Alien - Inferno's Fall

Started by felix, Nov 27, 2021, 01:10:15 PM

Author
Alien - Inferno's Fall (Read 60,326 times)

Engineer

Engineer

Quote from: Gentleman Death on Apr 06, 2022, 06:03:09 PM
Quote from: TheBATMAN on Apr 06, 2022, 08:16:05 AM
I think Titan announced they are working in conjunction with the RPG and that the next several novels will have tie-in scenarios with the RPG.

I dont play it myself either but the lore is quite excellent.

Is there a way to read the lore without having to play the RPG?

You could read through the rpg book

Gentleman Death

Gentleman Death

Quote from: Engineer on Apr 06, 2022, 09:47:39 PM
I think Titan announced they are working in conjunction with the RPG and that the next several novels will have tie-in scenarios with the RPG.

But does that read more like a users manual or actual book?

Stitch

Stitch

I have the RPG, but I'm waiting for friends to become available to go through the scenarios. I don't want to spoil the game by reading it beforehand.

TheBATMAN

TheBATMAN

Quote from: Gentleman Death on Apr 06, 2022, 11:00:43 PM

But does that read more like a users manual or actual book?

It does although there is a timeline and universe overview then chapters at the end which cover the lore in depth. From memory its a good 100 pages of what is a 300 page book. Worth picking up if you can find a cheap second hand copy perhaps?

Kailem

Kailem

Quote from: Stitch on Apr 07, 2022, 01:54:18 AM

I have the RPG, but I'm waiting for friends to become available to go through the scenarios. I don't want to spoil the game by reading it beforehand.

Unless you're going to be the one running the game, you should definitely give the core rules book at least somewhat of a readthrough beforehand just to get yourself familiar with the rules and systems in play, since there are quite a lot of things you need to keep track of. It's also divided up into a "player's" and "game mother's" sections as well, so you can easily avoid any parts you think might spoil anything for you.

To be honest though as far as the core rules go, it's only really the included scenario "Hope's Last Day" that you'd want to completely avoid (again, unless you're going to be the one running it), and that's the very last thing in the book so it's easy not to read. A lot of the lore sections are in the "game mother" part of the book though, and detail the various governments, corporations and regions of space that might end up playing some part in your adventures, but they don't contain any actual spoilers. They're more there for potential inspiration for GM's to turn into homebrew scenarios and campaigns.

Similarly, the Colonial Marines Operations Manual has "player" and "GM" sections, and in that case much of the lore and timeline stuff about their creation and the battles they've fought over the years is in the player section. I know there's more stuff in the GM part of that book, but I've been avoiding that in hopes that one day we might get to play through the Marine campaign.

The cinematic scenarios though (Chariot of the Gods, Destroy of Worlds and Heart of Darkness) you should avoid reading at all unless you're planning on running them, as they're all about dem spoilers.

But yeah, even if you don't think you might actually end up playing it, the rpg is a fantastic source of lore and info, and by far the most cohesive and expansive tome on the Alien universe as a whole to date. Definitely worth checking out if you're a fan of the world-building side of things.

felix

felix

Delayed till August it seems.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I'm about 140 pages in and I'm happy to say I'm really enjoying it so far. A lot of strong and interesting world and character building going on.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I'm about 60 pages off the end of the book. I'm continuing to really enjoy it. Very well written, the characters are great - I'm especially liking Mae and the Knot group - and the world-building is really solid too. But I've hit a point that's confused regarding the creatures.

Spoiler
When the Juggernaught showed up and dropped it's cargo, I had taken away that it was mutating the colonists into Neomorphs. I'd been a little unsure of that in the first place as despite David saying the black goo did mutate the victims as well as killing, the Neomorphs seemed to have been quite specific in regards to how they developed. But we also saw Neomorphic creatures in David's bestiary so I rolled with it.

But it seems the books now depicting the mutated wild-life as being more XX121 in appearance, with a creature that seemed to resemble the sharks from Fire and Stone. Obviously Fire and Stone depicted the whole eco-system developing into more Alien-like creatures than Neomorphic like creatures, but the presence of both feels like a clash to me.
[close]

Protomorph

Protomorph

Where does this land in the chronology of the titan books?

Sorry if i've missed this already.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

How disappointing.

Wweyland

Wweyland

Any connections with Fireteam Elite in this?

xShadowFoxX

xShadowFoxX

Quote from: Protomorph on Jul 27, 2022, 01:00:02 PMWhere does this land in the chronology of the titan books?

I had the impression it takes place some time after Colony War. I already listened to the audiobook, and I like it a lot. There were some things I didn't like, but the characters and world building were what made this.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Wweyland on Jul 27, 2022, 09:31:29 PMAny connections with Fireteam Elite in this?

In some fashion.

Quote from: xShadowFoxX on Jul 28, 2022, 06:04:04 AM
Quote from: Protomorph on Jul 27, 2022, 01:00:02 PMWhere does this land in the chronology of the titan books?

I had the impression it takes place some time after Colony War.

It's definitely after Colony War. No doubt there. Not sure on how long exactly.

xShadowFoxX

xShadowFoxX

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 28, 2022, 09:58:22 AM
Quote from: Wweyland on Jul 27, 2022, 09:31:29 PMAny connections with Fireteam Elite in this?

In some fashion.

Quote from: xShadowFoxX on Jul 28, 2022, 06:04:04 AM

I had the impression it takes place some time after Colony War.

It's definitely after Colony War. No doubt there. Not sure on how long exactly.

I figured as much because it mentioned that Davis was a dog unless I heard something else, and that war between the colonies was still going on.. or it was.. it's interesting that the year wasn't specified because for all we know, it kinda felt like the war between the colonies was over.. unless I'm wrong.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

The Colony War really wasn't that much of a focus in the book at all. But iirc it was mentioned.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed