel.

Quote from: Johnny Handsome on Apr 08, 2016, 10:58:12 AMFor you, a reboot can only be labeled a such when it completely writes over everything that has come before it.

Because that is what a reboot is. It's not my fault the media throws the term around without a clue as to what it actually means. It's not like it would be the first time. The examples I've given (e.g. Batman Begins) are reboots.

Quote from: Johnny Handsome on Apr 08, 2016, 10:58:12 AMSo was Jurassic World, Terminator Genisys, the new Star Wars...

Ignoring for a second all the people who called those films out for not being terribly original stories... None of those in any way discarded anything previous, and in fact all three openly acknowledge and build on the proceeding films. Ergo: sequels.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

How did the Jurassic World reboot/sequel debate leak into this thread... omg 50 cent is going to be riding a dinosaur in The Predator!

Johnny Handsome

Johnny Handsome

Like i said, we just won't agree on this.

A Reboot for me is a movie, Sequel or not, that is designed to feel like it's the first in the series, whether or not it acknowledges the previous entrys, and any of the examples i named are exactly that kind of movies. Yes they are Sequels, but each one of them are designed for people who have never seen any of the previous entrys, that, by todays Standards, is a reboot in my book.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Johnny Handsome on Apr 08, 2016, 12:52:08 PMA Reboot for me is a movie, Sequel or not, that is designed to feel like it's the first in the series, whether or not it acknowledges the previous entrys, and any of the examples i named are exactly that kind of movies.

Ignoring the fact that is fundamentally not what the word means... But OK.

Johnny Handsome

Johnny Handsome

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Apr 08, 2016, 12:58:20 PM
Quote from: Johnny Handsome on Apr 08, 2016, 12:52:08 PMA Reboot for me is a movie, Sequel or not, that is designed to feel like it's the first in the series, whether or not it acknowledges the previous entrys, and any of the examples i named are exactly that kind of movies.

Ignoring the fact that is fundamentally not what the word means... But OK.
It's maybe not exactly what the term means, but that's what the studios use the word for... and that's really the point of the whole argument here.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed