Marvel's First Alien Series Announced!

Started by Kailem, Dec 07, 2020, 07:22:32 PM

Author
Marvel's First Alien Series Announced! (Read 273,194 times)

SM

SM

QuoteSM: did you manage to sneak out and get the comic while tristian was on lunch break?

Don't want to risk it.  Might go digital.

Quote from: SpaceKase on Mar 24, 2021, 11:25:01 PM
Quote from: SM on Mar 24, 2021, 11:08:59 PM
QuoteSo the golden age of Alien Cultists thriving in the shadows of society and rampant access to banned xeno-biological materials for corporations to illegally experiment upon. Kinda right on the money era-wise with Kliest and his bugmen too. Though, once again, seriously doubt Marvel would pick up any DH threads, but a girl can dream.

Rogue was in 2203 and CM in 2215.

I also doubt Marvel would pick up any old DH stuff, but who knows?

Right, 2200-2203 same era. 2215 seems a bit far afield though, what lead you to decide to place it there?

Xeno-Zip is developed in Genocide in 2212.  CM has to happen after that.

SpaceKase

SpaceKase

Quote from: SM on Mar 25, 2021, 12:28:16 AM
Right, 2200-2203 same era. 2215 seems a bit far afield though, what lead you to decide to place it there?

Xeno-Zip is developed in Genocide in 2212.  CM has to happen after that.

Right you are about that Xeno-Zip reference in CM.  But the problem becomes that it makes Carmen Vasquez old as hell for her job. Like 45 or something and she's still never seen combat, a long list of insubordination and screw-ups indeed.

And we don't exactly know when the normal Xeno-Zip was developed, just when the bad batch made it notorious, after the Goodwill Games incident when Neopharm started changing up the formula after the real Royal Jelly from the original formula started running out. The old formula may have been addicting but not necessarily lethal or a miraculous wonder drug as it suddenly became known. Also Kleist begins Rogue talking about commercially available drugs processed from the Royal Jelly and since ZCT and Grant Corporation were explicit competitors engaged in regular corporate espionage with each other, I just assumed normal Xeno-Zip had been around since at least then. So there's little bit of wiggle room for CM to predate Genocide at least, and it solves the Vasquez knowing her sister problem.

Buuuuut I've totally digressed, this is chat for a different thread. Thanks for nerding out with me, sorry for derailing the topic!

SM

SM

QuoteRight you are about that Xeno-Zip reference in CM.  But the problem becomes that it makes Carmen Vasquez old as hell for her job. Like 45 or something and she's still never seen combat, a long list of insubordination and screw-ups indeed.

'Unusually long hypersleep'.

SpaceKase

SpaceKase

Quote from: SM on Mar 25, 2021, 03:19:53 AM
QuoteRight you are about that Xeno-Zip reference in CM.  But the problem becomes that it makes Carmen Vasquez old as hell for her job. Like 45 or something and she's still never seen combat, a long list of insubordination and screw-ups indeed.

'Unusually long hypersleep'.

Ha! Maybe. In the age of Gravity Drive when hypersleep chambers started becoming less necessary maybe they started using it as punishment instead, Demolition Man style. Who needs a brig?

Huggs

Wasn't there a section in one of the novels that talked about malfunctioning hypersleep chambers causing the occupant to become trapped in their own minds for what seemed like a thousand years and come out crazy?

SpaceKase

SpaceKase

Quote from: Huggs on Mar 25, 2021, 04:51:57 AM
Wasn't there a section in one of the novels that talked about malfunctioning hypersleep chambers causing the occupant to become trapped in their own minds for what seemed like a thousand years and come out crazy?

I think it was Predator Incursion by Tim Lebbon, the first book in the Rage War trilogy. Their technology was "suspension pods" and I think they insulate you from the rest of spacetime, to avoid the inverted relativistic effect that happens when your ship transits out of normal space and back again. There's this kinda spacey Bose-Einstein Condensate type of gel you get immersed in, I imagine it's a lot like that Love Death and Robots short "Beyond the Aquila Rift".

By the late 2600's the ftl tech they use is limited distance Jump Points and a pretty slow and costly ftl system that runs on stupidly rare Trimonite. But yeah, you can walk around while in ftl but, if you're human and not suspended during the transition between states, your brain is toast in a lovecraftian existential hell state kinda way.

SM

SM

None of that stuff ever made sense in Rage War.

SpaceKase

SpaceKase

Quote from: SM on Mar 25, 2021, 06:29:28 AM

I just chalked it up to another reinvention of the wheel. Some unspecified cataclysm occurred once again, (cause humans are fekkups) between the Resurrection era and the modern era, so comparatively the Trimonite drives are pretty basic af, probably a lot like the first human ftl tech from the mid 21st century. Then there's a reboot and advancement of the old abandoned gate system tech to pick up the slack, which itself was probably only ever in-system when it first developed, ala the gates in Cowboy Beebop. But once Weyland's portable ftl got cheap enough or maybe finally got some decent competition, the gates went the way of the Zepplin.

Delta Echo Alpha Delta

Delta Echo Alpha Delta

Quote from: tyrannosaurusjones on Mar 20, 2021, 03:46:50 AM
I don't know why any of you would pay money to find out after all this. I sure as f**k am not.

The first comic I won't be buying. It's really disappointing all this happening. I had high hopes.

Just glad it's not tied into any canon continuity with the Alien RPG, Titan Alien Books (as far as I know from Into Charybdis) and Aliens Fireteam (if they are going with Olivia Shipp storyline they teased previously).

I also didn't like the outburst Salvador Larocca had with his previous colourist. Had sexist tones.

"My editor already showed these (pages) with a horrible colour, I prefer to show them in black and white, which I prefer indefinitely more. A publisher such as Marvel with so terrible colorists... A woman, in this case."

Article here: https://bleedingcool.com/comics/salvador-larroca-trash-talks-his-colourists/

RUDE

BlueMarsalis79

Deeply disappointing to see people buying this honestly.

SM

SM

Quote from: SpaceKase on Mar 25, 2021, 06:48:40 AM
Quote from: SM on Mar 25, 2021, 06:29:28 AM

I just chalked it up to another reinvention of the wheel. Some unspecified cataclysm occurred once again, (cause humans are fekkups) between the Resurrection era and the modern era, so comparatively the Trimonite drives are pretty basic af, probably a lot like the first human ftl tech from the mid 21st century. Then there's a reboot and advancement of the old abandoned gate system tech to pick up the slack, which itself was probably only ever in-system when it first developed, ala the gates in Cowboy Beebop. But once Weyland's portable ftl got cheap enough or maybe finally got some decent competition, the gates went the way of the Zepplin.

My problem wasn't so much that was a regression, although that bug me, but more that it wasn't internally consistent.

BlueMarsalis79

You expected The Rage War to make sense?

SM

SM

It mostly did.

That bit didn't.

BlueMarsalis79

I don't think I'll ever get past the imagery of Aliens wearing masks in space amongst other things.

SiL

SiL

I resolutely refuse to read those books because the out of context comments about shit that happens in it are infinitely more entertaining than the books can ever be.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed