Aliens vs Predator: Rift War (2022)

Started by felix, Oct 16, 2021, 10:32:26 PM

Author
Aliens vs Predator: Rift War (2022) (Read 24,245 times)

Stitch

Stitch

Quote from: SiL on Oct 18, 2021, 05:35:21 AM
Yvonne's back?

f**king sold, Music of the Spears was one of my favourites.
seconded

VeteranSergeant

Quote from: Trash Queen on Oct 16, 2021, 11:44:44 PM
Yes apparently, we must have dumb shit attached, every single f**king time.

And with the mediocrity of Infiltrator, this' one to look forward to.
One half of this author team is the guy who wrote the exceedingly slow paced and blandly boilerplate Aliens: Infiltrator, and the other half is his wife, the one who wrote that absurdly stupid short story in the Bug Hunt anthology about Hicks' previously-unmentioned wife who died to the Aliens, but Hicks never mentioned anything about her or knowing of the existence of hostile, dangerous Aliens that slaughtered his entire previous squad, and instead seemed thoroughly unimpressed by the idea of another "bug hunt."

Might as well accept this is going to be a dumpster fire.

As far as flying Aliens, inherently not a terrible idea, but they're probably going to fly via Tyranid Magic, rather than physics.  Every flying species we've ever known, going back to the dinosaurs, had tremendous wingspan to body mass ratios. A flying Alien would theoretically have to be pretty small with giant wings, and wouldn't have a very thick carapace. To be able to also to do any heavy lifting like carrying off the weight of a full sized man?  It would be gigantic. the pteranodon with its 6m wingspan is estimated to not weigh more than 60 to 70 pounds.

A cool *idea*, but depends how much science you like in your science fiction.

GreybackElder

I loved the rage war trilogy. I hope this one lives up to the that? I like the idea of the DNA reflex being toyed with. To be fair the story its seems like it's pretty generic. How many AVP novels have the same trope. Ritual hunt + aliens + colonists.  = AVP.  What I absolutely loved about Tim Lebbon's rage war trilogy it's scope. It expanded across the whole galaxy with focus on characters on spaceships, space stations and planets. I feel like going back to a colony is a step backwards.

Some Old Dude

True to my luck the paperback Omni that has the Music of the Spears novelisation is out of print. I'll have to check out the comic book version on the Vol 2 omnibus.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: VeteranSergeant on Oct 18, 2021, 08:43:44 PM
Quote from: Trash Queen on Oct 16, 2021, 11:44:44 PM
Yes apparently, we must have dumb shit attached, every single f**king time.

And with the mediocrity of Infiltrator, this' one to look forward to.
One half of this author team is the guy who wrote the exceedingly slow paced and blandly boilerplate Aliens: Infiltrator, and the other half is his wife, the one who wrote that absurdly stupid short story in the Bug Hunt anthology about Hicks' previously-unmentioned wife who died to the Aliens, but Hicks never mentioned anything about her or knowing of the existence of hostile, dangerous Aliens that slaughtered his entire previous squad, and instead seemed thoroughly unimpressed by the idea of another "bug hunt."

Might as well accept this is going to be a dumpster fire.

As much as I dislike the mentioned stories above, they did write other entries - Weston wrote a great short in If It Bleeds and Yvonne's Music of the Spears is one of my top 5 Alien novels. She's also writing a short in the AvP anthology so we'll see that one soon too.

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: GreybackElder on Oct 18, 2021, 10:15:45 PM
I loved the rage war trilogy. ... What I absolutely loved about Tim Lebbon's rage war trilogy it's scope. It expanded across the whole galaxy with focus on characters on spaceships, space stations and planets.

[cancerblack]

Quote from: VeteranSergeant on Oct 18, 2021, 08:43:44 PM
As far as flying Aliens, inherently not a terrible idea, but they're probably going to fly via Tyranid Magic, rather than physics.  Every flying species we've ever known, going back to the dinosaurs, had tremendous wingspan to body mass ratios. A flying Alien would theoretically have to be pretty small with giant wings, and wouldn't have a very thick carapace. To be able to also to do any heavy lifting like carrying off the weight of a full sized man?  It would be gigantic. the pteranodon with its 6m wingspan is estimated to not weigh more than 60 to 70 pounds.

Keep in mind that being comparatively small/light doesn't prevent being hyper-dangerous. Haast's Eagle, which weighed about 15kg and had a 3m wingspan, was "able to kill adult moa weighing up to 230 kilograms". There's a lot of scope to make it work.

But you're probably right in regards to how it'll be handwaved.

VeteranSergeant

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Oct 19, 2021, 07:29:59 AMAs much as I dislike the mentioned stories above, they did write other entries - Weston wrote a great short in If It Bleeds and Yvonne's Music of the Spears is one of my top 5 Alien novels. She's also writing a short in the AvP anthology so we'll see that one soon too.
Maybe, but she didn't actually write the story for Music of the Spears, she adapted and wrote the novelization it.  The story for Music of the Spears was written by Chet Williamson, so all the conceptual heavy lifting was done by him. 

My only hope is that she didn't originally write that short in Bug Hunt with Hicks as the central character, and that was an editorial change down the line, which is a possibility. There seems to have been a lot of shoehorning in that anthology to get characters from the film in there. And I mean, the Dan Abnett story is 100% an unused Imperial Guard story he had lying around, with all the 40K elements taken out and replaced with Colonial Marines references, lol.

Though either way, Reclamation is not really a very good story. But, in fairness, military fiction might be out of her wheelhouse and she writes better characters and stories in other frameworks.

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: VeteranSergeant on Oct 19, 2021, 08:26:06 PM
Maybe, but she didn't actually write the story for Music of the Spears, she adapted and wrote the novelization it.  The story for Music of the Spears was written by Chet Williamson, so all the conceptual heavy lifting was done by him. 

This

SiL

SiL

The novelisation was still well written and fleshed out in interesting and creative ways. It's a bit disingenuous to dismiss the quality of the piece because somebody else wrote the foundation.

Some Old Dude

Quote from: VeteranSergeant on Oct 19, 2021, 08:26:06 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Oct 19, 2021, 07:29:59 AMAs much as I dislike the mentioned stories above, they did write other entries - Weston wrote a great short in If It Bleeds and Yvonne's Music of the Spears is one of my top 5 Alien novels. She's also writing a short in the AvP anthology so we'll see that one soon too.

F*****g Chet.

[cancerblack]

Do you mean the writer or the fugly Predalien?

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: SiL on Oct 19, 2021, 10:42:32 PM
The novelisation was still well written and fleshed out in interesting and creative ways. It's a bit disingenuous to dismiss the quality of the piece because somebody else wrote the foundation.

Indeed. They don't just write out the comics - they expand on it. There's more going off than just describing the events of the panels and re-writing the dialogue. I disliked Reclamation myself - largely because of how highly I held Music - but it being adaptation takes nothing away from her.

Voodoo Magic

I'm just hoping for the best and excited we're getting some more AvP media!

Wweyland

AvP stuff is good while the Predator content is on a bit of a pause.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed