Alien - Inferno's Fall

Started by felix, Nov 27, 2021, 01:10:15 PM

Author
Alien - Inferno's Fall (Read 60,335 times)

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Nov 30, 2021, 02:42:56 AM
Unlike the Alien, the Black Goo is not cooked yet.

I wouldn't cook Black Goo. I bet the smell would be horrendous

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Kradan on Nov 30, 2021, 07:16:40 AM
Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Nov 30, 2021, 02:42:56 AM
Unlike the Alien, the Black Goo is not cooked yet.

I wouldn't cook Black Goo. I bet the smell would be horrendous

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Nov 30, 2021, 01:38:50 AM
Quote from: Stitch on Nov 29, 2021, 12:44:30 PM
Quote from: HuDaFuK on Nov 28, 2021, 10:35:14 AM
The Covenant prequel book.
Oh. I didn't think that one was too bad. Hell, I might even prefer it to the film.

I think it's actually a really nice sci-fi novel. It just would have benefited from being it's own thing, frankly.

I wouldn't go that far personally. It just jumped a shark with the exploding sheep. It had some truly interesting concepts with the cult and the visions - I just wished they'd have tied it into the franchise more with them being some sort of transmission from the Engineers or some other alien species that had come in contact with the Aliens.

My problems weren't about it not including the Aliens - it could have been tied in more effectively with the other alien aspects of the franchise. But it was just a meh book for me. The cult, as interesting as they were, weren't particularly effect in their attempts. Walter was barely in it. The rest of the crew was barely in it. It didn't quite fit with the film, or the promotional material. And we all wanted David and Shaw on Paradise anyway.

Quote from: SiL on Nov 30, 2021, 04:50:28 AM
O'Bannon liked the title for that reason, yes, but again, incredibly disingenuous to act like for 40 years you could've written about any alien organism and slapped the franchise branding on it and it would've been fine. The title always referred to the creature.

If it was a random alien, I'd perhaps see where you coming from a bit clearer, but it's not just any old random ET with Alien slapped on a cover. The Alien is related to the Pathogen, the Pathogen is related to the Engineers in some fashion or another. It's all still connected within the same story.

Nukiemorph

Nukiemorph

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 30, 2021, 09:18:55 AM
It just jumped a shark with the exploding sheep. It had some truly interesting concepts with the cult and the visions - I just wished they'd have tied it into the franchise more with them being some sort of transmission from the Engineers or some other alien species that had come in contact with the Aliens.
This is how I've always justified the psychics. I like to think it was a distress signal sent by the engineers on Planet 4 as David bombed them. Some humans are sensitive enough to pick up on this signal and they interpret it as a premonition of their own cities being overrun. The visions seemed vague enough for that, describing "black monsters flooding the streets" or something.

But I've probably put too much thought into it because the book was boring as hell anyway, and I don't remember any exploding sheep...

skhellter

skhellter

keep psychics and telepathy away from Alien forever, please.

This isn't WH40K.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: skhellter on Nov 30, 2021, 09:55:32 AM

This isn't WH40K.

Been here since the original Alien 3! It's been a part of the series so long, I'm just very used to it. It's why I have no issue with it.

Quote from: Nukiemorph on Nov 30, 2021, 09:51:10 AM
It just jumped a shark with the exploding sheep. It had some truly interesting concepts with the cult and the visions - I just wished they'd have tied it into the franchise more with them being some sort of transmission from the Engineers or some other alien species that had come in contact with the Aliens.
This is how I've always justified the psychics. I like to think it was a distress signal sent by the engineers on Planet 4 as David bombed them. Some humans are sensitive enough to pick up on this signal and they interpret it as a premonition of their own cities being overrun. The visions seemed vague enough for that, describing "black monsters flooding the streets" or something.

It's how it is in my headcanon, but something like it should have actually been in the book IMHO.

SiL

SiL

The Alien is related to the Pathogen, the Pathogen is related to the Engineers in some fashion or another. It's all still connected within the same story.
That, I've got no bones with. The semantics of "well it's just the word Alien so it can be whatever; it was never just about the creature", not so much.

There are lots of things connected within the universe that I like, that I would also feel cheated by if I picked up a book with Aliens on the title and saw that it focused solely on those elements. I just feel that if you're going to shift the primary threat away from the capital-A Alien and instead focus on the side elements you're agreeing with Scott that the beast itself is cooked and we might as well move on to something new without the baggage.

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 30, 2021, 10:15:03 AM

This isn't WH40K.

Been here since the original Alien 3! It's been a part of the series so long, I'm just very used to it. It's why I have no issue with it.

I just got excited that you also think that Runner was f**king with Golic's mind via telepathy ('cause that's a theory I subscribe to) ...

... but then I realised you were talking about DH comics

SiL

SiL

Resurrection touched on the concept too.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Kradan on Nov 30, 2021, 11:18:26 AM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 30, 2021, 10:15:03 AM

This isn't WH40K.

I just got excited that you also think that Runner was f**king with Golic's mind via telepathy ('cause that's a theory I subscribe to) ...

... but then I realised you were talking about DH comics

Mind screw and creatures, huh? seems like a perfect job for Mr. Hawley.  8)

Engineer

Engineer

Quote from: SiL on Nov 30, 2021, 06:51:21 AM
I mean that's one way Fox can get around any rights issues if the Predator situation doesn't resolve itself  :laugh:

Nah cuz the language there says "all derivative works" so they capture it all. For that, it's a question of whether a judge agrees or not...

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

For me, the goo gets a boo.

Kradan

Kradan

But Goo is so unpredictable and interesting ! One can say it's like

Spoiler
Voodoo Magic ?  ;)
[close]

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Kradan on Nov 30, 2021, 02:20:30 PM
But Goo is so unpredictable and interesting ! One can say it's like

Spoiler
Voodoo Magic ?  ;)
[close]

Well I definitely like that type of Magic. ;D

But for me, the more Alien becomes less about the Aliens, the more this IP loses its identity and subsequently becomes less special... and starts feeling like run-of-the-mill clones of other movies with their infected zombies and grotesque Thing-like abominations.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

You can do it much better than Infiltrator,  if you can dispense with the Abominations and more random feeling stuff, the Neomorphs I think personally have so much potential.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed