Rebellion Coming Back?

Started by Spoonman101, Jul 14, 2014, 06:08:09 AM

Author
Rebellion Coming Back? (Read 53,170 times)

Bio Mech Hunter

Bio Mech Hunter

Quote from: AJL on Jul 22, 2014, 01:25:28 PM
AvP2010 had many issues for sure, but many of them I believe could have been easily fixed by modders if only they had released SDK for the game.. But they didn't.. And why ?? Is Rebellion is to blame ?? Or Sega ?? Or... ??

I hope the next AvP game will be made by someone who hold modding in a "slightly" higher regard.. ::)
Holy crap! AJL!!! :o Man, you had the BEST AVP mod. Ever. Of all time. My friends and I played the hell out of it for years on end. Good times. Good times. :D

I'd love to see what you could've done with AVP'10 had Rebellion released the SDK. :'(

Vertigo

Vertigo

Quote from: skull-splitter on Jul 22, 2014, 05:05:34 PM
Wishing for SDK's/mod-support in 2014 is ignoring the increasing dependency on DLC... Idealy, yes, SDK's/level editors are provided...

The two aren't mutually exclusive. Elder Scrolls games have eye-poppingly productive modding communities and a very successful set of DLCs/expansions. Same goes for Dawn of War, Total War, CS:GO and Civilization.

Does help when the developers' content is deep and asset-rich, on a scale that modders rarely attempt - more Dragonborn than Horse Armour, for example.

Hallowmass

Hallowmass

Mini-rant:

AVP 2010 was doomed to mediocrity right from the initial development decisions.  I remember all these press interviews with Rebellion's development team leading up to the release of the game, and they kept repeating the same thing over and over...

"We're working really hard to 'balance' the game."
"We want to get the 'balance' just right."
"We have teams of people playing night and day to nail down the proper 'balance' between the species."

And right there I knew the game would be "average" at best.  And it was.

Let's be honest.  What does "balancing" mean?  It means nerfing.  It means taking everything that the fans love about these creatures and watering it down to the point where NOBODY is happy.

Monolith had it right.  LET THE PLAYERS DECIDE WHAT IS "BALANCED".

If you think the Predator's smart disc is too overpowered, fine.  Host your own match and turn those off.  If someone doesn't agree with that, they can play with a different host.  If they could do it on the PC back in 2000, there's absolutely no reason why they can't do it on both PC and consoles today.  The moment a developer starts thinking that it's going to force this "one size fits all" determination of what is "balanced" on the community by nerfing everything, the game is destined for bargain bin obscurity.

Of course, the developer inevitably comes back with the "Well, we don't want to divide up the player community" line.  Well, guess what?  You know what REALLY divides up the player community?  Making a boring, watered-down game.  After less than 90 days, there weren't enough people playing online to even get a decent match started.  If you take the time to cater the game to what the PLAYERS (read: "paying customers") want, there will be plenty of players hosting plenty of matches.

So please...Rebellion or whoever might make another AVP game in the future:  please stop ruining these characters.  Give us ALL the genuine weapons and all the skins from the films and give players the tools to decide what to do with them in multiplayer.

Oh, and for god's sake...somebody show the ALIEN some damn respect.  Enough with the snarling dogs on all-fours thing.  That's not an ALIEN.  I don't know if Creative Assembly's "Isolation" game will be any good this fall, but their Alien looks a hell of a lot better than anything seen in AVP 2010.

PsyKore

PsyKore

Quote from: skull-splitter on Jul 22, 2014, 05:05:34 PM
Nope. It looked nice but lacked finishing, it played horrible (well, as a PC-shooter anyway, haven't played on console for a good reason) and it ran decent but not impressive.

Rubbish. It played well and looked/ran well.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Psykore you are my dude and while 2010 was better than ACM it was several steps down from either the first two games.

But I won't say its a presentation issue but more the style of play they brought in.  Hackneyed weak story with button mashing prompt gameplay.  Just didn't feel that it fit at all. 

The whole time I played it with the exception of elements of the Pred it felt like just a cheap b horror movie knockoff of an actual Alien or Predator campaign.  There was no horror, no atmosphere, it just felt weak.

I didn't think it looked bad, and didn't mind the future tech by the Marines, and thought that the 2010 game actually portrayed the "warrior cult" of the Marine Corps the best of any game/movie/book in the franchise.  But that's all I'm giving it.   

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

I'm down for another AvP game from Rebellion, I really liked AvP2010.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Quote from: Hallowmass on Jul 23, 2014, 01:57:26 AM
Mini-rant:

AVP 2010 was doomed to mediocrity right from the initial development decisions.  I remember all these press interviews with Rebellion's development team leading up to the release of the game, and they kept repeating the same thing over and over...

"We're working really hard to 'balance' the game."
"We want to get the 'balance' just right."
"We have teams of people playing night and day to nail down the proper 'balance' between the species."

And right there I knew the game would be "average" at best.  And it was.

Let's be honest.  What does "balancing" mean?  It means nerfing.  It means taking everything that the fans love about these creatures and watering it down to the point where NOBODY is happy.

Monolith had it right.  LET THE PLAYERS DECIDE WHAT IS "BALANCED".

If you think the Predator's smart disc is too overpowered, fine.  Host your own match and turn those off.  If someone doesn't agree with that, they can play with a different host.  If they could do it on the PC back in 2000, there's absolutely no reason why they can't do it on both PC and consoles today.  The moment a developer starts thinking that it's going to force this "one size fits all" determination of what is "balanced" on the community by nerfing everything, the game is destined for bargain bin obscurity.

Of course, the developer inevitably comes back with the "Well, we don't want to divide up the player community" line.  Well, guess what?  You know what REALLY divides up the player community?  Making a boring, watered-down game.  After less than 90 days, there weren't enough people playing online to even get a decent match started.  If you take the time to cater the game to what the PLAYERS (read: "paying customers") want, there will be plenty of players hosting plenty of matches.

So please...Rebellion or whoever might make another AVP game in the future:  please stop ruining these characters.  Give us ALL the genuine weapons and all the skins from the films and give players the tools to decide what to do with them in multiplayer.

Oh, and for god's sake...somebody show the ALIEN some damn respect.  Enough with the snarling dogs on all-fours thing.  That's not an ALIEN.  I don't know if Creative Assembly's "Isolation" game will be any good this fall, but their Alien looks a hell of a lot better than anything seen in AVP 2010.

this guy is closer to my thought process

we should post a manifesto on rebellion's website.  Even though we will all buy the game anyways and Rebellion will just knock off COD again anyways. 

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

I didn't mind the 2010 game. The Marine campaign was great and the Predator one wasn't bad either. The Alien one was weak though and I hated how they just recycled the same six levels for each character. The multiplayer was awesome when I could get a game but the matchmaking was totally f*cked, on the PS3 at least.

Still, overall I quite enjoyed it and I'd be interested in them doing another.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

AvP2010 was nothing like CoD.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Not really.  ACM followed more in COD's footsteps.  But they modernized it too much with the prompt button mashing bs.

It was better when your alien/pred could do whatever he wanted.  The animations for the prompt kills became so long that nobody ended up using them anyways which added to their uselessness.

Bring back the auto firing headbites/tail stab and get rid of the prompt button mashing. 

Perfectly timing a charged wristblade strike in the original AvP to pop off an alien's head was awesome.  Blocking an attack and pressing square to perform a finisher that leaves you totally open to attacks whilst doing it is lame.  I got half my kills in multi just sitting back and waiting for somebody to engage in a button mash fest and picking them off while they did it. 

It was a lame mechanic.

Spoonman101

Spoonman101

I remember players being a bit more tactical with stealth kills and finishers once the game got older... The problem I find with the melee mechanic is you couldn't combatant two or more threats at the same time, something I had a lot of fun with in AvP2. Hallowmass pointed out something I've never considered could have perhaps been the downfall of AvP2010; Rebellion's quest for balance... However I never felt anything was nerfed really... I however felt that Rebellion didn't really attempt to put in maximum effort...

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Spoonman101 on Jul 24, 2014, 03:22:35 PMI however felt that Rebellion didn't really attempt to put in maximum effort...

Judging by the concept art, the game was scaled back quite a bit during development.

Spoonman101

Spoonman101

I really hate sitting here and saying "They should have done this or should have done that." But would you all agree that this game would have been better with more variety? Everything felt so limited...

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Absolutely. The thing that hurt it most was the fact they only made five or six different levels for the campaign, then just kept recycling them. That was really weak.

Spoonman101

Spoonman101

I hated that so much! How did you feel about the maps for multiplayer? I thought that they were rather small and didn't really cater much to the Alien universe,  Refinery aside.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed