Dark Horse To Reboot Comic Series

Started by Corporal Hicks, Oct 10, 2013, 08:24:08 PM

Author
Dark Horse To Reboot Comic Series (Read 270,739 times)

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Xenomrph on Apr 25, 2014, 12:58:22 AM
My money's on it being a "relaunch" just like the DH Press novels were, despite them being billed as a "reboot".

Just like the damn Hish mythos.  >:(

happypred

happypred

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Apr 24, 2014, 06:44:49 PMAt least, I hope it is depending on their answers at the fan Q&A.

Part of me doesn't mind a well-executed reboot...but part of me doesn't want to the Yautja mythos to be totally disregarded. The 2009 relaunch was a disappointment not because there was something wrong with the existing mythos. It was a disappointment because of bad execution...poor art + mediocre story (atrocious art + lame story in the case of Three World War). 

RakaiThwei

Quote from: happypred on Apr 25, 2014, 03:39:09 AM
Part of me doesn't mind a well-executed reboot...but part of me doesn't want to the Yautja mythos to be totally disregarded. The 2009 relaunch was a disappointment not because there was something wrong with the existing mythos. It was a disappointment because of bad execution...poor art + mediocre story (atrocious art + lame story in the case of Three World War).

An inquiry was made about whether or not the decision to ignore the AvP films was a personal preference of the writers or a mandate issued by Fox. I would be pretty upset if it was definitely the latter because, and I am in the minority when I say this, liked the Alien vs Predator movies. Requiem, I understand it's faults and probably could do without and be fine with that, but the first AvP I thought was fine and had something going for it. Unpopular opinion but... I guess I needed to say it.

In regards to that as well, a question was asked if the AvP films were a separate timeline from the reboot comics. Honestly, I am hoping that they say "Yes" or even allow fans to interpret things as such.

As far as the Yautja mythos is concerned. An inquiry was definitely asked about that if the Yautja mythos was kept in mind or even the Hish mythos, or if the writers simply was going to be writing them as "Predators" without mentioning either. A question was regarded in mind for future stories if the Super Predators were going to be written as Yautja or Hish.

Right now, I am not sure how to feel about the comics but... the idea of them rebooting everything just to fit Prometheus in seems.. unnecessary in my opinion. But I would prefer a hard reboot then a shoe-horned retcon which is being marketed as a reboot.

The answers in the Q&A will help me decide if I'll buy or pass on these comics.

happypred

happypred

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Apr 25, 2014, 04:27:30 AMI am in the minority when I say this, liked the Alien vs Predator movies. Requiem, I understand it's faults and probably could do without and be fine with that, but the first AvP I thought was fine and had something going for it. Unpopular opinion but... I guess I needed to say it.

It's debatable whether Anderson's predators are Perry's Yautja. I'm more concerned that new series will totally disregard the Yautja mythos established by Prey

Corporal Hicks

The Yautja were only ever the AvP books. Never the comics - unless I'm misremembering them showing up somewhere. Hell, even 3WW specifically has them using sign language (and I'm sure War did too) rather than speaking in Predenese.

Whilst Forever Midnight did make the Hish over-the-top, Flesh and Blood handled them quite nicely and I much prefer the hunting for the thrill, rather than honor stuff.

I'm happy to see neither used again. Just give me a nice South China Sea kinda feel to the Predator POV stuff and I'll be estatic.

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

I would love a hard reboot in which everything is thrown out the window except the standalons films, all the corny crap is done away with.

Corporal Hicks

Me too. And I'd love a concerted effort to actually make it all work too.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 25, 2014, 01:06:41 PM
Just give me a nice South China Sea kinda feel to the Predator POV stuff and I'll be estatic.
Pretty much this. Just make them Predators and have them be interesting and fun to read about, and I think everyone will be happy.

happypred

happypred

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 25, 2014, 01:06:41 PMrather than speaking in Predenese.
Obviously Machiko would have a hard time speaking "Predenese" as she'd butcher the pronunciation. Even in the novels, she can only speak a few basic words and she uses a combination of sign language and very basic vocabulary. Keep in mind that Steve Perry only participated in the writing of Prey. Machiko never speaks "Predenese" in that novel.

If you're implying that throwing in a few "Predenese" terms is silly, I'd have to disagree. Though from a writer's perspective, you probably wouldn't want your predators to be speaking too much. 99% the speech between the predators (and inner monologue) in Prey is in English, not "Predenese", just like how the South China Sea predator's inner thoughts are all in English. All Perry really ever did was throw in a few "Predenese" terms for colour. Overall, he handled it quite well. I didn't find it corny or anything like that though some people may beg to differ

Ultramorph

Quote from: Xenomrph on Apr 25, 2014, 01:23:00 PM
Just give me a nice South China Sea kinda feel to the Predator POV stuff and I'll be estatic.
Pretty much this. Just make them Predators and have them be interesting and fun to read about, and I think everyone will be happy.

Agreed. My basic desire for these series is that they wind up telling a story that merits the length. Most of the previous times Dark Horse has tried "maxi-series" like this, the stories wound up not really justifying the number of issues dedicated to them.

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Erik Lehnsherr on Apr 25, 2014, 01:08:18 PM
I would love a hard reboot in which everything is thrown out the window except the standalons films, all the corny crap is done away with.

Agreed to a certain extent. I for one actually liked the old comics which were published up until 2010. Of course not counting the PREDATORS prequel and sequel comics-- seriously those comics were just... they are just better left forgotten at the bottom of a trash bin. Harsh as that is to say but I think I speak for everyone that we could all do without a four-armed Predator.

I would prefer a hard reboot because this would mean that I would have an easier means to ignore it if I don't like it, and keep true to the old stuff which seems to be discontinued and view it as alternate timelines or universes-- assuming certain things are kept in mind. I do remember Scott Allie saying that this was going to be a hard reboot, but then he goes onto say that it really isn't. So I don't know what that means but I hope that it's not a shoe-horned in retcon.

We had enough of shoe-horned in retcons as it is. Especially after with Colonial Marines.

The Yautja were only ever the AvP books. Never the comics - unless I'm misremembering them showing up somewhere.

The term Yautja is used in the AvP-R Blu-Ray Weyland-Yutani Archives which is written as in-universe document. So that kind of gives the whole Yautja concept further weight in the realm of the movies unless you discount it for whatever reason... And of course the PREDATORS behind the scenes featurette "Yautja Transformed" (Super Predators shouldn't be labeled as Yautja). And then of course there are the NECA Toys back stories but does anyone consider those canon aside from Xenomrph and PredXeno?

I'm happy to see neither used again. Just give me a nice South China Sea kinda feel to the Predator POV stuff and I'll be estatic.

I never really read South China Sea but I heard some glowing things about it, and by glowing I mean relatively good things. The Predator in that story was a monster, dodging bullets from a hundred riflemen, knocking over a military truck with a punch.. Of course while I never really read the book, I tended to lump that in with Yautja. Call it personal preference or personal canon..

I have a feeling that the Dark Horse writing team probably didn't look at the novels, and over-looked the Yautja or the Hish stuff. So they are probably written in as "Predators" but Williamson did say that they kept the honor aspect in mind. So for folks who want to ignore the honor aspect.. you might have a hard time trying to ignore that unless it's downplayed.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

"Yautja" is enough of a popular concept that it sort of supercedes just being in the novels - I've seen the term get thrown around on general pop-culture sites fairly regularly, so it's pretty apparent that non-Predator/AvP fans recognize that "Yautja" means "Predator" even if they've never read the novels.

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Apr 25, 2014, 11:07:29 PM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Apr 25, 2014, 10:53:34 PM
So it's pretty apparent that non-Predator/AvP fans recognize that "Yautja" means "Predator" even if they've never read the novels.

Not really.. I've been to plenty of Pop-Culture/Geek sites where a lot of people didn't know about the Yautja concept, and really don't know much of anything outside of the movies, sometimes.. not even seeing any movie but the first.

Xenomrph is correct IMO on this one, Yautja = Predator to me.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Erik Lehnsherr on Apr 25, 2014, 11:08:43 PM

I am in agreement with that.. But when it comes to the Super Predator, I don't like to think of them as Yautja. In fact it would make me feel a lot better if they were labeled something else instead of NECA labeling them as such.. Pisses me off.

I mean Noland's Wolf and Dog analogy seems to suggest they're not really the same thing. Closely related and probably descended from a common ancestor but not the same thing.

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Apr 25, 2014, 11:11:49 PM
Quote from: Erik Lehnsherr on Apr 25, 2014, 11:08:43 PM

I am in agreement with that.. But when it comes to the Super Predator, I don't like to think of them as Yautja. In fact it would make me feel a lot better if they were labeled something else instead of NECA labeling them as such.. Pisses me off.

I mean Noland's Wolf and Dog analogy seems to suggest they're not really the same thing. Closely related and probably descended from a common ancestor but not the same thing.

I'm not especially well versed in the EU but I thought they were called "Berserker" to make the distinction.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed