Marvel's First Alien Series Announced!

Started by Kailem, Dec 07, 2020, 07:22:32 PM

Author
Marvel's First Alien Series Announced! (Read 273,466 times)

RidgeTop

Quote from: SM on Mar 25, 2021, 11:18:23 PM
I think publicly shitting on one of his colourists and making sure everyone knew she was a woman might qualify?

Certainly not a good look. Frankly he's lucky he has a good colorist for this Alien comic.

Also has straight up stolen from DeviantArt. I like how they call it a "mistake."

https://screenrant.com/marvel-comics-error-deviant-art-canon-mistake/

As Voodoo said, I've been going down a rabbit hole lately, and yes, it is possible that this happened more under Dark Horse than we realized...

This was from a comic we really praised the art of as well.

I don't think all the criticism should be levied at the artists though, this is a big problem with the industry itself, crushing deadlines and all that.

But some artists like Land and Larroca seem particularly blatant about it, and that should also be called out.

SM

SM

Defo a trace job - so does that make three now?

Xiggz456

Quote from: RidgeTop on Mar 25, 2021, 11:50:08 PM
I think publicly shitting on one of his colourists and making sure everyone knew she was a woman might qualify?

Certainly not a good look. Frankly he's lucky he has a good colorist for this Alien comic.

Also has straight up stolen from DeviantArt. I like how they call it a "mistake."

As Voodoo said, I've been going down a rabbit hole lately, and yes, it is possible that this happened more under Dark Horse than we realized...

I don't think all the criticism should be levied at the artists though, this is a big problem with the industry itself, crushing deadlines and all that.

But some artists like Land and Larroca seem particularly blatant about it, and that should also be called out.

I don't think people understand how labor intensive it is to do 100+ pieces of art for a single issue comic in one month's time. Artists are going to cut corners or face missing deadlines which could lead to less opportunities down the line. But, unfortunately if this is something that's going to overly bother people than maybe they should just not read the comics.

Prez

Prez

Quote from: Xiggz456 on Mar 26, 2021, 12:58:59 AM

I don't think people understand how labor intensive it is to do 100+ pieces of art for a single issue comic in one month's time. Artists are going to cut corners or face missing deadlines which could lead to less opportunities down the line. But, unfortunately if this is something that's going to overly bother people than maybe they should just not read the comics.

Despite my previous comments on this whole situation ... you're absolutely spot on here!
I know how time consuming it was just to produce one hand drawn label for a bloody beer can recently.

Nightmare Asylum

Which is one of the major reasons I never actually complained when, say, Dead Orbit kept getting delays between issues. I was more than happy to wait longer for higher quality work. I wish fewer comics were locked into strict mostly release slots.

judge death

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Mar 26, 2021, 01:11:21 AM

Which is one of the major reasons I never actually complained when, say, Dead Orbit kept getting delays between issues. I was more than happy to wait longer for higher quality work. I wish fewer comics were locked into strict mostly release slots.
Same for 2000AD who delays instead and releases comics very often, judge dredd series is ongoing since the 1970s :P

Kimarhi

I guarantee it happened less back in the old DH days, because I remember one of the frequent complaints about old DH press comics was that they were never released on time for all kinds of different titles. 

So you are kind of working with a catch 22.  Take time and have better untraced art that might slow a whole project by a couple of months time, or cut corners and very obviously trace.

If I remember right Colonial Marines was a series that missed so many timelines/deadlines that they ended up chopping two issues off the ending because it was so hopelessly behind schedule. 

The comic just basically ends and everbody was asking about why that was, and DH was basically just like, "Oh, it was always supposed to be that way."  Despite it very obviously going from 12 issues to ten issues in the issue count.

Of course there are some artist that don't seem to have that problem, but those same artist aren't going to want to do work on the same title for the rest of their careers. 

Immortan Jonesy

I think there is no excuse, but I wonder if artists who work in the comic industry can build buffers.

Quote from: webcomicallianceYou've all heard about them, and if you've been in the game for a few years, you wonder if they're even achievable – I'm talking about the elusive buffer.

It's one of the most prized assets of comic artists who have a specific posting schedule. Perhaps you're one of those folks who post a page once a week and would love to be able to have an extra update in the can – in the event life happens to strike and ruins your schedule. Or perhaps you're part of the group of creators that posts 5 days a week and has that ultimate wish to have 3-5 days worth of strips on hand.

How to Build a Buffer ~

SM

SM

It's very intensive but they don't do the art on a month by month basis.  An actual artist can correct me, but as far as I can tell the they're a couple of issues ahead of the current issue with the artwork.

As for 2000AD, I don't know what it's like now but my old Dredd, Nemesis, Halo Jones et al comics are black and white, which may have made the process quicker.

judge death

SM: Judge dredd is for the most part now these days color and very realistic style, as example: nick percivals oncoming work, he post them on his facebook page when he finish them time to time, last couple of months he has done these:

Greg Staples dark justice page:

all of them handpainted on real paper.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: judge death on Mar 26, 2021, 01:34:52 AM

It looks like actress Abigail Breslin is being used as reference in that one.

Whiskeybrewer

Quote from: Kimarhi on Mar 26, 2021, 01:17:45 AM
I guarantee it happened less back in the old DH days, because I remember one of the frequent complaints about old DH press comics was that they were never released on time for all kinds of different titles. 

So you are kind of working with a catch 22.  Take time and have better untraced art that might slow a whole project by a couple of months time, or cut corners and very obviously trace.

If I remember right Colonial Marines was a series that missed so many timelines/deadlines that they ended up chopping two issues off the ending because it was so hopelessly behind schedule. 

The comic just basically ends and everbody was asking about why that was, and DH was basically just like, "Oh, it was always supposed to be that way."  Despite it very obviously going from 12 issues to ten issues in the issue count.

Of course there are some artist that don't seem to have that problem, but those same artist aren't going to want to do work on the same title for the rest of their careers.

Yeah i think they smooshed 5 issues of story into the final 3 issues of that.

I know its something thats not bound to happen, but i would love for a series to be completed or an arc to be completed before they put it out

SM

SM

Colonial Marines went off the rails after they left Joliet.

Quote from: judge death on Mar 26, 2021, 01:34:52 AM
SM: Judge dredd is for the most part now these days color and very realistic style, as example: nick percivals oncoming work, he post them on his facebook page when he finish them time to time, last couple of months he has done these:

Greg Staples dark justice page:
https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/hostedimages/1473535136i/20478339._SX540_.jpg

all of them handpainted on real paper.

Noice.

Immortan Jonesy

I wonder why people pay for this at all. At least those who are aware of the infamous and shameless practices
and are passionately complaining about it. And how many folks from here have bought this?  :laugh:

SM

SM

I haven't.

But I probably will at some point.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed